(Probable spoilers) The Star Wars serials thread, aka The KenoBobaMandaloriAhsokAndor thread

StrandedonEarth

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

An anachronistic SWORD in a galaxy filled with blasters... And yes its better - but no one but the very, very few bad assets can use one

Oh - and the longer the series goes on, the more power laser pole arms are proliferating... All in the name of toy sales. 

SMH 

Nothing is sacred 

On 5/31/2022 at 3:52 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

One of my favorite characters from the new series is played by Moses

I think Reva is one of the more interesting villains to come out of Star Wars. Think about all the "bad guys" in Star Wars and you basically get a bunch of "I'm evil" and "I'm evil wearing a mask" sorta villains with weak characterization and minimal or no backstory (with the exceptions being Kylo and Anakin) 

I think Reva's motivations are pretty clear, and rather rare to Star Wars. She has something personally again Obi-Wan Kenobi, to the point she is stabbing her boss (!), and lying directly to Vader's face (!!!) to get what she wants. I find that far more disturbing and interesting that most other villains thus far. Especially as we finally get to see Vader turn into what is essentially a horror movie villain.

Also.....PARKOUR!

Edited by MKI

On 6/2/2022 at 8:22 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Oh - and the longer the series goes on, the more power laser pole arms are proliferating... All in the name of toy sales. 

SMH 

Nothing is sacred 

people who say that star wars has sold out just aren't paying attention. its been doing that since the late '70s. early star wars toys were extremely popular even before the empire strikes back came out.  people who come into the series for the prequel trilogy came in at the tail end of the merch craze and didn't see some of the blatant cash grabs that came before. of course the prequel trilogy restoked that fire and its still burning pretty well. the merch sales feed back into the franchise and allow more stuff. star wars really wouldn't be what it is today without the merch. it would have tailed off into increasingly lower budget films, sort of what happened with the original star trek movies. but unlike those i dont think that star wars can stand on the merits of its story telling alone. it needs the visual spectacle to work. that is expensive and the merch helps fund it.

anyway i just watched the first four episodes after several weeks of listening to people complain about it on youtube. so it turned out better than i expected it to be, yet still kind of felt meh. at least they try to connect the dots with its pre-established lore a bit better than the current iterations of the trekverse does. but they both tend to have the bad habit of trying to undermine well established and popular characters in favor of new ones. if they could stop doing that, maybe i can appreciate the newer shows better. just create, and flesh out, a new character rather than try to turn an old one into something they are not. 

Edited by Nuke

Well, I have a confession to make. I was firmly of the opinion that Obi-Wan Kenobi was a series that didn’t need to be made, and was basically Disney milking the Skywalker Movies for all they were worth.

Then I watched the first three episodes back to back and I take it all back.  Well - it may still be a shameless milking exercise but it’s done well enough that I don’t care!

McGregor is doing sterling work and the actor playing his co-lead is absolutely knocking it out of the park. I agree with @MKI re Reva, and it’s looking like @JoeSchmuckatelliis getting his wish re Vader. 

Bring on Part IV when I get a spare moment.

I watched Episode 4 last week, and it was one of the episodes where I actually felt the most meh about.. that is until I realized its made that way on purpose.

The series mirrors the general plot points of episodes 1-6. 

Sure there are plenty of differences, but it's actually really obvious that the series is made up of a lot of callbacks and remixes to the rest of Star Wars, for better or worse. That said there are still key elements that make things different from what has come before which makes it worth watching. 

I'll be watching Episode 5 later today, but I've heard that it's the best Episode so far. I'll probably just update this post after I watch it.

On 6/10/2022 at 7:24 AM, KSK said:

it may still be a shameless milking exercise but it’s done well enough that I don’t care!

Star Wars almost always ends up being some form of (blue) milking exercise, thats almost the whole point of the franchise haha.

Good to hear about Episode V - I’m looking forward to it.

I liked Episode IV. Suitably dark in places, Obi-Wan finally getting his act together, and some very obvious callbacks to A New Hope! And thinking about it, you’re quite right about the previous episodes mirroring plot points from the films - almost in order in fact.

Which makes me think that my thinking about the last two episodes may not be too far wrong.

Spoiler

Kenobi will confront Vader again and try and turn him back from the Dark Side. Callback to Return of the Jedi.

