Gilly Society!

Akagi

No one likes Gilly. She's even less popular than Dres. So, everyone, let's send Gilly some love! 

RULES:

1. Your challenge must be original. No crappy little landers, no SSTOs. I'm willing to consider sending a hundred landers or a hundred SSTOs, but no little missions!

2. Make a large mission. A giant Nerv-powered transport carting 45 landers to pepper the surface? GREAT! Putting 5 comets in orbit of Gilly? Yep! Landing the Axiom from WALL-E on it? No copying me!

3. Plant a "Gilly Love!" themed flag on it. Your screenshot must have said flag in it. Make your own! Just plant a flag on it, OK?

4. Post a screenshot from the surface of Gilly with your Gilly-themed flag, your lander, and Jeb. Must be Jeb. No exceptions.

BADGE: download-6.png

LEADERBOARD: this is not a competition!

CONTRIBUTORS:

@king of nowhere for landing a MOTHERSHIP on gilly!

Edited by Akagi

I always stopped at Gilly during my grand tours. Unfortunately, bad luck in resource distribution resulted in the moonlet being impossible to mine, or it would have been the best refueling spot in the whole kerbol system.

Anyway, I did once try to land my whole DREAM BIG mothership there to protect it from radiations. While the attempt ultimately failed and radiation protection required other means, I still landed a 4000-ton mothership on it, and I still got a picture

QhbT1KP.png

there's no score, but this should be worth a pretty good not-score

There's also that time I did drive several km a rover on Gilly and found the green monolith (subchapter 5.6). Which is a pretty good achievement, given how difficult it is to stay on the ground on that moonlet

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

I always stopped at Gilly during my grand tours. Unfortunately, bad luck in resource distribution resulted in the moonlet being impossible to mine, or it would have been the best refueling spot in the whole kerbol system.

Anyway, I did once try to land my whole DREAM BIG mothership there to protect it from radiations. While the attempt ultimately failed and radiation protection required other means, I still landed a 4000-ton mothership on it, and I still got a picture

QhbT1KP.png

there's no score, but this should be worth a pretty good not-score

There's also that time I did drive several km a rover on Gilly and found the green monolith (subchapter 5.6). Which is a pretty good achievement, given how difficult it is to stay on the ground on that moonlet

I followed that thread with delight! I know it shouldn't exist, but...

HERE'S YOUR GILLY LOVE BADGE! 

download-6.png

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

No crappy little landers? Aw. :'( 

Yep! Gilly needs love, crappy landers do NOT show support for Gilly and are NOT allowed.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would a medium-size SSTO (I know no SSTOs, but hear me out) with a surveying probe in the orbit and scientific exploration of the surface be okay for this challenge? It isn't a crappy little lander or a tiny SSTO like you said is banned.

1 hour ago, Autochrome said:

Would a medium-size SSTO (I know no SSTOs, but hear me out) with a surveying probe in the orbit and scientific exploration of the surface be okay for this challenge? It isn't a crappy little lander or a tiny SSTO like you said is banned.

Yes

If you get all 3 biomes and 4 sats in orbit

On 1/20/2022 at 1:21 AM, Akagi said:

No one likes Gilly.

Unless you happen to be short of fuel within the Eve SOI.

And it has this very interesting property that you can easily park your Gilly orbital fuel dump in a geosynchronous orbit, just 41 km above your surface mining rig, and shuttle fuel directly overhead for an exceedingly simple ascent/descent.

One just has to be wary at night that the yellow rectangular markers [f4] for targets on the other side of that moon will be visible and distant (seemingly not hazardous, e.g. 67 km) but because Gilly is so small,  it may still be between you and your target.  I've been caught napping more than once.

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Akagi said:

Yes

If you get all 3 biomes and 4 sats in orbit

Gilly only requires a puff of the nuclear engines to get to all of the biomes, so deal.

Also, I can deploy the four sats in polar orbit.

Edited by Autochrome

30 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Let's admit I crash a hundred asteroids -- or even comets -- on Gilly, would I still get my Gilly Love Badge?

Yes

If they land intact

2 minutes ago, Akagi said:

If they land intact

Ah.

I planned to just set them on an intercept trajectory, with one or two maneuvers for aiming

If the CBs in KSP were subjected to physics, I would use this method to put Gilly on a LKO to go there more easily.

Besides, potatoroids have great crash tolerance.

• 1 month later...

i have done many missions that need minimal weight and size but it seems like that some guys are wanting large things

so lemme invent something called large payload(yes all my kal cores are small and i only have small kal cores so either large filled fuel tank brick or large ore tank)

okay a total of 25 s4-512 fuel tanks

thats a good payload

13600 tons of payload

sorry it was actually 50 fuel tanks and 14400 tons

now problem comes to reaction wheels

four wheels for each top tank,thats in total 100 reaction wheels

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.