Screen freezing for fractions of a second

I do not have a lot of mods - both expansions, MechJeb2, TAC Fuel Balancer, AFBW and a couple others that were dependencies of these. Lately (especially after adding the Fuel balancer) I find that there are rather frequent - say once per minute - stutters, where the screen freezes for half a second. If I happen to move the camera around I will find the movement overshot when it recovers. Also really annoying when flying planes and need 'real time' control.

My video card is 3GB IIRC, and computer is kinda old - 4yrs. Is this behavior normal?

Thanks!

Only a fraction of a second? Those are rookie numbers.

The game will freeze up when it autosaves and the bigger the save file, the longer it takes. You’re probably noticing it now as your save has become larger, with more vessels each with more parts, more mods adding more part modules to each part, more contracts completed, more experiments run and so on. It will only get worse over time, not much you can do to avoid it except not adding more mods or launching more vessels.

Right now I’m coming to the end of an RP-1 career save where the save file is over 50MB and until recently contained over a hundred different vessels with many part modules, many contracts and autosave freezes that can last for over ten seconds at a time.

12 hours ago, splashboom said:

I do not have a lot of mods - both expansions, MechJeb2, TAC Fuel Balancer, AFBW and a couple others that were dependencies of these. Lately (especially after adding the Fuel balancer) I find that there are rather frequent - say once per minute - stutters, where the screen freezes for half a second. If I happen to move the camera around I will find the movement overshot when it recovers. Also really annoying when flying planes and need 'real time' control.

My video card is 3GB IIRC, and computer is kinda old - 4yrs. Is this behavior normal?

Thanks!

Yes, it is normal.  The game is not optimized for GPU vs CPU use, so a game of any size will slow even a high end computer.  Comes with the territory.  I have a couple of large space stations I use for testing.  they will cause some lag as well, and I have a Ryzen 7 3800x  64gb ram, and a Nvidia 2080 Super with 8gb ram.  Welcome to KSP :P .  Granted, the lag is not like it was with my older machine, but still lag.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:39 PM, splashboom said:

Oof .. I might look for the faster SSD for my next system. Yes, I forgot to mention these happen at auto-saves. I do have a bunch of craft flying around aimlessly, time for deep cuts :)

SSDs do help.  I also kill debris to help with frame rate.

Edited by Papa_Joe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.