(Probable spoilers) The Star Wars serials thread, aka The KenoBobaMandaloriAhsokAndor thread

StrandedonEarth

I honestly think the title referred to the episodes where Boba had flashbacks. That's his book to show how he ended up in the Mandalorian. Now that those seem to be finished, its back to more "usual scheduled programming" of this era of Star Wars. 

I also think the focus will revert back to him for the final episode, and how what he finds/figures out for himself as the new crime boss of Tatooine will imprint something on Mando. 

As a semi-spoiler/question. Do you think the last episode of The Book of Boba Fett will show the "choice" this week's episode ended on? I'm on the side of not knowing, but then I was also on the side of focusing the series 100% on the lead man and haven't gotten any of that, but a bunch of awesome stuff thats unexpected as hell haha.

1 hour ago, MKI said:

I honestly think the title referred to the episodes where Boba had flashbacks. That's his book to show how he ended up in the Mandalorian. Now that those seem to be finished, its back to more "usual scheduled programming" of this era of Star Wars. 

I also think the focus will revert back to him for the final episode, and how what he finds/figures out for himself as the new crime boss of Tatooine will imprint something on Mando. 

As a semi-spoiler/question. Do you think the last episode of The Book of Boba Fett will show the "choice" this week's episode ended on? I'm on the side of not knowing, but then I was also on the side of focusing the series 100% on the lead man and haven't gotten any of that, but a bunch of awesome stuff thats unexpected as hell haha.

A whole lot of this series has really seemed more like a 'montage' - you know, where they speed through a whole bunch of scenes to tell the backstory, just to be able to progress on to the main story.  Rather than being a stand-alone series about Boba Fett... this is 'lets establish, re-establish cannon for the masses' so that Mandolorian and our future SW efforts make sense.  The series thus, is an interlude, rather than a story in its own right.

I could be wrong; if you're right and the rest of the episodes tell a cohesive "How Boba Fett becomes the Daimyo of Tatooine"...  Maybe it will feel like its own thing.

Can we talk about low production values and 'squeeze everyone into a single shot' directorial choices, yet? 

With all the experience in HW these days re making a war movie... You would think that an epic fight scene would look epic, rather than cribbed together by a first year film student with high ambitions and limited budget. 

Actually - scratch that: the budget was entirely spent on terrific set design and CGI at the cost of good actors, bad staging and not enough cameras. 

My 14 yo left the room and my 11 yo cracked jokes about the whole thing - talk about no suspension of disbelief. 

(OTOH - my wife said that it's all nonsense anyway and they should have had Ewoks) 

8o

55 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Actually - scratch that: the budget was entirely spent on terrific set design and CGI at the cost of good actors, bad staging and not enough cameras. 

But that's worth it. Nothing  ruins good drama like wooden facial expressions. Instead, we get life-like reactions on challenges by Mandaloriae, Tuskens, and Jawas. Top acting, well worth it!

On 2/10/2022 at 9:07 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Can we talk about low production values and 'squeeze everyone into a single shot' directorial choices, yet? 

With all the experience in HW these days re making a war movie... You would think that an epic fight scene would look epic, rather than cribbed together by a first year film student with high ambitions and limited budget. 

My 14 yo left the room and my 11 yo cracked jokes about the whole thing - talk about no suspension of disbelief. 

(OTOH - my wife said that it's all nonsense anyway and they should have had Ewoks) 

8o

+1 to your wife.  My godson and I have long since concluded that there’s nothing in Star Wars canon that cannot be made drastically more lethal by putting Ewoks in charge of it.

After seeing what they did to an Imperial legion with vines, logs and pointy sticks, it would take a brave being to give them swords, let alone any kind of projectile weapon.

Starfighters and turbolasers are right out.

Edit. And now I want a Star Wars spin out series titled ‘The Book of Skulls’ in which a band of Ewoks, all dressed in bird skull hats, set out to avenge themselves on the Galaxy for the ecological collapse of Endor (and subsequent neglect by the New Republic) caused by the Death Star II explosion.

