(Probable spoilers) The Star Wars serials thread, aka The KenoBobaMandaloriAhsokAndor thread

StrandedonEarth

I'm surprised this isn't a thread yet. Is anyone else watching The Book of Boba Fett? I'm hooked. It is proceeding quite nicely in a wise-old-badS fashion.

It gets better every episode...

Edit:  Since the Disney+ Star Wars serials seem to enjoy a lot of crossover, I've decided to open this thread to all the live action or animated SW serials.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

5 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

WHY IS THERE A RINGWORLD!?!?

IKR? My jaw hit the floor!

Practice rendering for a Ringworld movie?

But wait! No rim wall! And the ships didn’t just fall away like they should when undocking from the edge of a Ringworld Inknow it’s SW, but still, use the free momentum!

46 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

IKR? My jaw hit the floor!

Practice rendering for a Ringworld movie?

But wait! No rim wall! And the ships didn’t just fall away like they should when undocking from the edge of a Ringworld Inknow it’s SW, but still, use the free momentum!

Walls? Where we’re going, we don’t need *flips visor down* walls… Because magic air-retaining force fields are everywhere in Star Wars and can even deal with spaceships flying in or out at high speeds.

The real reason I don’t understand why it exists is the ubiquitous use of artificial gravity technology- whether that’s the hover-everything used in everything from Star Destroyers to speeder bikes to luggage carts or the fact that every large spaceship has its own internal gravity towards the “floor” of the ship, rather than something as pitiful as thrust gravity as in The Expanse, never mind spin gravity like a ringworld uses.

If you’re a galaxy-spanning civilisation with access to many billions of solar systems and their associated planetary real estate, why do you need a ringworld at all?

20 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

If you’re a galaxy-spanning civilisation with access to many billions of solar systems and their associated planetary real estate, why do you need a ringworld at all?

Maybe they want an easy economical center without having to deal with the "natives"? Or maybe they do have terraforming technology, but either not enough people want to terraform a planet, or some planets been terraformed already, but for natural reserves.

On 1/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

why do you need a ringworld at all?

If you can build a moon with a planet killing laser multiple times, then why not build a ring world? Now as to why you'd want a ring-world is a whole other story that I'm sure will be fleshed out in the future. Hell something as simple as "to evade New Republic taxes" gets past my star-wars-logic filter haha.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:07 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Oh, and Black Krrsantan is one mean looking Wookiee that would make Chewie think twice…

I'll give it to the costume team, Krrsantan works well. He's terrifying and seems way beyond "a big guy in a suit" I think the facial expressions are what do it for me.

On 1/26/2022 at 5:47 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Nice little sidetrack into a bonus episode of The Mandalorian there…

This episode was too awesome. But that kinda is a problem since its to the point where Boba Fett is the "distraction" and Mando is still the real star.

Maybe this is by design, we shall see when things get going next week.

Edited by MKI

I'm waffling on whether I like the series or not.  It's like Disney refuses to write a good anti hero. 

Mind you - I'm a "the first movie is called 'Star Wars' guy" not one of the Jonny come lately's that say 'New Hope'. 

But Boba's strength as a character was being both enigmatic and a BadS (to cop a recent term).  Perhaps they did 'enigmatic' with Mando - but Boba looks kind of hapless in anything but the flashbacks. 

The recent Mando themed episode with the DarkSaber duel was well executed - but I'm getting an 'able administrator' vibe out of Boba Fett - not a KickS crime boss capable of being a Daimyo. 

Choosing that word alone puts an onus on the Disney team to rise to the genre meaning of Daimyo.  And thus far?  Boba is not that. 

Also - the low-speed scooter chase of the EmoClan had my kids in stitches (and not in a good way).  When 11 and 14 year olds are mocking Star Wars - there is a problem. 

21 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Also - the low-speed scooter chase of the EmoClan had my kids in stitches (and not in a good way).  When 11 and 14 year olds are mocking Star Wars - there is a problem. 

The power rangers in Star Wars has been my only major complaint in the show so far. But I think this show is fine.

