The 0.625-meter diameter challenge.

Akagi

Go to Jool. Drop a probe into Jool's atmosphere. Send 2 kerbals there and back.

But there's a twist.

You can only use .625 meter parts to do this when you're out of Kerbin's atmosphere. Go up to 70km, then eject ALL parts wider than .625 meters. The command seats, OKTO2, and .625 m shields will be your friend!

Sounds like a job for my ongoing project (a jet-engine and KAL powered SSTA (Single Stage to Anywhere)). 

If you care to read, here is the general structure of the SSTA:

Spoiler

The core of it is the tech discovered by Danny2462's 2nd absurd development. KAL underclocking allows for infinite fuel and intake air, while (if needed) KAL overclocking provides bonus thrust for the main engine. 

So, here is the parts list:

2 KALs

4 Junos, or 3 twitches and a spark (the spark or one of the junos would be the main engine, while the twitches or the remaining junos would be underclocked.)

An indeterminate number of Oscar-Bs or Mk0 liquid fuel tanks

Struts (Cubic Octagonal)

Struts (Regular)

Small nose cone or small circular intake

OKTO2 or Probodobodyne QB-E

2 EAS-1 External command seats

Small heat shield

A partridge in a kear tree Decorative RGB lighting.

I suppose I should ask if radially-attached parts are allowed, but I hope they are.

Spoiler
43 minutes ago, 4D4850 said:

The core of it is the tech discovered by Danny2462's 2nd absurd development. KAL underclocking allows for infinite fuel and intake air, while (if needed) KAL overclocking provides bonus thrust for the main engine. 

<whisper> What if I told you there's no need for a KAL at all, for either of those? By a technique discovered before even the very first MM patches, but not requiring MM or any mod/DLC part at all.

<shifty eyes> It's called 'notepad'. Or 'vi' in some circles.

41 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:
  Hide contents

<whisper> What if I told you there's no need for a KAL at all, for either of those? By a technique discovered before even the very first MM patches, but not requiring MM or any mod/DLC part at all.

<shifty eyes> It's called 'notepad'. Or 'vi' in some circles.

<sarcasm> Excuse me, but I only use GNU nano <end sarcasm>.  Ok, but I want the technique to be able to be done by anyone without using mods, and the craft file to be able to be used with only Stock+DLC

Just now, 4D4850 said:

Ok, but I want the technique to be able to be done by anyone without using mods, and the craft file to be able to be used with only Stock+DLC

47 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

not requiring MM or any mod/DLC part at all.

Pure stock game, no mods, no DLC, usable by anyone. That's what I meant.

A point of note: it is usually considered bad form using such techniques in challenges, unless the challenge owner explicitly mentions they are allowed. It's not exactly a challenge if the reasons why it would be challenging are effectively removed or circumvented. Not my call though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/27/2022 at 8:58 AM, 4D4850 said:

Sounds like a job for my ongoing project (a jet-engine and KAL powered SSTA (Single Stage to Anywhere)). 

If you care to read, here is the general structure of the SSTA:

Reveal hidden contents

So, here is the parts list:

2 KALs

4 Junos, or 3 twitches and a spark (the spark or one of the junos would be the main engine, while the twitches or the remaining junos would be underclocked.)

An indeterminate number of Oscar-Bs or Mk0 liquid fuel tanks

Struts (Cubic Octagonal)

Struts (Regular)

Small nose cone or small circular intake

OKTO2 or Probodobodyne QB-E

2 EAS-1 External command seats

Small heat shield

A partridge in a kear tree Decorative RGB lighting.

I suppose I should ask if radially-attached parts are allowed, but I hope they are.

kay ay ell underclocking!great!

It seems like you have just discovered that you can basically cheat using the kal controller so you're spamming as many challenges as possible with it. You seem to have missed the "challenge" part of challenges

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.