On 7/21/2022 at 7:51 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

Would it be going above and beyond to do this on ps4, and a realistic lv?

Yes

On 7/24/2022 at 1:16 PM, Xeldrak said:

Alright, so I went with a Voyager remake. I tried to make my probe look as much as the original and also, I tried to launch it with my version of a Titan IIIE Rocket. Because I cant fold up my probe, the fairing obviously doesn't look original. I have to say - it's a strange rocket. It has giant SRBs and a tiny second stage.

Also, I didn't achieve Kerbolar Escape, just a 1080 year eliptical orbit. 

Reveal hidden contents

UOEQ1d1.jpgdEtEKBQ.jpg3H9t2JH.jpgjPtZaUy.jpgKkCYtP8.jpgGfCm580.jpg

Here's your badge!

Replica-Normal.png

20 hours ago, BuranAce said:

Sorry got carried away with making a KSP alt history roleplay group and irl stuff to do the challenge, might actually get back to it however im using KSRSS

KSRSS is OK

Thanks for the challenge @Akagi! Here's my modded Viking replica.

Game version: 1.12.3, Stock + both DLCs

Mods: Click Through Blocker, Kerbal Engineer Redux, Module Manager, Spacetux Library, Stage Recovery, Restock, Restock+

Mission:

Spoiler

KU37a0K.jpg

Titan IIIE-Centaur rocket in the VAB

yf9HoWA.jpg

On the launchpad

6reqCu9.jpg

Liftoff

rcFdXSO.jpg

SRB separation. I chose a more vertical ascent trajectory due to low TWR in the second stage.

kj3RFBf.jpg

Second stage ignition after fairing and first stage separation.

6QvTdCT.jpg

Centaur third stage accelerating the spacecraft to orbital velocity.

c4c4vxc.jpg

The remaining fuel in the Centaur is used to begin the Duna transfer burn.

XjQg4pj.jpg

The orbiter's engine finishes the transfer burn. In reality, the Centaur stage completed the entire burn.

ii0Tg6w.jpg

The Duna orbit insertion requires all remaining fuel in the orbiter.

l2InLYz.jpg

In elliptical Duna orbit

WwiAJM2.jpg

Map view showing orbit. This orbit is just the lowest I could get with what fuel remained in the orbiter and is not intended to be historically accurate.

dOKIIiA.jpg

Jettison of the cap of the "bioshield" -- a pressurized and sterilized container in which the lander was stored during launch. In the actual mission, this cap was actually jettisoned immediately after the Mars transfer burn but I didn't find out about this until afterwards. In addition, part of the bioshield also remained attached to the orbiter.

HPds1IQ.jpg

Orbiter-lander separation

aJs9ANR.jpg

Lander deorbit burn

Gze4dff.jpg

Lander parachute deployment

CV29Yqe.jpg

Touchdown successful!

yAZ5prS.jpg

Lander with antenna, science instruments and "robotic arm" deployed

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 12:20 AM, IntellectualTortoise said:

Thanks for the challenge @Akagi! Here's my modded Viking replica.

Game version: 1.12.3, Stock + both DLCs

Mods: Click Through Blocker, Kerbal Engineer Redux, Module Manager, Spacetux Library, Stage Recovery, Restock, Restock+

Mission:

Hide contents

KU37a0K.jpg

Titan IIIE-Centaur rocket in the VAB

yf9HoWA.jpg

On the launchpad

6reqCu9.jpg

Liftoff

rcFdXSO.jpg

SRB separation. I chose a more vertical ascent trajectory due to low TWR in the second stage.

kj3RFBf.jpg

Second stage ignition after fairing and first stage separation.

6QvTdCT.jpg

Centaur third stage accelerating the spacecraft to orbital velocity.

c4c4vxc.jpg

The remaining fuel in the Centaur is used to begin the Duna transfer burn.