’Nub nub? You melonfarmers gonna get more nub nub than you can handle.’

Edited by KSK

2 hours ago, KSK said:

Nub nub? You melonfarmers gonna get more nub nub than you can handle.

Especially when the public finally sees the Ewoks for who they are as they eat said melon farmers.  Followed by the wookies (for being too tall), the Hutt (for being nummy-num-num) and whatever species it is that yells about it being a trap... Just because. 

3d Empire of the Wok. 

12 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Not sure where else to put this,,,,

XBmpPP7.png

Oh, did you hear that Thrawn will be in Ahsoka?

I haven't watched the Clone Wars - but my son has.  He's of the opinion that Ahsoka is pretty badA.  (We get a sense of that during the Mandalorian). 

If she's getting her own series - I hope they do it justice.  I want it to have a feel like Atomic Blonde or AVA or Hanna (movie) - shows where the kickA female protagonist is believably tough and the fight scenes have gravity. 

On 2/10/2022 at 1:07 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I blame 2 things.

1. The director Robert Rodriguez filming style is rather distinct for better or worse.

2. Limitations of The Volume

Kenobi is next, and will have a rematch with Vader (regardless of the logistics to actually pull that off) should be sick. Plus the series will be directed primarily by Deborah Chow, who directed some of the best Mandalorian episodes. I'll be looking forward to it. 

Andor will be the actual war film. Or more specifically an espionage film. Rogue One was distinctly a war film, so Andor should fill in a number of gaps out the state of the galaxy. This is the guy who straight up kills an informant to protect information when he is introduced in Rogue One, so focusing on such a character would be a big shift from 2 guys in masks, galactic-level family issues and trade disputes. 

I've heard the Bad Batch is good, but never felt like watching it. I think the cartoon aspects of it turns me off. I got nothing against it, just time is limited so I gotta pick and choose what I'll be watching haha. 

13 minutes ago, MKI said:

I've heard the Bad Batch is good, but never felt like watching it. I think the cartoon aspects of it turns me off. I got nothing against it, just time is limited so I gotta pick and choose what I'll be watching haha. 

It may appear childish but it's still very serious and very good.

27 minutes ago, MKI said:

Robert Rodriguez filming style is rather distinct

I'll have to look into that.  We got a distinctly different vibe; like the directory was trying to film a 1940s style 'circle the wagons' western.

(Watch from 52:40) (1) Hidden Gold (1940) - William Boyd, Russell Hayden, Minor Watson - Feature (Adventure, Comedy, Western) - Bing video

To the trained eye, having the entire 'good guy' crew shoulder to shoulder behind a single vehicle or holed up Alamo style in the same building, while the hapless bad guys all stand around outside, exposed?  Then the 'tank' shows up, and it's freaking useless, except for the claws which can fight the (howinthewhy) blaster proof animal Rankor?

Someone wanted to bring in disparate elements from different SW products and show they're all still in the same universe (and boy, isn't Boba cool - he loved up on the Rankor, which only needed love, and now it's his faithful steed / King Kong).

(I get it, SW is supposed to be a pulp fiction space opera... but this felt like one written by someone who studied the genre - who gets the technical aspects... but just doesn't have the feel).

32 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

It may appear childish but it's still very serious and very good.

Yeah, but it went too heavy on some stereotypes, especially the brawny dumb guy whose name I forget, so I stopped watching. But I’m enjoying Rebels now, albeit mostly as background noise 

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'll have to look into that.  We got a distinctly different vibe; like the directory was trying to film a 1940s style 'circle the wagons' western.

The overall theme of the show, and primary characters all take inspiration from various genres, including westerns. But that is less about directorial direction and more the written theme of the show. So it takes on Tatooine, during a "lawless" era of Star Wars staring a character that is somewhat of a clean slate, but looks badass. There's also the overall story that is clearly being built up by Dave and Jon Favreau that got shoved in (hello Mando) for better or worse.

