[1.12.x] Starship Expansion Project - SEP | v2.1.0 (March, 28th, 2024)

Kari

On 8/11/2022 at 4:56 PM, Janus92 said:

@adriangm44 Could you try my latest version? I took away some (probably unnecessary) exclusions from the patches, and maybe this will help your problem and for those with many mods?

I did include the few mods that I know won't work in the excluding part of the patches, so if someone tries to run the interface with these mods installed, then no kOS modules will be added (and other changes activated) and the Interface won't show up.

I'm sorry for the late reply. I won't be able to play KSP until I get my aircraft coordinator exams done this week. Been really busy with that. I'll keep you posted. 
Meanwhile, a question:

Do I have to replace the craft files each update?

On 8/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, adriangm44 said:

I'm sorry for the late reply. I won't be able to play KSP until I get my aircraft coordinator exams done this week. Been really busy with that. I'll keep you posted. 
Meanwhile, a question:

Do I have to replace the craft files each update?

They haven't changed since the last version, so no, you could try skipping those. Good luck on that exam! (btw, what does an aircraft coordinator do exactly? You sparked my interest)

On 8/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, ayrtonkee said:

@Janus92 I installed your script today, but when I click 'Launch' I get this error in the kOS CPU:

https://imgur.com/a/82JJWug

https://imgur.com/a/yVMnXY8

I've removed a lot of mods which were possibly preventing the sciript from working, but nothing worked :( 

Ah, I'll add this to the list of things to investigate when I have some more time. I know sometimes errors pop up when you load a craft that's already standing on the launchpad (KSP decides to suddenly rename a craft or part). You could try recovering it and loading it from the VAB instead.

But this looks more like the Orbital Launch Mount got renamed. It can't find any parts with the name that it should be able to find. Could you maybe show a screenshot of the output of the following command in the terminal (and draw the terminal big enough to show the complete output):  print ship:parts.   (note the dot at the end of the command)

On 8/17/2022 at 10:57 AM, Janus92 said:

Good luck on that exam! (btw, what does an aircraft coordinator do exactly? You sparked my interest)

Thank you! I got a 92%!! :D
The actual job would be "Airport Operations Coordinator", and it's about overseeing the ground handling services of a plane on the ground (such as disembarking/boarding of passengers, unloading/loading of cargo/baggage, fueling and maintenance needed for the aircraft...). It's fun hahahaha.

On 8/11/2022 at 4:56 PM, Janus92 said:

@adriangm44 Could you try my latest version? I took away some (probably unnecessary) exclusions from the patches, and maybe this will help your problem and for those with many mods?

I did include the few mods that I know won't work in the excluding part of the patches, so if someone tries to run the interface with these mods installed, then no kOS modules will be added (and other changes activated) and the Interface won't show up.

I tried the new version and I wish I could say it works, but I can't test it because the fuel bug is back. There is no extra fuel B9Switch, but in the tanks menu appears to have more fuel than the ammount you set. When I launch the vessel, the tower automatically starts refueling the remaining empty tanks.

Edited by adriangm44

42 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

Thank you! I got a 92%!! :D
The actual job would be "Airport Operations Coordinator", and it's about overseeing the ground handling services of a plane on the ground (such as disembarking/boarding of passengers, unloading/loading of cargo/baggage, fueling and maintenance needed for the aircraft...). It's fun hahahaha.

I tried the new version and I wish I could say it works, but I can't test it because the fuel bug is back. There is no extra fuel B9Switch, but in the tanks menu appears to have more fuel than the ammount you set. When I launch the vessel, the tower automatically starts refueling the remaining empty tanks.

Congrats! I know that job as being called a 'Ramp Agent'. Depending on the airport it can be quite a hard job!

I'll PM you for troubleshooting, as this sounds like a mod interfering yet again..:confused:

On 8/14/2022 at 12:32 PM, Fabled_Mike said:

Is there a way to get the old cargo bay that looks like an alligator mouth?

Currently there is only one way and that would be by downloading an old version of the mod.

There is talk of it possibly making a return in the next version but there’s no word on when that’ll release

• 2 weeks later...

I uploaded a new version of the Interface fixing a number of bugs that got introduced in the last big update and some that I found using different combinations of mods thanks to users in this forum reporting them to me.

A small list of fixes from the last few weeks:

- Fix for auto-update loop on startup.

- Added these mods as incompatible mods that I can't figure out a patch for: ConfigurableContainers and AnimatedAttachment.

- Changed the Boosters final approach mechanism. Fixes the overshooting/undershooting due to users having a different Booster trajectory than I have (still to be investigated).

