Histerical Space Race - 18Watt

18Watt

This thread will be mission reports for @Scarecrow71's Historical Space Race Challenge.  I started a normal Science mode game.  I'm planning on doing both US and Russian launches in order, we'll see how that goes.

I'm playing 100% stock, with MH and BG expansion packs.  That causes some problems right off the bat, because the order technology appears in stock KSP is not necessarily the order in which they appeared in real life.  One example is the probe cores, which is required for the first launch.  Probe cores are not present right away in the tech tree, and when you uncover them they cost 90 science to unlock.  Most of the engines and boosters needed to make realistic early launches are also very deep in the tech tree.  So playing a stock game is going to require vessels to not be realistic-looking.  Which is ok, I think..

I'm also deviating from another challenge rule- the challenge specifies Russian launches need to be from the Desert facility.  However, the Woomerang facility more closely matches the ~45 deg. N latitude of where most Russian launches would have been from.  So I'm planning on doing most of my Russian launches from Woomerang.  

Playing stock, I had trouble gathering enough science to unlock the first probe core.  I gathered science from Woomerang, the nearby grasslands, Desert Pad, Desert Runway, and the Desert.  After all that, I had enough science to unlock the first probe core, and one of the rocket nodes as well.  Once I get to the US launches, it's allowed to gather science from KSC (I think..).  There's enough science at KSC to unlock about half the tech tree, so I should be fine at that point.

Anyway, here's some early launches:

R-7 Semyorka ICBM:

Spoiler

First off, this shot isn't the final rocket I launched- I ended up adding a Materials Bay experiment, but you get the idea..  I was not able to unlock radial decouplers for this launch, and I tried really hard.  If I was able to farm science from KSC it would not have been a problem.  I'm launching from Woomerang, so the lowest inclination I can cheaply get is about 45 degrees, which is what the Russian launches had to work with as well.  Oh, the first probe core has no SAS whatsoever, so the launch is going to be tricky to fly.

BxuEgmJ.png

The mountains to the east are not really a problem, my flight path will take me well above them.  You can see an antenna on the top of the center mountain.

EigZzbG.png

On one of my early attempts I accidentally ended up with a nearly complete orbit, so I considered that a fail.  The original goal of the R-7 was a range of 6,000 km, which is almost completely around Kerbin.  However, it seemed more realistic to aim for a shorter distance, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 way around Kerbin.

Ce8te8b.png

This next shot is a more realistic trajectory, about halfway around Kerbin.  Ended up with an AP about 150 km.  The 'dummy warhead' will re-enter unpowered, with a purely ballistic trajectory.

nR19xd2.png

Here's the 'payload'.  Although there is no requirement to reach the surface intact (the original didn't!), I did protect it with a heat shield, and tacked on a parachute for a soft landing as well.

eA5yTc2.png

The flight summary, showing ground distance covered was about 2,600 km.

jdX4BOQ.png

Sputnik-I:

Spoiler

For Sputnik, I was able to unlock radial decouplers.  Still doesn't visually look like the massive vehicles actually used, but the concept is roughly the same.  Again, I'm launching from Woomerang.

TI0oBWr.png

Climbing over the mountains.

7RTsSEK.png

Sputnik in orbit.  It has no solar panels, so it will die eventually.

wajNiCs.png

This orbit is probably similar to the actual Sputnik orbit, highly inclined, about 200 X 900 km.  The original satellite eventually returned to earth as it's orbit decayed.  Due to KSP eliminating atmospheric drag at 70 km above Kerbin, this orbit will never decay.  Once the batteries die, maybe I'll just delete it.

RzHgFpJ.png

Sputnik-II:

Spoiler

Laika Kerman is playing the role of a dog for this mission.  Again, launched from Woomerang.  This vehicle did not perform as well as I hoped, I ended up needing larger boosters.

2TbLGDC.png

Here's the vehicle that made the required orbit, with bigger boosters.

SuCxD2p.png

Not sure how close this is to the actual Sputnik-II orbit, mine is ~170 X 1,160 km.  Although the original Laika perished shortly after reaching orbit, I'm not going to intentionally kill this 'Laika'.  I'll bring her home.

