How will modded multiplayer work

Meb Kat

Will modded multiplayer have you install the mods on your end, or will it be like terraria on steam, where they install automatically as you join a server. Or will modded multiplayer not be a thing at all (I doubt that as that would be kind of lazy)

in ksp multiplayer mods some servers wont let you in if you dont have certain mods. if you join a server and launch a craft with mods only people with that mod will be able to load and see that craft. this probablt wouldnt work in ksp 2 so i think the first option makes sense. exept with dlc. in ksp 1 you cant load crafts with dlc parts you dont have. in ksp2 multiplayer it would be nice if you could see other players dlc ships and just not be able to build with dlc parts if they ad any.

I'm really hoping that simple part, texture, or shader mods in KSP2 can be safely shared across the network, either by utilizing services like Steam's Workshop or directly, and this won't be an issue for these.

Anything with custom code would have to be on users to download, though. Making it automatic would be a huge security hole.

35 minutes ago, Lijazos said:

It's safe to assume that clients will have to match server's mods in order to join. There's no other way.

Nope, in Space Engineers the client doesn't need the same mods as the server. It's helpful to do so, but it's not necessary. 

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Nope, in Space Engineers the client doesn't need the same mods as the server. It's helpful to do so, but it's not necessary. 

This isn't Space Engineers. If my server was heavily modded with parts mods, terrain modifications or anything that alters core features, any clients joining with unmatching or not loaded mods will face crashes, crafts with said mods not loading in their vicinity, etc

Having server not check for matching loaded files on clients is only a grateful invitation for cheaters to cause havoc on your creations.

Luna Multiplayer offers a closer example of how KSP MP might be managed than anything you could see on any other videogame.

Edited by Lijazos

2 hours ago, Lijazos said:

This isn't Space Engineers. If my server was heavily modded with parts mods, terrain modifications or anything that alters core features, any clients joining with unmatching or not loaded mods will face crashes, crafts with said mods not loading in their vicinity, etc

Having server not check for matching loaded files on clients is only a grateful invitation for cheaters to cause havoc on your creations.

Lol, I never said it should be done that way. All I'm saying is it could done that way. I think it would be funny to see someone's craft with half the parts missing because you don't have that mod installed.