And this got fixed as of today:

- Fixed an issue where the correct Angle-of-Attack would not be correctly set when transferring from Duna to Kerbin, causing a failure of the auto de-orbit function.
- Introduced a new function that automatically dumps excess fuel during the re-entry after a manual de-orbit, to avoid returning manually, activating the re-entry procedure only and failing the landing due to too high Mass (and fuel).
- Fixed an issue with the Crew Ship. Due to the increased mass of the crew module, the flaps didn't have their proper neutral angle. Reduced Crew Module Mass slightly: 15t (instead of 18, to allow for future cargo capability) now vs. SEP default 10t.
- Fixed the acceleration (g-force) measuring that I broke some time ago.
- Fixed an issue where the Center of Gravity was affected when Community Resource Pack was installed, resulting in failed ship re-entries (due to this imbalance the control authority of the ship was way smaller than it should have been). This issue had gotten introduced with the new tank setup (1:3.6 methane-to-oxidizer/liquid fuel-to-oxidizer) some time ago.

Hopefully these fixes help everyone to get the most reliable booster and ship landings possible! Once again, I appreciate all the feedback either in this forum post or by PM, so don't hesitate to write!

A note: If the Interface doesn't show up after loading a vehicle from the VAB, then you probably have a mod installed that (now) inhibits the startup of the Interface. Check the list of not-allowed mods on my github (click my signature image below the post).

keep telling me i don't have the right version of ksp when i try to open one of the starships of your mod ... i have tried all versions of the game since 1.10.1. can anyone tell me how I can solve it??

Edited by James Kerman
Fixed formatting

On 9/7/2022 at 9:03 AM, Janus92 said:

I uploaded a new version of the Interface fixing a number of bugs that got introduced in the last big update and some that I found using different combinations of mods thanks to users in this forum reporting them to me.

A small list of fixes from the last few weeks:

- Fix for auto-update loop on startup.

- Added these mods as incompatible mods that I can't figure out a patch for: ConfigurableContainers and AnimatedAttachment.

- Changed the Boosters final approach mechanism. Fixes the overshooting/undershooting due to users having a different Booster trajectory than I have (still to be investigated).

And this got fixed as of today:

- Fixed an issue where the correct Angle-of-Attack would not be correctly set when transferring from Duna to Kerbin, causing a failure of the auto de-orbit function.
- Introduced a new function that automatically dumps excess fuel during the re-entry after a manual de-orbit, to avoid returning manually, activating the re-entry procedure only and failing the landing due to too high Mass (and fuel).
- Fixed an issue with the Crew Ship. Due to the increased mass of the crew module, the flaps didn't have their proper neutral angle. Reduced Crew Module Mass slightly: 15t (instead of 18, to allow for future cargo capability) now vs. SEP default 10t.
- Fixed the acceleration (g-force) measuring that I broke some time ago.
- Fixed an issue where the Center of Gravity was affected when Community Resource Pack was installed, resulting in failed ship re-entries (due to this imbalance the control authority of the ship was way smaller than it should have been). This issue had gotten introduced with the new tank setup (1:3.6 methane-to-oxidizer/liquid fuel-to-oxidizer) some time ago.

Hopefully these fixes help everyone to get the most reliable booster and ship landings possible! Once again, I appreciate all the feedback either in this forum post or by PM, so don't hesitate to write!

A note: If the Interface doesn't show up after loading a vehicle from the VAB, then you probably have a mod installed that (now) inhibits the startup of the Interface. Check the list of not-allowed mods on my github (click my signature image below the post).

Will it work on my Starship config version?

22 hours ago, BoZZy_92 said:

keep telling me i don't have the right version of ksp when i try to open one of the starships of your mod ... i have tried all versions of the game since 1.10.1. can anyone tell me how I can solve it??

Could you please share a sceenshot of the issue, it’ll help is identify the problem.

11 hours ago, Fabled_Mike said:

For some reason when I use methane engine produce less thrust. It says they are producing the normal amount but it doesn't get off the ground

Oh that’s weird, does everything look to be the right size? If so could you upload the KSP.log file that’s in your ksp folder?

9 hours ago, kevinhagandude said:

Can you dock superheavy to the OLM from starship launch expansion? the OLM has an option to make it a docking port.

Not yet no, this is coming at some point when the current revamp is finished. But we’re all busy people so i can’t tell you when this will be.

On 9/11/2022 at 9:06 AM, SofieBrink said:

Oh that’s weird, does everything look to be the right size? If so could you upload the KSP.log file that’s in your ksp folder?

I won't be able to use my pc for a while so I can't share the ksp.log file but I tried it on a completely new install and it still didn't work.

14 hours ago, Fabled_Mike said:

I won't be able to use my pc for a while so I can't share the ksp.log file but I tried it on a completely new install and it still didn't work.

Alright well, without a screenshot or a log there’s very little we can do for you, if when you retuen to your computer the issue persists please do post these thing and we can help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been working on some updates in the meanwhile!

Mostly I'm cleaning up, or improving existing code (behaviour while docked, duna landings, overall reliability, etc), but I'm excited for this new feature: Automatic de-orbit & landings on moons.

I've so far only tested it on Mun and Ike, but soon I'll also test it for Minmus and Gilly. You can choose to either de-orbit automatically at any given location (reachable within your inclination or slightly beyond) or just land straight from a self selected suborbital track (if you panic).

sxlDO0C.gif

I'm still fishing out many bugs, so behaviour may change.

