Are Rask and Rusk planets

There is something I am concerned about, I was reading about why Pulte was demoted, and it’s because it was not the dominant object in its orbit. But rask and rusk are orbiting each other, meaning neither of them is the dominant objects in their orbit, so are they really planets.

2 minutes ago, SSTO Crasher said:

meant Pluto

Oh now i understand.

Anyway to my point! 

The third criteria of the IAU planet definition is dumb because Jupiter would then technically not be a planet because of the trojans. 

Discarding it, i see no reason to not consider the two of Rask ans Rusk planets.

3 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

Oh now i understand.

Anyway to my point! 

The third criteria of the IAU planet definition is dumb because Jupiter would then technically not be a planet because of the trojans. 

Discarding it, i see no reason to not consider the two of Rask ans Rusk planets.

Actually, Jupiter would still be a planet. Jupiter is the most massive object in it’s orbit by a long shot. Pluto isn’t the most massive object in it’s orbit. Clearing its orbit means that an object makes up the vast majority of the mass inside its orbit.

There's a new definition for planet being proposed, which would essentially consider moons to also be planets of their own, ignoring the "clearing of the neighbourhood".

Also, as an important note: If a planet could only be a planet if it's cleared its neighbourhood, would this make Saturn a dwarf planet?

I'm absolutely in favor of classifying the Moon as a planet. While Earth is massive enough of the two that the Earth-Moon barycenter is entirely within Earth's surface, Earth's gravity is still weaker than the Sun's as far as effects on the Moon. That is, Moon primarily orbits the Sun, not the Earth, and merely co-orbits the Earth. Another way to look at it is that Moon's trajectory around the Sun is everywhere convex - it is always accelerating towards the Sun. This isn't true for any other moon in the Solar System. All of the other moons are pulled by their primary with enough force that sometimes they are pulled away from the Sun. That really shows that the moons are bound to their planet. Since this is not the case for the Moon, it really doesn't make sense to say that it orbits the Earth as its primary.

I would also argue that barycenter situation is temporary, as the Moon is receding, and this will eventually resolve itself. Yes, it's billions of years in the future, but I think it's a good enough example to use the tug-of-war definition instead of the barycenter one.

There might be some naming confusion. But if it gets too confusing, we can start referring to the Moon as Luna, clearly distinguishing it from various moons of the solar System. But that's optional. Proper classification is the important bit here.

13 hours ago, Omni122 said:

Actually, Jupiter would still be a planet. Jupiter is the most massive object in it’s orbit by a long shot. Pluto isn’t the most massive object in it’s orbit. Clearing its orbit means that an object makes up the vast majority of the mass inside its orbit.

And what do you define as "Pluto's orbit"?

18 hours ago, intelliCom said:

There's a new definition for planet being proposed, which would essentially consider moons to also be planets of their own, ignoring the "clearing of the neighbourhood".

Also, as an important note: If a planet could only be a planet if it's cleared its neighbourhood, would this make Saturn a dwarf planet?

I think Saturn would still be considered a planet as the rings orbit Saturn itself, and not around the sun the way the Trojans of Jupiter do.

There is a specific parameter that can be computed, the Stern-Levinson parameter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearing_the_neighbourhood

Its actually a measure of how much it gravitationally dominates the orbit/"clearing" power.

Trojans at L4 and L5 don't matter (Jupiter).

Having another body in an orbital resonance doesn't matter (Neptune, Pluto is in an orbital resonance with it).

On 1/21/2022 at 2:35 AM, K^2 said:

Another way to look at it is that Moon's trajectory around the Sun is everywhere convex - it is always accelerating towards the Sun.

Eh? Surely the Moon must move away from the Sun for half its orbit around the Earth? Anything constantly accelerating towards the Sun would eventually crash into it.

7 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

For the record I support “Pulte” as a KSP2 planet name, if the gods are listening. 

Oh yes, I support this.

4 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Eh? Surely the Moon must move away from the Sun for half its orbit around the Earth? Anything constantly accelerating towards the Sun would eventually crash into it.

He said accelerating toward, not moving toward.

An object in orbit is always accelerating toward the body it orbits.

It's better to discuss convexity/concavity.

All other moons have concavities in their orbit with respect to the sun, our moon doesn't.

