[1.12.x] Starship Expansion Project - SEP | v2.0.3.1 (November, 20th, 2023)

Kari

19 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

After messing with this for several hours, I would agree it's pretty straightforward to build. However ... :)

What's not as simple is managing the ship during a mission. There are a lot of "things" that need to happen during a flight, especially if you're using Methalox and boiloff and you'd like to land it, especially somewhere specific. So there's definitely procedures and action groups that help manage the flight - those are the tidbits I'm still discovering/developing. I'd be super interested in what other people are doing aside from just the basic build. At this point I'm still throwing away the booster and just trying to learn the ship.

Is this public?

I'll play devils advocate here and say that configuring all the action groups etc are part of the fun. Also not everyone sets up their action groups the same way. So providing craft files with preset actions might not actually be helpful to most people. 

And yes the discord is public,
There is a hyperlink to it in the main post but here's an invite link for now: 
https://discord.gg/CQzk9H84pr

9 hours ago, Tundra said:

I just realized that it might be possible to take the RO config for the Tundra Exploration mod and just wanted to add that here.

There are RO configs specifically for SEP in the extra's folder, No need to use the very outdated Tundra configs

Edited by SofieBrink

5 hours ago, SofieBrink said:

So providing craft files with preset actions might not actually be helpful to most people. 

I agree, basic craft files are better than bespoke ones, you'll never get a sample craft to work the same for everyone - loading sample craft at all is notoriously iffy in KSP. But, things like "the header tanks should be full for landing" were a revelation to me - somehow I thought it was supposed to be moved into the main tank for usage, womp. Anyway, process notes like that are super helpful, but also don't always have to come from the authors.

3 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I agree, basic craft files are better than bespoke ones, you'll never get a sample craft to work the same for everyone - loading sample craft at all is notoriously iffy in KSP. But, things like "the header tanks should be full for landing" were a revelation to me - somehow I thought it was supposed to be moved into the main tank for usage, womp. Anyway, process notes like that are super helpful, but also don't always have to come from the authors.

Yeah this is a fair point, It’s a double edged blade though. Currently people seek help here or in the Discord to ask basic questions about their own crafts, if we were to include craft files without any action groups etcetera people might seek help because “The flaps do not work, even with the included craft”.  Anyhow maybe a tutorial on how to build and use the ship like Tundra had for Gojira could be in order.

Edited by SofieBrink

33 minutes ago, SofieBrink said:

It’s a double edged blade though.

You're absolutely right. Basically no matter what you do or do not provide, people will ask for more :P  And let's not forget that Starship is a bit of a moving target  (coughgridfinscough) so probably the less you have written in stone, the better. 

I tried to install the configs, but I think I am missing something.    Could some one walk me through what to do after I have installed the main body of the mod into the Gamedata folder?    

Nice, I got it working.    What does the engine on the crew part do.  (Besides blow you up instantly)

I know it says no IVA in the OP...  but I noticed that the kerbals don't even fit in the stock one.      It is kinda creepy to see the bottom of their face only and have to witness their transparent laughs.

Edited by Tundra

12 hours ago, Tundra said:

Nice, I got it working.    What does the engine on the crew part do.  (Besides blow you up instantly)

I know it says no IVA in the OP...  but I noticed that the kerbals don't even fit in the stock one.      It is kinda creepy to see the bottom of their face only and have to witness their transparent laughs.

The “engine” is a vent, and yeah its a known bug that it blows you up in RO, not sure why. Its on the tank and the other 2 nosecone variants too.

huh that might be something with RO again then, for me the iva is just the MK3 crew cabin and the kerbals fit in it fine

Hello Everyone

Today we bring you a small update, mainly to fix some bugs that the majority of the players never noticed, but that were still there

Remember to delete the old folder and install it again if you're doing it manually

As always the mod is found at Spacedock, CKAN and Github

Happy belly flops

10 hours ago, VASMIR said:

Great mod!  Any tips on Superheavy/Starship ascent?  Even with some strakes added to the bottom of the booster, the stack flips over when transonic and at 5 kilometers.  

Try to stick close to or on the prograde marker. If it is still flipping when you do that it might be a bug. If so I recommend you to join the dev discord. Its easier to help you there!

16 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

Can the Passenger Starship not hold science nor do crew reports?

Can it not? I will check this

Edit: just checked, it did not have either of these. Both have been added and will be in the next patch! Thanks for letting us know!

Edited by SofieBrink

2 hours ago, ameerkat said:

Hi I was wondering if you plan to add configs for kerbalism? Currently if you use the mod, all the engines only have two ignitions max for example

Yes, we’re planning to add kerbalism configs in a future update.

This mod is perfect, but the aerodynamics while bellyflopping reverse while going straight down at lower altitudes. It's fine during re-entry. Has anyone else experienced this? For example, ill lean the ship forward, and my trajectory will go backwards, and leaning left will make you go right. It's not all the time, but it's when you're going slower and generally straight down. I think this is what is also why the flip maneuver is sloppier than other mods while landing. I can send a lil vid if no one has encountered it because I don't see any comments about it.

21 hours ago, kevinhagandude said:

This mod is perfect, but the aerodynamics while bellyflopping reverse while going straight down at lower altitudes. It's fine during re-entry. Has anyone else experienced this? For example, ill lean the ship forward, and my trajectory will go backwards, and leaning left will make you go right. It's not all the time, but it's when you're going slower and generally straight down. I think this is what is also why the flip maneuver is sloppier than other mods while landing. I can send a lil vid if no one has encountered it because I don't see any comments about it.

Its fine for me. Make sure you vent most or all of the fuel in the main tanks and keep fuel in the Header Tank on the nose, this is very important.

Firstly, amazing mod. Such incredible detail! 

Could i add a request? A crew hatch on crew starship to allow eva's? I noticed the other day i couldn't eva any of my kerbals after landing on the mun and duna.

i cannot state how awesome your model is, how detailed everything is! the last ring segments inner greebling, heatshield tiles, making the cargo bay more useful... i'm sure you've made many, many happy nerds!

Edited by Dub-Sidious