[1.12.x] Starship Expansion Project - SEP | v2.1.0 (March, 28th, 2024)

Kari

On 11/7/2022 at 10:21 PM, EndAllFilms said:

Will there be a tutorial how to use the Starship by using kOS? and plus is the kOS starship mod gonna be on CKAN?

The most important Information for usage can be found on the Github page (click the signature below this post, or https://github.com/Janus1992/KSP_Starship-kOS-Interface). I think most peoples issues will stem from using mods that I list as incompatible, and not using the provided .craft files (if you have stock ships enabled in your savegame, that's where they should show up). Or is there anything missing that you think I should add, or want me to add?

I will consider CKAN for the future, but first I want to know a bit more about CKAN and see how it works, as I have no experience with it. Then I need to find the time and a lack of things to fix/change in the Interface :)

Edited by Janus92

By now I'm becoming the spam of this forum post :D

Here's another something I have been working on: Launching to a chosen inclination! This was one of the main requirements before I could even think of starting to work on adding RSS/RO compatibility.

Mandatory gifs:

19RMnfc.gif

Time to change those heat-tiles :o:

PhjK39x.gif

EDIT:

Here another Booster catch from a 15 degree inclination. I love the rotation just before the catch:

AJaEl6i.gif

Edited by Janus92

4 hours ago, Janus92 said:

Here's another something I have been working on: Launching to a chosen inclination! This was one of the main requirements before I could even think of starting to work on adding RSS/RO compatibility.

Mandatory gifs:

19RMnfc.gif

PhjK39x.gif

EDIT:

Here another Booster catch from a 15 degree inclination. I love the rotation just before the catch:

AJaEl6i.gif

Perfect Opportunity to fly a Starship with my eyes closed

6 hours ago, Janus92 said:

Mandatory gifs:

19RMnfc.gif

PhjK39x.gif

EDIT:

AJaEl6i.gif

Sadly there is a bug where the booster didn't perform the landing burn and crashed right next to the launch tower

12 hours ago, EndAllFilms said:

Sadly there is a bug where the booster didn't perform the landing burn and crashed right next to the launch tower

Is it reproducible, or a one time event? If so, could you check to see that the booster has enough fuel, and if the boosters kOS module has crashed (open the cpu in the kOS window on the righthand side)? Also after checking those, did the throttle go up, or stay at 0?

8 hours ago, Janus92 said:

Is it reproducible, or a one time event? If so, could you check to see that the booster has enough fuel, and if the boosters kOS module has crashed (open the cpu in the kOS window on the righthand side)? Also after checking those, did the throttle go up, or stay at 0?

It stayed at 0 it didn't even throttle up and plus It has enough fuel

34 minutes ago, EndAllFilms said:

It stayed at 0 it didn't even throttle up and plus It has enough fuel

Then I think the script must have encountered some kind of error. Latest at 2000m it should set the throttle. Did you hear this kind of crashing sound?

Please provide a screenshot of the booster cpu (as described above) during final descent so I can check what's bothering the script. If it runs okay it should say so in its terminal.

I've got some changes again, and I think I'll take a little break from all the work (fun):

In the latest update I added support for all the main launch sites on Kerbin. Some work was needed to allow launches and landings on Woomerang and the Dessert Launch Site, and adding new launch sites are more simple now as well (although the coordinates have to be hard coded, in case of communication loss).

I had to make many fixes to allow steady landings on the launch sites as well, and I corrected the landing offsets for the Ship, as I found that they were just wrong, and caused over/undershoots of the landing zone/mechazilla which the ship had trouble correcting. Expect smoother landings/catches.

The Interface also warns you now if the inclination you launch to is impossible BEFORE launching, haha.

I was able to get 'Configurable Containers' and 'AnimatedAttachment' out of the "NO GO" mod list. For CC I just excluded them from my patch, as they mess with the fuel. And for AnimatedAttachment, after I found a workaround to find the right parts, it still disconnects the auto-struts causing the booster and ship to fall over before launch. This I fixed by modifying the .craft files to allow the mechazilla and the front flaps to enable 'same vessel interaction', thereby holding the full stack upright..

So for now the only mods that I know it doesn't work with are RSS/RO. I'd like to know if there are other mods that break stuff, as I don't feel like manually downloading each one.

Let me know if you have any problems (but do provide details)!

I've been playing around with making an IVA, which is gonna take a while before it will be ready. It still has a big bug that happens during launch after switching back from the booster, the IVA view gets stuck until you reload the scene. So that's gotta be fixed, with a lot more..

A Work In Progress without any tables on the inside (also no screenshots with metal; TU not installed atm):

tawuf5P.jpg

It has six simple sleeping cabins (needs posters and a little table):

tb2jAYy.jpg

I have already managed to make some window views:

8H1tNOg.jpg

Time for Launch, and a cool selfie of Jeb with Bill and Val (if only I could figure out IVA lighting):

Auyud0m.jpg

So dark, but stars:

RUAA0hq.jpg

Finally, orbit:

hQBZaav.jpg

So yeah, this is gonna take a little while longer..