Getting back to Kerbin (after a manual launch) was easy using the circularize-at-apoapsis maneuver I built in, and thereafter making a maneuver node, which I can also execute automatically (Execute custom burn option). Thereafter get close to kerbin and activate the re-entry program, of which you see the last few minutes here, followed by a nice night-landing:

jyLYJ27.gif

I've been having great fun! Although I'm still sometimes getting some unexpected crashes I can mostly deal with them. (phew) :cool:

Edited by Janus92

2 hours ago, Janus92 said:

I've been working on some updates in the meanwhile!

Mostly I'm cleaning up, or improving existing code (behaviour while docked, duna landings, overall reliability, etc), but I'm excited for this new feature: Automatic de-orbit & landings on moons.

I've so far only tested it on Mun and Ike, but soon I'll also test it for Minmus and Gilly. You can choose to either de-orbit automatically at any given location (reachable within your inclination or slightly beyond) or just land straight from a self selected suborbital track (if you panic).

sxlDO0C.gif

I'm still fishing out many bugs, so behaviour may change.

Getting back to Kerbin (after a manual launch) was easy using the circularize-at-apoapsis maneuver I built in, and thereafter making a maneuver node, which I can also execute automatically (Execute custom burn option). Thereafter get close to kerbin and activate the re-entry program, of which you see the last few minutes here, followed by a nice night-landing:

jyLYJ27.gif

I've been having great fun! Although I'm still sometimes getting some unexpected crashes I can mostly deal with them. (phew) :cool:

Can we get much higher, So high

On 11/3/2022 at 6:38 PM, RealTimeShepherd said:

@Kari Has anyone got QD to QD docking working? I have both StarShips set to use QD docking and I'm basically brushing the QD ports against each other, but they just won't bite:

https://ibb.co/RDYQyKC

https://ibb.co/2Nsg0fS

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Two things are important for QD to QD docking with this mod:

- You need to disable these pipeline covers or whatever they are named, as they get in the way of the QD docking port.

- You need to set the docking to QD to QD from the AFT section of the ship I think.

Then it should be working!

Pretty high on my to do list was to improve booster catch reliability. People were reporting that they had boosters not landing accurately already for some time, and I may have finally found a solid fix for that:

The fix mainly consists of using the Trajectories mod during the boostback burn. For this the Booster needs to be in focus, which was never the issue. But sometimes (1 out of 5 times or so) KSP messes things up and it unloads the Starship continuing to orbit which always caused me mayhem, but no longer!

In the video below you can see on of such cases where it reloads the scene upon changing back to Starship. But now Starship will succesfully continue to finish its launch into orbit and the booster will also still continue back down to the tower.

I also made the flying behaviour of the booster a bit more reliable and smooth (lateral errors where a bit unstable), and the result is quite satisfying. The goal was to make Boosters more reliable for people running different setups and computer speeds. I hope that this will work out that way.

If you happen to download my latest version (recover all your old ships first, for reasons I will explain below!!), let me know if things are working reliably or if there are issues that pop up (due to computer and setup differences)!

TNuuY9i.gif

You'll need to recover any old ships with the Interface already installed due to the following (I think useful) addition:

I added another CPU in the front part of Starship that monitors the Interface, and in case of a crash this CPU will restart the Interface automatically. This should help getting the Interface back up quickly in critical moments where an unexpected error may (but should not) occur.

Edited by Janus92

8 hours ago, Janus92 said:

Pretty high on my to do list was to improve booster catch reliability. People were reporting that they had boosters not landing accurately already for some time, and I may have finally found a solid fix for that:

The fix mainly consists of using the Trajectories mod during the boostback burn. For this the Booster needs to be in focus, which was never the issue. But sometimes (1 out of 5 times or so) KSP messes things up and it unloads the Starship continuing to orbit which always caused me mayhem, but no longer!

In the video below you can see on of such cases where it reloads the scene upon changing back to Starship. But now Starship will succesfully continue to finish its launch into orbit and the booster will also still continue back down to the tower.

I also made the flying behaviour of the booster a bit more reliable and smooth (lateral errors where a bit unstable), and the result is quite satisfying. The goal was to make Boosters more reliable for people running different setups and computer speeds. I hope that this will work out that way.

If you happen to download my latest version (recover all your old ships first, for reasons I will explain below!!), let me know if things are working reliably or if there are issues that pop up (due to computer and setup differences)!

TNuuY9i.gif

You'll need to recover any old ships with the Interface already installed due to the following (I think useful) addition:

I added another CPU in the front part of Starship that monitors the Interface, and in case of a crash this CPU will restart the Interface automatically. This should help getting the Interface back up quickly in critical moments where an unexpected error may (but should not) occur.

Will there be a tutorial how to use the Starship by using kOS? and plus is the kOS starship mod gonna be on CKAN?