[1.12.x] Starship Expansion Project - SEP | v2.1.0 (March, 28th, 2024)

Kari

8 hours ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Any chance of adding in the NASA SpaceX lunar lander version with the door and elevator as well a small cargo space?

The HLS is planned, and i have heard Kari talk about an elevator for a while, so this might actually happen.

2 hours ago, ninthninja05 said:

What is the "redacted" in the roadmap?

Its redacted, what can i say

8 hours ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Any chance of adding in the NASA SpaceX lunar lander version with the door and elevator as well a small cargo space?

3 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

I feel like that's pretty ambitious, but I would welcome it.

That is, to my knowledge, something planned for the v3 of this mod. You can see it in the Roadmap 

This is a great mod and the models are so detailed! Just a few things: I installed this without realizing that you needed TU to make the starship shiny. https://imgur.com/a/PVD1X9f Note the engine plumes on the booster.

Then, I went back and installed TU, and now the engine plumes are gone. https://imgur.com/a/F5SsyKs  Also, what is this? https://imgur.com/a/RyIcXlv Note the oxidizer levels...

Also, I feel like I should mention that the singular raptors (SL and Vac) have had plumes the whole time, it's just the boosters (29 and 33 engines) that are affected.

I absolutely do not know what I'm doing with this thing :) but it sure is pretty!

Has anyone managed reentry? I've tried 40 degrees and 10 degrees nose up, with and without flaps activated, and every time the nose rises and rises until it flips over and comes in HOT, engines first. I don't really know enough about Starship to be trying this, but it seemed fun! 

Screenshot tax (ksrss at 2.5x)

Spoiler

mnoeyDx.png

20 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I absolutely do not know what I'm doing with this thing :) but it sure is pretty!

Has anyone managed reentry? I've tried 40 degrees and 10 degrees nose up, with and without flaps activated, and every time the nose rises and rises until it flips over and comes in HOT, engines first. I don't really know enough about Starship to be trying this, but it seemed fun! 

Screenshot tax (ksrss at 2.5x)

Reveal hidden contents

mnoeyDx.png

Remember that the "header tank" part must be full for the flip and landing burn  and the main body needs to be almost empty, all flaps deployed at the default angle and about ~65º AOA

Edited by Kari
typo

2 hours ago, JosiahKerman said:

This is a great mod and the models are so detailed! Just a few things: I installed this without realizing that you needed TU to make the starship shiny. https://imgur.com/a/PVD1X9f Note the engine plumes on the booster.

Then, I went back and installed TU, and now the engine plumes are gone. https://imgur.com/a/F5SsyKs  Also, what is this? https://imgur.com/a/RyIcXlv Note the oxidizer levels...

Also, I feel like I should mention that the singular raptors (SL and Vac) have had plumes the whole time, it's just the boosters (29 and 33 engines) that are affected.

The starship “Folding over” is easily fixed by using autostruts and rigid attachment. The plume issues is a bit more difficult on the other hand. Could you join the discord server? Its a lot easier to provide support there!

5 hours ago, Kari said:

Remember that the "header tank" part must be full for the flip and landing burn  and the main body needs to be almost empty, all flaps deployed at the default angle and about ~65º AOA

Thank you - this actually helped a lot! I was right, I didn't know what I was doing :)

With the above guidelines I was able to survive reentry, not flip retrograde, coast to within about 15km of the space center, and land with almost no fuel left. I'm only using MechJeb right now, so with a little more tech I hope to be able to get it onto a landing pad. Thanks for the help and for sharing your hard work with us!