”I feel the good in you, Father. The Emperor hasn’t driven it from you fully.”

”Obi-Wan once thought as you do.”

Episode 5 was easily the best episode so far. Lots of love about it, from big time stuff, to even smaller things. I won't go into detail to prevent spoilers, but it really is worth the watch. It stands alone really well, but of course leaves the door wide open for the final episode, where I have a pretty good idea of where things are headed, which should be a treat.

• 2 weeks later...

Kenobi really didn't need to be made.   Maybe it did, I dunno.  It was well made, not campy, good acting, but at the end.... I was just left empty. 

We really don't need a Vader series.   We really don't.   We know almost his entire story already.   

On 6/29/2022 at 12:55 AM, Gargamel said:

Kenobi really didn't need to be made.   Maybe it did, I dunno.  It was well made, not campy, good acting, but at the end.... I was just left empty. 

We really don't need a Vader series.   We really don't.   We know almost his entire story already.   

My biggest problem is that they're giving Luke a waaay more fraught existence than he had.  Simple farm boy is his backstory for the first three films. 

Now he's a survivor of a personal attack? 

Random Sandpeople raids?  Sure.  Brushes with Stormtroopers and arrogant Empire flunkies, of course. 

But a crazy vengeful child murdering Sith wannabe? 

Nope. 

I'm actually surprisingly OK with the Leia storyline.  Explains the feistiness we see in her from the opening scene of Star Wars 

On 7/8/2022 at 2:21 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

But a crazy vengeful child murdering Sith wannabe? 

From the neighbor farm.

On 6/29/2022 at 7:55 AM, Gargamel said:

Do we?

Luke and Leia faces look rather different.

Unrelated.

The phrase "May the Force be with you!" is singable to the melody of "Happy birthday to you".

Coincidence? Maybe.

Red

Red is the lightsaber color of the Sith, and force users who have embraced the dark side. Even is a force user previously had a different color lightsaber, they will be made red when the user accepts the dark side.

Spoiler

7e215a3a7f2f79bd5a804f9cc9d520f7.jpge94fd58a83ae25bb0a01343010445496.jpg

Blue

While blue is common, there can be some variation in the hue, from light blue to deep blue. There may also be differences in the core colors, from blue to black. Blue can symbolize calm, trust, stability, and loyalty, all traits important to the Jedi.

Spoiler

main-qimg-666a62486cbf53157e4db219ea20c4

Green

Green can represent nature, growth, and safety, which is fitting for Jedi who only draws their lightsabers as a last resort.

Spoiler

star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-4183-790rdn4nx5bxnl81.jpg?auto=webp&s=70be9c8e96

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJFzUmAxHwg9PIgOXJyRchqdefault.jpgtie-fighter-xwing.jpgmain-qimg-881a663e2ac1a986772632dabac76d

51 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Come on - you of all people know why Rebels shoot red and Evil Empire shoots green. 

(I gave up caring about sword colors when a certain actor demanded and got to use purple) 

I could agree that the shot color is an EPIC FAIL of the SFX team, mwahahah!!!111  doesn't matter, cuz fizzix.

But then why the rebel X-Wing decals are red?

Spoiler

7e215a3a7f2f79bd5a804f9cc9d520f7.jpg

They are definitely chosen by will.

Ok, "Red Wing", "Golden Wing". But why not "Blue Wing" and "Green Wing"?

Spoiler

Golden Wing fights for gold, Red Wing for blood, mwahahah again.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Andor. 

As someone who's been fairly critical of the Disney serieses... 

I don't hate it. 

Seriously - while only 2 1/2 episodes in, it has all the flavor of the SW universe, but isn't trying to be cute about it.  And for a TV-14 show... Its got grit. 

Hoping they keep this up through the entire series... 

On 10/12/2022 at 4:54 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Andor. 

As someone who's been fairly critical of the Disney serieses... 

I don't hate it. 

Seriously - while only 2 1/2 episodes in, it has all the flavor of the SW universe, but isn't trying to be cute about it.  And for a TV-14 show... Its got grit. 

Hoping they keep this up through the entire series... 

And it gets better!

On 10/14/2022 at 12:32 PM, Nuke said:

i like what they are doing with andor, but it seems to lack the action sequences of typical of star wars. 

The ones they do have seem actually pretty well made.  My kids both said that THIS time it looks like they had an actual military adviser on site.