XjQg4pj.jpg

The orbiter's engine finishes the transfer burn. In reality, the Centaur stage completed the entire burn.

ii0Tg6w.jpg

The Duna orbit insertion requires all remaining fuel in the orbiter.

l2InLYz.jpg

In elliptical Duna orbit

WwiAJM2.jpg

Map view showing orbit. This orbit is just the lowest I could get with what fuel remained in the orbiter and is not intended to be historically accurate.

dOKIIiA.jpg

Jettison of the cap of the "bioshield" -- a pressurized and sterilized container in which the lander was stored during launch. In the actual mission, this cap was actually jettisoned immediately after the Mars transfer burn but I didn't find out about this until afterwards. In addition, part of the bioshield also remained attached to the orbiter.

HPds1IQ.jpg

Orbiter-lander separation

aJs9ANR.jpg

Lander deorbit burn

Gze4dff.jpg

Lander parachute deployment

CV29Yqe.jpg

Touchdown successful!

yAZ5prS.jpg

Lander with antenna, science instruments and "robotic arm" deployed

Copy and paste into sig:

download-7.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 10:16 AM, Akagi said:

Your challenge is as follows:

1. Select a historical spacecraft to replicate from the list below (but don't forget to Kerbalize it!)

Sputnik 1 (LKO)

Hubble Space Telescope (LKO)

JWST (HKO around Minmus's orbit)

ISS (LKO)

Apollo 15 (Mun)

Apollo 11 (Mun)

Curiosity (Duna)

Juno (Jool)

Voyager (flyby of Jool to Kerbolar escape)

Viking (Duna)

Venera 11 (Eve)

Luna 16 (Mun)

2. Land one of the following on its target body.

3. Submit your ship! Required screenshots:

3-A. Your ship in the VAB, with part count and mass.

3-B. Your ship on the launchpad.

3-C. Your payload in the target orbit. (For lander: Your ship in orbit of the body to be landed on)

3-D. Your lander(if used) on the target body.

Replica-Normal.png

Badge (any completed mission)

download-5.png

Featherweight Badge (any mission below 10 tons)

download-7.png

Above and Beyond Badge (exceeding requirements, i.e. realistic launcher, realistic orbit, etc.)

Please note: Every time you do a mission, you get a badge.

MODS ALLOWED

• DLCs are, of course, allowed.
  • MechJeb and other autopilot mods are allowed.
  • Ask before you use a part mod.
  • Mods that actually add any of the ships above are NOT allowed! That is classed as cheating. A major part of this challenge is the creativity needed to create these replicas.

LEADERBOARD

Unmodded

@Akagi -Juno mission. 250,350 funds, 66 parts. 850.198 tons. STOCK. Done without NERVs or ions. Accurate orbit, semi-accurate launch vehicle. Above and Beyond!

@QF9E - Apollo to Tylo. 220,959 funds, 212 parts. 561.069 tons. STOCK + DLC. Above and Beyond! Awesome down to the ULLAGE MOTORS!

@Akagi - Sputnik 1. 20,034 funds, 93 parts. 17.316 tons. STOCK. This one and Juno are the only two ones I'm going to do.

@Kerb24 - Sputnik 1. 29,572 funds, 48 parts. 55.678 tons. STOCK. Using accurate engines for once...

@Falcon 09 Andy - Sputnik 1. STOCK. 

@QF9E - Luna 16. 32,797 funds, 74 parts. 75.134 tons. Above and Beyond! A spectacular lander, a not-so-spectacular launcher...

@4D4850 - Venera 11. funds, parts. tons. Inaccurate launch vehicle, but no parachutes! *unfinished*

@QF9E - Venera 11. funds, parts. tons. Accurate launch vehicle, no parachutes! *unfinished*

@Kerb24 - Literally the ENTIRE ISS. Above and Beyond!

Modded

@Scarecrow71 - Sputnik 1. Stock + DLC. 19,459 funds, 23 parts. 43.420 tons. Above and Beyond for accurate orbit and launch vehicle!