However, if you put earth-moon where Pluto is, you would observe a concavity, so I am not sure this is so relevant

On 1/20/2022 at 6:28 PM, shdwlrd said:

Rask and Rusk are planets because the developers say they are planets. The actual definition and criteria for planets don't matter. 

You're a planet because I say you're a planet.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:23 PM, SSTO Crasher said:

There is something I am concerned about, I was reading about why Pulte was demoted, and it’s because it was not the dominant object in its orbit. But rask and rusk are orbiting each other, meaning neither of them is the dominant objects in their orbit, so are they really planets.

Rask and Rusk are the dominant bodies in their orbit.

4 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Always accelerating towards the sun is different from always moving towards the sun. In any Keplerian orbit, like every one in the game, you are always accelerating towards the centre of mass of the body you are orbiting.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:23 AM, SSTO Crasher said:

Pulte

Funny question about this, I know we all sign terms of service on this board and Im sure we’d all be over the moon for ideas like this to actually get incorporated in the game but do you think out of an abundance of caution intercept would deliberately not use the name ‘Pulte’ cause it didn’t come from their shop?

Edited by Pthigrivi

12 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I think this might be easier with an illustration. Plotting Moon's actual orbit around the Sun is kind pointless, because it pretty much looks like a circle. But imagine a fictional system where the moon is making only 4 revolutions in a year at a significant distance from its companion. Then the path around the primary star might look something like this.

5SvGluy.png

Note that the moon, as pictured, is always accelerating (curving) towards the center. But the distance does, in fact, vary. It does move closer to the center sometimes, and further away at other times. This is because to just stay at a constant distance, you have to be going around a circle. And as you're going around a circle, you are accelerating (curving) towards the center at a constant rate. If you accelerate towards the center even faster, you will start moving closer. If you accelerate less, but still towards the center, you'll start moving away.

The Moon is in a similar situation. Earth's gravity does nudge it a little closer or further from the Sun, but the Sun's gravity is always the dominant force. So the Moon travels around the Sun in a near-circular path, with just a little bit of a curvature modulation caused by Earth.

Yes but any moons orbit around earth at that distance would make the moon leave orbit, making your point pointless as the earth would clearly dominate the orbit of the 2

2 hours ago, K^2 said:

I think this might be easier with an illustration. Plotting Moon's actual orbit around the Sun is kind pointless, because it pretty much looks like a circle. But imagine a fictional system where the moon is making only 4 revolutions in a year at a significant distance from its companion. Then the path around the primary star might look something like this.

5SvGluy.png

Note that the moon, as pictured, is always accelerating (curving) towards the center. But the distance does, in fact, vary. It does move closer to the center sometimes, and further away at other times. This is because to just stay at a constant distance, you have to be going around a circle. And as you're going around a circle, you are accelerating (curving) towards the center at a constant rate. If you accelerate towards the center even faster, you will start moving closer. If you accelerate less, but still towards the center, you'll start moving away.

The Moon is in a similar situation. Earth's gravity does nudge it a little closer or further from the Sun, but the Sun's gravity is always the dominant force. So the Moon travels around the Sun in a near-circular path, with just a little bit of a curvature modulation caused by Earth.

11 hours ago, SSTO Crasher said:

Yes but any moons orbit around earth at that distance would make the moon leave orbit, making your point pointless as the earth would clearly dominate the orbit of the 2

Our Moon is in that situation and clearly hasn't left Earth's vicinity yet. Sun's gravity on the Moon is stronger than Earth's. Sun is the dominant body, and the Moon's trajectory is always curved towards the Sun.

If you think that this somehow contradicts Earth and Moon continuing to travel around the Sun together, evidently, you are missing something.

2 hours ago, K^2 said:

If you think that this somehow contradicts Earth and Moon continuing to travel around the Sun together, evidently, you are missing something.

Well then i am too. If Sun's gravity is stronger on the Moon than Earth's then how does that not contradict the Moon orbiting the Earth

Following this logic there would be no planets because the gravity of the sun is the dominant gravitational power in the entire system, we are talking about the dominant object in earths orbital height, and the earth clearly has the dominant power over the moon as the moon is orbiting the earth

but we have swayed off topic