Historical Space Race Challenge

Still loving this challenge.  Researching Korabl Sputnik 2, the design was interesting,  The Vostok capsule was designed for a human occupant, and had an ejection seat.  On re-entry the capsule was too heavy for the parachute, and land impact was too hard, so the seat is ejected at 7km altitude, and the human parachutes to landing separately to the capsule.    For the initial missions with the dogs, a special capsule was developed that replaces the ejection seat, but follows the same landing strategy.  KSP modelling the ejection of this capsule accurately is tricky, not sure it can be done well, but I'll give it a try. 

mRGQ84I.jpglJdTD8P.jpg
EHeaegS.jpg

Check out the big hole in the side of the fairing to allow ejection during launch.  This was used on the first K-S 2 launch, when a booster failed 26 seconds after launch.  Unfortunately, this was too late for the parachute to deploy properly, and the dogs were killed on impact with the ground.

Edited by jinnantonix

On 2/28/2022 at 1:33 AM, Scarecrow71 said:

@jinnantonix

You missed a couple of flights between Korabl-Sputnik II and Vostok I.

Oops. I did Venera 1, just forgot to post it.  See edit above. 

I missed Mercury-Redstone 2 as I was under the impression it was optional.  I get to do the Mercury-Redstone simulation with Freedom 7, right?

Edited by jinnantonix

In my Venera 1,  I show the fly-by of Venus, although that doesn't happen until May 19 1961.  From my research, Venera 1 lost all telemetry 7 days into flight, and so was a derelict when it reached Venus.  Also, I think it was supposed to do a DSM prior to the fly past which it didn't do, so not sure how close it passed Venus.

4 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

@jinnantonix

Am I missing something, or did you skip Venera I?  Or did you do the entire thing earlier?  I thought I saw it, but just want to confirm before giving you credit for the 4 Vostok's!

Venera 1 is done and documented above, and here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/206824-jinnantonixs-historical-space-race/&do=findComment&comment=4096945

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.