@BuranAce - Juno. BDB for Atlas V and solar panels. funds, parts. 0.00 tons *unfinished*

Luna 16. Challenge accepted

On 8/26/2022 at 9:51 AM, Akagi said:

Yes

interesting.........

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While it wasn't on the list, I decided to fly a replica of my favorite spacecraft,  Surveyor 1, the first American lunar soft-lander.  Just flying a lunar lander was a bit easy (especially something as small as my Surveyor replica), so I also built a replica of the Atlas-Centaur 10 booster. Most of the craft is historically accurate, down to the RCS thruster placement on the Centaur stage. I did have to do a bit of part clipping to get the Atlas looking and flying right, so hopefully that's ok. 

Mods: ReStock and just about every visuals mod I could get my hands on, as well as Trajectories so I could time the descent burn. 

screenshot8.png?width=2355&height=1325

In the VAB. I tried to get the lengths of the side cable runs and electronics bays right for an Atlas-D, but they're not perfect. The launch clamps are more or less where the Atlas vehicle was held down. 

screenshot12.png?width=2355&height=1325

On the pad, ready to make history.

screenshot16-min.png?width=2355&height=1

Ascent. In the historical orientation ( -y axis pointing downrange) the rocket is very unstable, and I had to clip 4 small fins into the lower booster so it didn't tumble during the gravity turn. 

screenshot19.png?width=2355&height=1325

Just like the real Atlas, this replica has a stage-and-a-half booster, where the external engines are discarded while the core engine carries the half- empty rocket onwards. 

screenshot23.png?width=2355&height=1325

Stage 1.5 burn, getting into a suborbital trajectory.

screenshot24.png?width=2355&height=1325

Just like the real Atlas, the core engine is shut down early and the LR-101 vernier thrusters are used to ease the rocket up to its target velocity (fun fact: this feature is left over from the Atlas's ICBM days, where a very precise final velocity was required)

screenshot25.png?width=2355&height=1325

Centaur separation

screenshot26.png?width=2355&height=1325

Ullage burn prior to Centaur ignition. The RCS locations are based on this diagram for Atlas-Centaur 10 and are almost historical ( I didn't bother getting an exact 25 degree angle for the roll jets )

screenshot28.png?width=2355&height=1325

Injection into a direct impact with the Mun. I substituted in a big solar panel in place of Surveyor's planar high-gain antenna for looks. 

screenshot29.png?width=2355&height=1325

Centaur separation.

screenshot32.png?width=2355&height=1325

Firing of the STAR-37 retrorocket. In the real Surveyor, the retrorocket is recessed into the structure of the lander, but due to the size limitations of KSP's stock solids I had to make do. 

screenshot33.png?width=2355&height=1325

After being slowed to near zero velocity, Surveyor ignites its vernier engines for the terminal descent.

screenshot34.png?width=2355&height=1325

Pretty.

screenshot35-min.png?width=2355&height=1

At an altitude of 5 meters, the velocity is brought to zero and the engines are shut off to prevent contamination of the surface.  The last 5 meters of freefall result in a 3 m/s touchdown velocity.

screenshot37.png?width=2355&height=1325

And touchdown of Surveyor 1, the first American lunar lander!

Hopefully this isn't too far away from the intended list of missions to be included, and apologies for the long post, I just had a lot of pretty pictures :)

Thanks for starting this challenge, it was really fun! I might take a stab at Luna 16 soon!

On 11/10/2022 at 8:51 PM, Aswe23 said:

While it wasn't on the list, I decided to fly a replica of my favorite spacecraft,  Surveyor 1, the first American lunar soft-lander.  Just flying a lunar lander was a bit easy (especially something as small as my Surveyor replica), so I also built a replica of the Atlas-Centaur 10 booster. Most of the craft is historically accurate, down to the RCS thruster placement on the Centaur stage. I did have to do a bit of part clipping to get the Atlas looking and flying right, so hopefully that's ok. 