Arc6Sul.png

Just enough gas left for a de-orbit burn.  

dEgbgO5.png

Re-entry, passing Woomerang off in the distance.

sNmfzJ3.png

I was kind of aiming for a landing at Woomerang, but missed it by a considerable distance.  That's ok, the first several recovery attempts of actual spacecraft did not always get very close to their marks either.

41j42KL.png

Next up will be Vanguard I.  I can launch from KSC for that, which means I can gather science from KSC as well.  Should have a more filled-out tech tree before the next launch.  Also, Vanguard I requires solar panels.  I'm not even remotely close to unlocking solar panels, so I'll need the science from KSC to do the next launch.

13 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Are you running any mods on this?

No, 100% stock, with the BG and MH expansion packs.

Vanguard 1:

Spoiler

Vanguard 1 will launch from KSC, so I'm collecting science from KSC with the 'Rollver'.  I now have wheels, so it isn't really a rollver any more, getting closer to an actual 'rover'.  Was able to unlock enough to make future Russian launches look a little better.  Vanguard 1 is actually pretty simple though, I didn't really need the extra science to launch it.

QwONJ8m.png

Vanguard 1 is a 3-stage rocket, and has solar panels to keep it alive a little longer.

VlblE6q.png

The little ball-shaped probe core does not have any SAS, so flying the thing is really tricky.

y2Vy067.png

Next shot is the second stage, which will circularize the orbit, but not get it to the final dimensions.

AMuaQ4k.png

Third stage boosts the probe to it's final orbit.

xWxaB3a.png

Final orbit, 670 X 3,970 km.  The orbit is slightly inclined, but not as much as the Sputnik 1 orbit.

ZGai5Zz.png

Luna 1:

Spoiler

Luna 1 sitting on the pad.  The center engine is a Bobcat, the Kodiak engines do not gimbal, and with no SAS I needed a way to steer the rocket.  Also needed stabilizing fins to keep it from flipping.

RETH8eb.png

Launching from Woomerang, so the orbital inclination will be about 45 degrees.  That will make it much harder to hit Mun!

FvfacT1.png

Carefulling!  With no SAS you can't let your attention drop off even for a second!

irbfQhm.png

The tapered fuel tanks have built-in separation rockets.  I left their power at 100%.  You can't see from the photo, but those things are spinning like crazy!  I'm surprised they didn't damage the core rocket!

6nL5IFn.png

The core booster is dropped off, the upper stage will perform the burn to Mun.  Hitting Mun while in a 45 degree inclination at Kerbin is not easy!

y3oJUA9.png

After the Mun burn is complete, I drop the second stage.  The probe will now go wherever gravity takes it!  I can't even rotate the probe, because the little probe core does not have built-in reaction wheels.

PQq5qU7.png

Luna 1 was originally intended to impact Mun.  But it ended up missing it, and getting thrown off into a solar orbit.

5N7ii9C.png

Missed it by that much.

A58m0vZ.png

After missing the target (Mun), the probe is thrown off into a solar orbit.

PS0gjFv.png

• 2 weeks later...

Discoverer 1

Spoiler

Discoverer 1.  Two stage, first satellite in a polar orbit.

kbJItNm.png

On the pad.

B5X4DXq.png

Launch.

GBUTPf8.png

Aiming for a polar orbit.

2J4enSP.png

Separation of second stage.

kdXOcji.png

Final polar orbit, dimensions roughly similar to Discoverer 1.

UZtpFDQ.png

Explorer 6:  

Spoiler

Explorer 6, another two-stage rocket.  First photograph of earth from orbit.  I put as much science on the satellite as I could.

jIhOhci.png

Prior to fairing deploy and second stage ignition.

zlzLAW8.png

Final orbit, again similar to Explorer 6.  Highly eccentric and inclined.  Not sure if I have the inclination correct, but you get the idea.

hhMedkn.png

Luna 2:

Spoiler

Luna 2, first hard landing on the Moon.  It's a pretty big target, but we missed it on our first try.  Shot in the VAB, probably has enough dv to reach Jool, but it's somewhat realistic-looking.

ETtOIoJ.png

Launching from Woomerang.  Launches from here will always be highly inclined, so hitting Mun will be a bit more challenging.

Y3o7aOg.png

Dropping the side boosters.

54iMII5.png

The 'lander' ready to depart for Mun.