After my testing yesterday I noticed I had 1.8GB log file :) I think it must be the venting engines?

edit: now that I think about it, there are no RCS or venting plumes that I noticed

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

34 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

After my testing yesterday I noticed I had 1.8GB log file :) I think it must be the venting engines?

edit: now that I think about it, there are no RCS or venting plumes that I noticed

After a quick search I see your waterfall is loading 7 shaders instead of the 11 mine loads. My guess is outdated waterfall, try updating it

2 hours ago, Kari said:

After a quick search I see your waterfall is loading 7 shaders instead of the 11 mine loads. My guess is outdated waterfall, try updating it

I swear it's like I'm still a noob, and tomorrow is my 6th cake day of KSP usage! Sheesh.  I apologize for wasting your time, that's such a rookie mistake that I should have caught. Waterfall updated 8 days ago and I've been asleep, apparently. All good now, thank you again.

11 hours ago, EndAllFilms said:

Will there be blueprint for How to build a Starship including the launchpads or stuff like that?

There won’t be any craft files included,  There is only 16 parts and they are all in a nice subcategory. Constructing the ship and booster should be quite easy

13 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Anyone else having issues with the attachment nodes on the crew and cargo pods. All of the nodes are clumped together in the center of the part.

We’ve seen people in the discord server report issues with attach nodes not being where they are supposed to, sadly we are unable to reproduce these issues and thus cannot fix them at this point.

2 hours ago, SofieBrink said:

Constructing the ship and booster should be quite easy

After messing with this for several hours, I would agree it's pretty straightforward to build. However ... :)

What's not as simple is managing the ship during a mission. There are a lot of "things" that need to happen during a flight, especially if you're using Methalox and boiloff and you'd like to land it, especially somewhere specific. So there's definitely procedures and action groups that help manage the flight - those are the tidbits I'm still discovering/developing. I'd be super interested in what other people are doing aside from just the basic build. At this point I'm still throwing away the booster and just trying to learn the ship.

2 hours ago, SofieBrink said:

We’ve seen people in the discord server report...

Is this public?

32 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

After messing with this for several hours, I would agree it's pretty straightforward to build. However ... :)

What's not as simple is managing the ship during a mission. There are a lot of "things" that need to happen during a flight, especially if you're using Methalox and boiloff and you'd like to land it, especially somewhere specific. So there's definitely procedures and action groups that help manage the flight - those are the tidbits I'm still discovering/developing. I'd be super interested in what other people are doing aside from just the basic build. At this point I'm still throwing away the booster and just trying to learn the ship.

Is this public?

FYI the ship has built in vents to dump the main tanks on belly flop. The Discord is public, it's linked on the post

21 minutes ago, Fossilized said:

FYI the ship has built in vents to dump the main tanks on belly flop.

For purely orbital testing, I've underfueled the Starship quite a bit, and I also vent out the main tank almost completely after the deorbit burn. Didn't make sense to me to carry extra fuel through reentry? The timing of steps like that are definitely things I'm still working on. All pointers appreciated!

First off, this looks AMAZING!!  I love the detail (Especially the heat shield) and I think that this is really amazing.      

I did prefer the cargo variant on Tundra Exploration, so maybe there can be another version with that type of opening?

Anyway, I was looking to add a starship to my RO save, so this prompts me to ask the following question:

Is there a way that this could be compatible with RO?    Can you easily change the diameter of the models?  Maybe just write an extra config to decrease dry mass or something until it has appropriate delta-v?    If not then I can try to do it myself.                    

41 minutes ago, Tundra said:

First off, this looks AMAZING!!  I love the detail (Especially the heat shield) and I think that this is really amazing.      

I did prefer the cargo variant on Tundra Exploration, so maybe there can be another version with that type of opening?

Anyway, I was looking to add a starship to my RO save, so this prompts me to ask the following question:

Is there a way that this could be compatible with RO?    Can you easily change the diameter of the models?  Maybe just write an extra config to decrease dry mass or something until it has appropriate delta-v?    If not then I can try to do it myself.                    

first of all, thanks!

I tried a few different designs for the doors but the better looking one was the one I released, so probably I won't do another one.

inside the extras folder there's a "RO-RP1" folder, just grab it and put into your game data

Edited by Kari

17 minutes ago, Tundra said:

I just realized that it might be possible to take the RO config for the Tundra Exploration mod and just wanted to add that here.