What will Rask and Rusk be called when they merge

1 hour ago, AtomicTech said:

They would, eventually, via orbital decay. Just like how our moon is slowly drifting away from us.

Eventually, in the same amount of time it would take for you to watch a tree grow up and die while KSP is running at 100,000x timewarp.

That is, if the planets even had manipulable orbits anyways. They're all on rails for gameplay and performance reasons. If Jool operated under a proper physics simulation, all the moons would be flung out due to the instability caused by the other gravitational fields and their proximity.

7 hours ago, Haustvindr said:

Risk.

Because it is the middle ground between "a" and "u".

I've been calling it the "Risk System" basically since they've announced it. It just works. And after they merge, I don't see a reason why that wouldn't become the planet's name.

11 hours ago, jastrone said:

will they merge tho? seems like that probably wont be in game so it will probably not have a name. otherwise RISK

Definitely not in the game. But it's fun to speculate, and if this was a real system, they would merge eventually, so it's not a bad question to ask.

4 hours ago, K^2 said:

Definitely not in the game. But it's fun to speculate, and if this was a real system, they would merge eventually, so it's not a bad question to ask.

But would they merge?  If they are rotating faster than they are revolving (as with the Earth in the Earth-Moon system), then the advancement of the tidal bulges tends to accelerate things, having the Moon recede.  If they are revolving faster than rotating, then it would be reversed and would proceed to eventually merge.

So, how fast do they rotate?  Is it faster than they revolve?

On 1/20/2022 at 7:12 PM, Strike_2.0 said:

"Clyde", because "collide", get it, it "Clyde"ed into a "Clyde"

Now I wish they were named Bonnie and Clyde.

2 hours ago, Jacke said:

But would they merge?  If they are rotating faster than they are revolving (as with the Earth in the Earth-Moon system), then the advancement of the tidal bulges tends to accelerate things, having the Moon recede.  If they are revolving faster than rotating, then it would be reversed and would proceed to eventually merge.

They will merge, as will any pair of close-orbiting worlds with no rotation between them, because of their sun.

The only reason the Earth and Moon are receding and not converging is because the tidal effect on the Earth is causing it to slow down its rotation, and the loss of that angular momentum is going into the Moon's orbit. Action/reaction and all that.

As to why they're slowing down it's a bit math heavy and I'm not good with all that, but I'm pretty sure it's similar to how gravity slingshots work only on a much more minuscule scale. If they weren't there and you flew by their star at their orbit, you'd turn ever so slightly at the back than you would the front, so the sun's pull on the inward planet is slightly less than the pull on the outward planet and therefore things happen and they come together. Or something.

:confused:

4 hours ago, Jacke said:

But would they merge?  If they are rotating faster than they are revolving

Aren't they tidally locked to each other? Maybe I'm misremembering. My claim was made under assumption that the two are mutually tidally locked, which would guarantee that they'd merge eventually. If that's not the case, then it depends on how fast each one revolves around its own axis, yeah.

Also, there is a limit to how close the two bodies can be to each other, before rotation speed necessary to push the two apart would be too high for the planet not to be ripped apart by centrifugal forces. But I don't know how well that logic survives in the 10x scaled universe. I think, we all agree that planets, at least, aren't made out of the same stuff as planets of the Solar System are. So this might be entirely irrelevant.

On 1/20/2022 at 3:43 PM, BekfastDerp13 said:

Dwayne "the rocky planet" Johnson

Also, I don't think that they are going to merge. They orbit each other.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:50 PM, Deadmeat24 said:

I don't think they would ever merge. They are in orbit of each other.

Faulty reasoning above, for example, Phobos only has about 50 million years left.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:04 PM, K^2 said:

^this

On 1/22/2022 at 2:32 AM, Jacke said:

Given how close they seem to be (perspective can be deceptive), they would need to rotate quite fast.

I suspect that they may be mutually tidally locked (as with Duna-Ike), in which case, there should be no tendency to recede or get closer.

If only one is tidally locked(as in the Earth-moon system, but I suspect that they would get closer, not farther) Isuspect that they are doomed.

13 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

The Devs have kept saying that Rask and Rusk are trapped or locked in a "dance of death."

I need a quick vote based on this information. Is the official theme of the Rask and Rusk the Sabre Dance or the Danse Macabre?

(No, any other option is obviously wrong. I don't know why you'd even suggest that.)

Wait, why did I think this even warrants a discussion? Somehow, I forgot that Kevin MacLeod did an arrangement of Danse Macabre. Case closed. No other piece of music can be a better fit for Rask and Rusk in KSP2. I will not be taking any questions.

Edited by K^2