OqGHLWZ.png

Hitting Mun from a highly inclined orbit requires a bit of timing.

8LyCt8l.png

Looks like we're gonna hit it!  The rocket had enough dv to do a soft landing on Mun, but the original impacted at a very high velocity, so that's what I'm going to do here.

sLJHoXe.png

Just a few seconds from impact..

CfjtSoQ.png

This was a pretty good impact, I don't think a single part survived.  Not sure why the flight status says on escape trajectory out of the Mun.  This thing hit hard, it's probably about 30 m under the surface..

R0HyHxC.png

Luna 3:

Spoiler

Luna 3, basic profile is to have an encounter with Mun, and use Mun's gravity to put the satellite on a return trajectory to Kerbin.  Again, the 'realistic' looking rocket has enough dv to get to Jool.

oBXLrM3.png

On the pad, again using Woomerang to simulate the challenges the Russians face using such a northerly launch site.

DU9w0Wa.png

Dropping the boosters.

AkKnv5k.png

Mun encounter.

x1XCOwB.png

The encounter will give me a Kerbin PE of a tad over 73 km.

lNpze7a.png

Final orbit of Kerbin.  The encounter with Mun lowered my inclination in Kerbin orbit greatly.  I suspect eventually the satellite will have an encounter with Mun and get flung out of Kerbin's SOI.

xub7ikb.png

Discoverer 13

Spoiler

Discoverer 13, first satellite recovered intact.  The Separatron in the nose is to de-orbit the satellite.

1rpbPQx.png

Launchpad.

RNImFIS.png

Here's a shot showing the Separatron.

BTlW7P2.png

Final orbit, prior to the retro burn from the Separatron.

mgF27KQ.png

The satellite.  The only way to get out of orbit is to use the Separatron solid rocket.

wFMNlxC.png

Burning the retro rocket.  I'm pointing prograde because the retro rocket is in the nose.

rcEEqpd.png

Parachute to landing.

sBSW3mg.png

Discoverer 14:

Spoiler

Discoverer 14, recovery of a spy satellite.

4oclIdk.png

Roughly polar orbit.

FxBgd4D.png

Over the Desert launch site.

LQOGEab.png

New and improved design!  Twice the Separatrons!

pHTp1tI.png

Landed.

em49A5i.png

Korbal-Sputnik 2:

Spoiler

First animals and plants recovered alive from space.  For this mission, Jeb will be playing the role of the animal.

j3KrlQc.png

On the Woomerang pad.

VTIlbwX.png

Typical highly inclined orbit from Woomerang.

tl3yafH.png

Recovery.

TkEoySa.png

Mercury Redstone 2:

Spoiler

First primate in space.  Again, Jeb will play the part of the monkey.

g1KPdNH.png

On the pad.

RIQm2V7.png

This flight is just a suborbital hop.

vgXjlp9.png

Monkey in space.

okie7Lg.png

Venera 1:

Spoiler

FIrst object sent to heliocentric orbit.  Flyby of Venus (Eve).

GytHtSL.png

Launch from Woomerang.  

XIjUByY.png

Flyby of Eve.

cxMsmMD.png

Vostok 1:

Spoiler

First Kerballed spaceflight.

Hxp9vyh.png

On pad in Woomerang.

GTV2sGj.png

Burning after launch.

nAApJWD.png

Low orbit.

Jzji4C6.png

The capsule.

1vm6kxp.png

Freedom 7:

Spoiler

First pilot controlled spaceflight.

w3P8VjI.png

On KSC pad.

E6ZnmR5.png

Suborbital hop.

hhVx81u.png

Vostok 2:

Spoiler

FIrst crewed mission lasting a full day.

lNEiA3e.png

Woomerang.

T541OL4.png

Climbout.

ANZOySR.png

Orbit.

TlagVLn.png

I'm getting better at landing near Woomerang.

Qy8YJbK.png

Vostok 3 and 4:

Spoiler

Two crewed ships in space at the same time.

nmgTbel.png

Both ships will launch from Woomerang.

ldApkBg.png

Timing is required to match the highly inclined orbits from Woomerang.  I got pretty close.

leDmRSv.png

Orbital burn will. happen soon.