Cobb Vanth and Cad Bane are both excellent example of very "western" characters thrown into the show. However, their introductions are both handled by a different "deep-cut", and Clone Wars Director Dave Filoni, as they are essentially "his characters".

However, Rodríguez carries over his style from the Mandalorian episode he directed (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Chapter_14:_The_Tragedy). With Boba and Mando basically fighting the whole episode, with what is pretty awesome but with a very distinct "student film-esque" filming style. Then again this is the guy who helped create Machete (Which is probably why Danny Trejo appeared with the Rancor haha), and is known for essentially a "one man crew" production. So it isn't surprising the same feeling carries over to the episodes Rodríguez directed.

IMO I like the idea of letting each director stamp their style onto the episodes. Unlike films which cost big $, shows like these really can be juggled by various directors with their own approaches without many problems. Not every single one needs to be a master-piece when the real long term goal is to keep people engaged and subscribed to the platform. It might be a little jarring when the quality seems to change episode to episode, but its not like most will be so horribly turned off they wont tune in next week to see what happens. 

On a side-node, I was reading a piece about how Din has become the ultimate Star Wars character, which makes someone like Boba look honestly pedestrian.

1. Din has cool armor and helmet

2. Din has a cool background, and lore

3. Din has a cool ship (or actually 2)

4. Din is a cool gunslinger

5. Din has a cool side-kick 

6. Din now has a cool freaken lightsaber (!)

7. Din has his own distinct music

Boba is cool and all, but Din is too much of a powerhouse of a character. I feel like he will 100% appear in each of the Disney+ shows of this era and play a pivotal role in each, and we are going to have to accept his appearance everywhere. 

1 hour ago, MKI said:

Boba is cool and all, but Din is too much of a powerhouse of a character. I feel like he will 100% appear in each of the Disney+ shows of this era and play a pivotal role in each, and we are going to have to accept his appearance everywhere

Agree - and don't hate that at all, for all the reasons you state. 

1 hour ago, MKI said:

Rodríguez carries over his style from the Mandalorian episode he directed

I need to go back to that and compare - thanks for the info! 

Part of the problem in my household started with the low speed scooter chasing by oddly anachronistic cyberpunk 'bodyhackr' characters. 

Spoiler

Lucas wouldn't put in anyone with glasses. 

According to Inverse, Inside the Magic and many other sources, Lucas did have aversion to glasses in the universe he created

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dorksideoftheforce.com/2021/04/09/did-george-lucas-ban-glasses-star-wars/amp/

My kids just made fun of any scene they were in. I also don't think they were necessary. 

The writing is the problem.  They go to great lengths to create a relationship between Boba and the Sand People - for a couple throw away ideas: he learned the strength of family (belonging), and we hate the Pykes because they killed his family. 

Okay - those would not be throw away had he drawn on the Desert Power to gain the Daimyo-hood: a Dune-esque and potentially unassailable power base that allows him to basically profit from both the locals and the newcomers - and secretly be helping to raise the circumstances of the SP as thanks for their help. I'd have liked the whole series better if several tribes of Sand People had appeared to help take down the Pykes.  Having a positive relationship with Mos Pelgo certainly helps, as does having a local street gang (even one as out of place as the cyberpunk kids).  But the absence of the Sand People was odd. 

2 hours ago, MKI said:

IMO I like the idea of letting each director stamp their style onto the episodes

I echo this sentiment.  They started this with Mando and it was something I really enjoyed. 

I need to go back to the overall direction / Executive Direction of the respective series.  Despite having multiple directors and different views /styles - Mandolorian just seemed to work and the story told was tighter and more cohesive. 

While Boba is an interlude, it could have been tighter.  It's got great characters, exists in an almost can't fail universe and had potential... 

I just don't think it reaches the potential and misses some fairly obvious marks