On 1/26/2022 at 6:47 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Nice little sidetrack into a bonus episode of The Mandalorian there…

Wait-

WHY IS THERE A RINGWORLD!?!?

Kuat is a famous planet with a ring that surrounds it in Star Wars legends. 

For me personally, I had to adjust in the first few episodes, but I am liking the thrill of the show. Lacking action from Boba though, needs to get better in the last two episodes for the season.

i binged the first 5 episodes. it was pretty good.

5 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

You just know that Disney is going to flood Tatooine and the Sand People will inherit 

we need the god emperor to take over the known universe first. 

Edited by Nuke

On 1/29/2022 at 9:09 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm getting an 'able administrator' vibe out of Boba Fett - not a KickS crime boss capable of being a Daimyo. 

I believe this is by design. Boba Fett's official introduction in the Mandalorian was incredibly awesome, so its possible, but I feel like the show is holding out for the "war" with the Pykes. Not only would an awesome battle with all the characters Boba has been interacting with be a cool way to end the series, but it would make sense from a storytelling perspective.

We don't think Boba could be a crime boss since he hasn't really done anything to show he can. So ending where he is indisputably in charge be a solid way to end the season (and possibly the series). 

I also watched some Star Wars explained about how Mando's story (which will obviously carry on) can follow the trajectory and themes of Boba's. How both Mandalorians can move on beyond what they were raised to do and move onto things they want to do. 

There was also talk about how Boba's story is essentially an "interlude", and how Episode 5 of The Book of Boba Feet is essentially an interlude within the interlude haha. 

Edited by MKI

17 minutes ago, MKI said:

Boba's story is essentially an "interlude"

The interesting thing about this point is whether it gives 'the Child' time to grow up a bit.  Are we destined to only have a 'Baby Yoda' with mysterious powers, or will he become something different?

(The 'baby eats the eggs of other sentients' scene was both awesome and queasy... but I'm constantly troubled by what is an effective toddler having these mental pressures placed upon it.  Grogu could become something truly nasty.  Or, given the timeline, die ignominiously, yet tragically.)

I've read he's supposed to be not a true child - but a Clone.  Odd choice there.  One might think that Yoda would either have to collude in this, or have been aware at some level.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I've read he's supposed to be not a true child - but a Clone.  Odd choice there.  One might think that Yoda would either have to collude in this, or have been aware at some level.

I think the idea is the Empire wants him to clone him, but I think the origins of where Grogu came from should stay as mysterious as Yoda himself. The fact we got a name for him is probably as far as things will go in terms of his background.

Grogu might not be able to "grow up fast enough" for the story. Even in the age of Rise of Skywalker (as far forward that is known cannon AFAIK) he'd still be "just a kid". He might have a better grasp of how to use the force though. So unless there is a crazy time jump, I can't see him growing up much more than when we saw him last. I do think having Grogu stay "baby-like" for as long as possible is part of The Mandalorian's main selling point. 

The more interesting part is how much Boba Fett's story will continue AFTER this show. I'm on the side that all these Star Wars shows of this era are building toward something, so I'm sure he will be back, but I'd be left to think he will be too busy to leave Tatooine after this series to partake in anything but a huge adventure later. 

45 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Rey vs EvilYoda in the next Trilogy 

NewRepublc is a disaster and EvilYoda is backed by an army of Mandolorians, Grey Jedi and criminals once it becomes apparent that Rey succumbed to the DarkSide and EvilYoda isn't actually evil, he's the Balancer 

I'd prefer for the next Trilogy to be the "Old Republic", they are already laying the groundwork with books on the topic, and there is an upcoming  show that will touch on what was the high republic (The Acolyte). Going far back in time provides plenty to play with.

However its somewhat interesting that the two directions Star Wars could go in regards to time away from the Skywalker Saga can both be anchored by Yoda-like beings. With the old Republic having Yoda still around, and anything in the future obviously having Grogu involved. Rey is the starting point for whatever happens in the future, but she can only be around for so long compared to Grogu who can live hundreds of years.

In the mean time Rey is still in the future, the High Republic long gone, and IP can collide in live action from the animated series.