Ga1rgLv.png

Two capsules got pretty close.

dDH5uU6.png

Jeb exited the capsule and parachuted to the ground, here he is watching his capsule land.

GnfUc0K.png

Val is exiting her capsule, getting ready to jump and use her capsule.

SHJJS7S.png

Val and her capsule both under canopy.

cLzr339.png

Vostok 6:

Spoiler

First woman in space.

dyEYDOd.png

I used Laika.

QWEkLGG.png

Boosters separating.

tpLCJ9D.png

Laika ejected and is using her personal chute.  The capsule is in the background, also under canopy.

M0S5RvZ.png

Chasing the capsule to the ground.

2sBDsVn.png

Mars 1:

Spoiler

First flyby of Mars.

secTh0s.png

Woomerang.

SsXMOEa.png

Intercept of Duna.  The white line that goes out to near Dres is the ship I sent on a flyby of Eve (Venera).

ekcNSAL.png

Flyby of Ike and Duna.

ZQi4gdp.png

After passing Duna, the final orbit is just a little offset from Duna's.  Theoretically it could eventually have another encounter with Duna.

DkPqIrb.png

X15 Flight 90:

Spoiler

Instead of building a B52, which would need to crash anyway, I build a simpler jet delivery vehicle.  Plus, I didn't have all the parts I needed to really build a decent B52.

Y8DxVWr.png

On the runway.

tE4TSYw.png

Got a little over 12 km before the engines conked out.

zZ9ob4a.png

Climbing on rocket engines now.

yonERNb.png

Steeper.

iYlOSct.png

This will just be a suborbital hop.

nlIuEKZ.png

Near the apoapsis.

07EMiWg.png

Reentry.

dBR0Thj.png

The plane flies pretty good even without SAS if needed.

LCNOlyx.png

Landed.

5bGuVFH.png

Syncom 2 and 3:

Spoiler

Geosynchronous orbit and Geostationary orbit.

CT5kL1E.png

The satellite, not sure if this is 2 or 3, they both are nearly the same.

D7x4uNx.png

Ah, here's 3.  The previous photo must have been 2 in orbit.

gW7rmPv.png

Final orbits.  Syncom 3 in in geostationary orbit just a little east of being over Desert launchpad.  Syncom 2 (white line) is in geosynchronous orbit, roughly over KSC, but it's position will vary a little.

10xX2nx.png

Voskhod 2:

Spoiler

First EVA.

3kjjQbr.png

Woomerang.

xN4efSL.png

Orbit.  Didn't take a screenshot of the EVA, but one of the Kerbals went outside.

dCe9OTC.png

Gemeni 3:

Spoiler

Basically just an orbital flight, where the vessel makes a burn while in orbit.

HddsmdJ.png

yTrzLOi.png

Gemeni 6 and 7:

Spoiler

Gemeni 6 and 7 are both identical, with 2-crew pods.  I put RCS thrusters on both Gemeni 6 and 7.  Unfortunately, I also forgot to put Monopropellant tanks on both ships as well, and didn't realize that until they were both in orbit.

VOyuJCo.png

The orbit will be slightly inclined.

WbUW758.png

Here's one of them about to drop a booster.

NfxuoVD.png

Launching the second ship and trying to match inclinations.  Got pretty close.

u2JTz8g.png

This is the first orbit of the second launch- I managed to time the launch so the ships are very close together.

HkbwN4X.png

Even without RCS I was able to get them pretty close together.

jveVcI7.png

Luna 9:

Spoiler

First soft landing on Mun.  Launch from Woomerang.

6xgEncS.png

Orbit of Mun.

sR2pnjE.png

Soft landing.  Don't worry about all the rocket parts scattered nearby.  Those are from the third stage, which I didn't need for landing.  In fact, it looked like it would tip over if I tried to land on the third stage, so I ditched it just before touchdown.

GUvIrdJ.png

@18Watt

You are missing recovery/Kerbin landed shots from Voskhod 2, Gemini 3, Gemini 6 and Gemini 7.  You are also missing the EVA shot from Voskhod 2.  I cannot call you complete through Luna IX without those shots, unfortunately.  I mean, I know you did it.  But in the interest of challenge fairness to anyone who participates, you gotta have those shots.  I'll mark you complete through Syncom 3, and then I can update the leaderboard once you get those shots in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.