What's the name of your main series of rocket?

Akagi

I, being a huge Redwall fan, usually use two classes: the Salamondastron liquid-fuel, strap-on-booster, deep-space rockets and the Redwall series of liquid-fuel, no-booster probe launchers.

For all I care, the Mun doesn't exist. I landed on Minmus twice, but I touched down near the north pole and crashed my top-heavy lander both times. 

Edited by Vanamonde

MK-33 Spaceplanes: Sierra-OLS (Manned), Nevada-OLS (Unmanned).

Examples: The Falcon (SOLS-T1) and the Reliance (SOLS-N1). No Nevada-OLS's have been built.

Launchers: Gamma (Medium-Heavy), Bravo (Heavy), Samui (Light), and Atsui (Super Heavy).

Examples: Gamma DSRV (Weaponized Variant), Gamma HLV (Main Hydrolox Core w/Two SRB's), Gamma Heavy (Main Hydrolox Core w/Two Hydrolox Boosters), Tri-Gamma (Main Hydrolox Core w/Two Hydrolox Boosters), and the Gamma Ultra (Main Hydrolox Core w/Four Hydrolox Boosters).

Subject to change, though.

6 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

MK-33 Spaceplanes: Sierra-OLS (Manned), Nevada-OLS (Unmanned).

Examples: The Falcon (SOLS-T1) and the Reliance (SOLS-N1). No Nevada-OLS's have been built.

Launchers: Gamma (Medium-Heavy), Bravo (Heavy), Samui (Light), and Atsui (Super Heavy).

Examples: Gamma DSRV (Weaponized Variant), Gamma HLV (Main Hydrolox Core w/Two SRB's), Gamma Heavy (Main Hydrolox Core w/Two Hydrolox Boosters), Tri-Gamma (Main Hydrolox Core w/Two Hydrolox Boosters), and the Gamma Ultra (Main Hydrolox Core w/Four Hydrolox Boosters).

Subject to change, though.

nice names, but Salamandastron overtakes them ALL. ;)

Mine are descriptive;

Short Range SciPlane.

4PassNoSciOrb

WetNoodle.

Mun4SciNoPass

Makes it easier to pick them out of the saves craft list.

If I'm done with them and don't delete them, I'll rename with with a 'z' at the front so it drops to the bottom of the list.

Lol

Just now, Mahnarch said:

Mine are descriptive;

Short Range SciPlane.

4PassNoSciOrb

WetNoodle.

Mun4SciNoPass

Makes it easier to pick them out of the saves craft list.

If I'm done with them and don't delete them, I'll rename with with a 'z' at the front so it drops to the bottom of the list.

I have a miner0x series, a station0x series, a lander0x, a tanker, and a few smaller ones. They are named after the payload, and I have a few assemblies ready to add for the rocket - which I usually tweak anyway. Hmm, I should find some cooler names ..

In my current game, I'm sticking mostly to Ancient Greek mythology with a bit of Norse too. 

My crewed rocket series were Castor (2 kerbal, orbital), Pollux (3 kerbal, orbital), and Poseidon (3 kerbal, Mun/Minmus orbit and return).

However I'm in the midst of modernization to recoverable/reusable vehicles with Project Pegasus. 

Used to have a dozen or so lifter stages tucked as subassemblies for different payload mass and volumes to LKO, but nowadays I tend to rebuild everything from scratch. Each named accordingly.

I also overdesign and overpower my rockets anyway. Gones are the days I reached LKO with less than 50m/s left consistently. If the lifter can't haul itself to the Mun once the payload is off, I want none of it. K

As for naming the actual payloads and mission crafts, anything goes, which also tend to be the first idea that comes to me anyway. Current Gilly EL base is called OneFartToOrbit.

Edited by Axelord FTW

10 hours ago, Staticalliam7 said:

The "Obama Prism" Series (no, I'm not making this up, it was the first thing that came to mind when I built my first rocket in KSP)

Also, "Joe Bidome Mk1-4"

and of course

"[AUTOSAVE]Untitled Spacecraft"

Name your program the President Program!

My current main series is the BF-X Series, which stands for Brute Force, with the X standing for the number used to differentiate them. Currently, it consists of BF-1, with an estimated maximum payload of between 600 and 1,600 tons (can't remember off the top of my head); BF-2, with an estimated maximum payload of between 500 to 1,000 tons; and BF-3, with an estimated maximum payload of between 3,000 and 7,000 tons. There will most likely not be more than five or six members of the series, as it is simply unnecessary. Their purpose is to launch massive segments of orbital or interstellar craft, that would otherwise be impossible to construct.

Currently, they're being used to construct a massive interstellar colony ship that will travel to the closest system to Kerbol, on the third planet and its moon, that will contain a long-range comms station, two deployable launchpads, landing engines to convert the ship into a surface structure, and will set up a jumpgate at the edge of the system.

I tend to Kerbalize my ship names, with suffixes to indicate versions and/or capacity (Mk-1, Mk-2 etc for version. K8, K16 etc for crew capacity). For crew transport in the Kerbin system I created a line of ships called "KerBus". By the time I went interplanetary and had access to nuke engines, obviously the continuation of that line had to be called "NuKerBus". To celebrate the Parker Solar Probe kissing the Sun I made a Kerbol-diving station which is called the "Kerman Kerbolar Station". A design for high-G adventures was called the "Kerballistic". Some cheap impactor probes I made for seismic research were called "KerBomb". I refer to the escape/return pods for my orbital stations as "KerSplat". And on and on... As lame as it is (or maybe because it is) I still get a giggle out of it :D

1T is my main super heavy launcher, while 1J is my main rover. I try to give better names to my interplanetary big ships though. 

My Jool-5 mothership is called the Edge of Infinity, while an asteroid miner is called KSS Solitude, and a science ship is the White/Black Rainbow.

For context, a naming scheme I used was the first ship is named 1A, second 1B, so on.

I’ve been using rainbow codes for my rockets for a while now, however unlike the original system mine aren’t entirely random- instead I use the colour to denote a particular size or family of rockets and then a noun for the specific design.

In my most recent RP-1 game I’ve been launching a series of Red Woodwind rockets (Red Piccolo, Clarinet and Recorder, with Red Oboe and Red Bassoon as designs I didn’t take forward) and now I’ve started on Orange Brass, which so far has just one design- Orange Cornet. My previous playthrough also used his system, such as Green Bird (60t), Grey Shape (150t) and White Cloud (1500-3000t depending on how many boosters I used)m each of which had several rockets within it- Green Sparrow, Swallow, Eagle, Condor, Seagull and Albatross; Grey Sphere, Cube, Toroid, Tokamak, Cuboid and Prism; White Nimbus, Stratus and Cirrus.

Running out of names was an issue a couple of times (hence Grey Mobius and Grey Tokamak, for example) and remembering which of the various similar names was which mission was also a perennial problem, but other than that it’s a pretty versatile system that allows for iterating on the same design and avoids having to think of a proper name for everything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.