29 minutes ago, Janus92 said:

I've been playing around with making an IVA, which is gonna take a while before it will be ready. It still has a big bug that happens during launch after switching back from the booster, the IVA view gets stuck until you reload the scene. So that's gotta be fixed, with a lot more..

A Work In Progress without any tables on the inside (also no screenshots with metal; TU not installed atm):

tawuf5P.jpg

tb2jAYy.jpg

8H1tNOg.jpg

Time for Launch, and a cool selfie of Jeb with Bill and Val (if only I could figure out IVA lighting):

Auyud0m.jpg

So dark, but stars:

RUAA0hq.jpg

Finally, orbit:

hQBZaav.jpg

This is a fantastic Turkey Day gift.

7 hours ago, Janus92 said:

tawuf5P.jpg

tb2jAYy.jpg

8H1tNOg.jpg

Auyud0m.jpg

So dark, but stars:

RUAA0hq.jpg

Finally, orbit:

hQBZaav.jpg

That is so sick I can't wait to see it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, llikooid said:

any craft files?

Nope, you just have to assemble it yourself. Its just 12 parts. But to make it easier for you there is a special category for all the parts. Alternatively you can search Starship in the search bar and all the parts will also show up. 
Also, a tip: for some parts like the flaps, engines and gridfins you might want to hold alt to make attachment easier.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Hey @Janus92, Thanks again for building this interface which kept me busy/playing for the last few months. I trying to land my starship on a pad and I was wondering if it's possible to add a precise landing site (Duna) without the script choosing a flatter spot a bit away or by adding a landing site the preset list ?  

PS Can't wait for the IVA's to be ready !!! and to see the revamp of the starship 

On 1/23/2023 at 9:56 PM, kharly said:

Hey @Janus92, Thanks again for building this interface which kept me busy/playing for the last few months. I trying to land my starship on a pad and I was wondering if it's possible to add a precise landing site (Duna) without the script choosing a flatter spot a bit away or by adding a landing site the preset list ?  

PS Can't wait for the IVA's to be ready !!! and to see the revamp of the starship 

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I actually try very hard to prevent that situation, as without a pad the ship would just fall over. You could try a manual de-orbit burn and only then press "Land". I'm not sure how the last version deals exactly with that situation, but I'm thinking maybe that avoids the checking of the landing site's elevation. Otherwise you'd need to move your pad to a flatter location. It's a feature I'd very much like to be an option, as a new user might turn it off unknowingly and then fall over after landing.

Any bugs you experienced? In a future big update I'll have some improvements ready.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, sjsharks39 said:

x9qKEVq.png

Sadly this seems to happen on every launch @Janus92, any ideas? I have mechjeb, thought it was FAR so removed that, any ideas on what could be doing that? I never see a UI

edit - it was kOS, had to roll it back to 1.3.1.0

Hah good catch, Janus is doing “Set throttle to 0.” When he should be doing “lock throttle to 0” on this line. Never set throttle in kOS

Yeah, I found this out last week with the new 1.4.0 kOS update. So I finally had to find out why "lock throttle to 0" didn't work reliably in the past while "set throttle to 0" somehow always did. Interference from the booster script and other programming errors on my side is what did it. It will be fixed in the next big update that I'm planning, and that may still take a while..

In the meanwhile might I suggest deleting the latest 1.4.0 kOS and installing version 1.3.2 again, so it'll work at least until the big update of my Interface will be out. It's not the most elegant way, but since my work has really started to pick up again after the winter I'm not really finding enough time.

Hello, I am back and so is SEP

it's been over a year since we had an update, but this will change this week. The new version is already public on Github, mostly finished. if no major issues are found, I'll release it officially and update you.

What to expect from this update:

• Every part was overhauled, the majority of the mesh was built from scratch to allow better and beatiful new parts. OLD CRAFTS WILL BREAK
  • Janus is officially a member of the team and his IVA is now part of the mod by default
  • More custom modules, specially related to the booster cluster
  • Custom waterfall plumes
  • More part variants and new features

What is SEP's future regarding KSP 2?

As we all know, KSP 2 Early Access is out, but that does not mean KSP 1 is dead.

We will continue to update SEP for KSP 1.

KSP 2 is far away from a finished game. lacking key features, poor performance on most pc specs, a lot of bugs  and no official mod support for now means I won't touch modding there for a while. I do have the game and will continue to play it, but that's it.

So what should we expect from SEP then?

For now, prototypes are the next focus. Fuel depot and expendable ship are also planned. Any new updates from SpaceX or NASA will be taken into consideration, so we might change focus if there's something different.
HLS not planned at this moment (but someone else is doing it in case you are interested)

I hope we can bring a lot more updates to SEP this year than we brought in 2022. 2023 will be a far more interesting year for SEP and for Starship as well (looking at you, OFT).

As always, hop into our discord for more details. 

Fly safe

image.png

Edited by Kari