Mods: ReStock and just about every visuals mod I could get my hands on, as well as Trajectories so I could time the descent burn. 

screenshot8.png?width=2355&height=1325

In the VAB. I tried to get the lengths of the side cable runs and electronics bays right for an Atlas-D, but they're not perfect. The launch clamps are more or less where the Atlas vehicle was held down. 

screenshot12.png?width=2355&height=1325

On the pad, ready to make history.

screenshot16-min.png?width=2355&height=1

Ascent. In the historical orientation ( -y axis pointing downrange) the rocket is very unstable, and I had to clip 4 small fins into the lower booster so it didn't tumble during the gravity turn. 

screenshot19.png?width=2355&height=1325

Just like the real Atlas, this replica has a stage-and-a-half booster, where the external engines are discarded while the core engine carries the half- empty rocket onwards. 

screenshot23.png?width=2355&height=1325

Stage 1.5 burn, getting into a suborbital trajectory.

screenshot24.png?width=2355&height=1325

Just like the real Atlas, the core engine is shut down early and the LR-101 vernier thrusters are used to ease the rocket up to its target velocity (fun fact: this feature is left over from the Atlas's ICBM days, where a very precise final velocity was required)

screenshot25.png?width=2355&height=1325

Centaur separation

screenshot26.png?width=2355&height=1325

Ullage burn prior to Centaur ignition. The RCS locations are based on this diagram for Atlas-Centaur 10 and are almost historical ( I didn't bother getting an exact 25 degree angle for the roll jets )

screenshot28.png?width=2355&height=1325

Injection into a direct impact with the Mun. I substituted in a big solar panel in place of Surveyor's planar high-gain antenna for looks. 

screenshot29.png?width=2355&height=1325

Centaur separation.

screenshot32.png?width=2355&height=1325

Firing of the STAR-37 retrorocket. In the real Surveyor, the retrorocket is recessed into the structure of the lander, but due to the size limitations of KSP's stock solids I had to make do. 

screenshot33.png?width=2355&height=1325

After being slowed to near zero velocity, Surveyor ignites its vernier engines for the terminal descent.

screenshot34.png?width=2355&height=1325

Pretty.

screenshot35-min.png?width=2355&height=1

At an altitude of 5 meters, the velocity is brought to zero and the engines are shut off to prevent contamination of the surface.  The last 5 meters of freefall result in a 3 m/s touchdown velocity.

screenshot37.png?width=2355&height=1325

And touchdown of Surveyor 1, the first American lunar lander!

Hopefully this isn't too far away from the intended list of missions to be included, and apologies for the long post, I just had a lot of pretty pictures :)

Thanks for starting this challenge, it was really fun! I might take a stab at Luna 16 soon!

Wow! Take an Above and Beyond badge, for sure!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Second try of making the Sputnik-1! I'd still love to make the side boosters better, but I don't really have any parts to do so. I hope this suffices!

Rocket in VAB

VE9mZAmqbCjX.png?o=1

Liftoff!

8L25qdgNv05I.png?o=1

Beautiful shot

V5jdRkqAzjLs.png?o=1

In orbit

D4bm4XcLoa0e.png?o=1

Probe in LKO!

mmkbZwOwwSJq.png?o=1

kHU9KCHR05Ga.png?o=1

Do I get a badge now? O.O

Edited by mmiillmm

• 1 month later...

I present my replica of Explorer 1, the first satalite launched by the U.S.

mods used are Restock and Restock+

BXjRVhl.pngThe satelite itself. I wouldv'e liked for it to be a narrower like the real thing, but this was the best I could do.

7Bd2W4J.pngthe asembled "high speed stages", notice the layerd clustering of SRBs.

yan0mW2.pngThe completed rocket with the Juno 1 booster in the VAB.

A few shots of the flight:

GpydXxq.png

FMoBseU.png

GNtqvKW.png

LxDeGI4.png

RipPe5y.png

Roo4bYj.png

the finished probe, containing "thermal measuring ecuipment"( a 2HOT thermometer), just like the real thing.

TzhZ5DW.png

Edited by Snigel

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.