Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

Today's update (no, I don't want to get in the habit of daily updates, this is supposed to be a hobby, not a job...) leverages the work I did for the B2 Ballast Wedge and adds the B2 Storage Wedge. As its name implies, the Storage Wedge has inventory space and can hold resources if you have Wild Blue Tools or B9PartSwitch installed. If you have both, then Wild Blue Tools takes precedence. With Wild Blue Tools, the inventory space and the Omni Storage volume are updated when you apply the different variants. With B9PS, the inventory volume and resource volume are fixed.

Here's a look with WBT installed:

2C4goH4.png

GentRTW.png

I also made sure that all the Buffalo 2 parts can be printed by Sandcastle's 3D printers...

6 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

If this is your main project now, are the KFS mothership and SunkWorks dead?

Yup, this is my main project. We'll see where I'm at after I finish it. I definitely want to take a break from modding until KSP 2 is released. For SunkWorks, I'm debating whether or not to finish the boat parts; it depends upon how long it takes for me to finish Buffalo 2. As for the KFS mothership, that's a labor of love, and one I get to when I get to. At least the Flapjack is done. :)

I wouldn't call them dead, more like hibernating.

Work has been a beast this week, but I've been slowly working on the generic IVAs. Here you can see the flooring for both the short module (left) and the full-length module (right):

22bjh0s.png

The ceiling is set up so that I can place roof windows on future models while still leaving a center isle for kerbals to walk on.

N0OIoxt.png

Once the generic IVAs are done, they'll set the tone for variants such as the longer windows and modules with overhead windows. They'll be filled with props from Near Future Props. :)

On 2/20/2022 at 9:11 AM, obnox twin said:

Nice will ASET be in involved? or no.

I'm planning on using

On 2/21/2022 at 10:59 AM, chaos113 said:

would it be possible to add one with with windows on the bottom?

22 hours ago, planeticegaming said:

like an orbital viewing area

Currently no plans, but I can look into it.

23 minutes ago, dvdwilliams88 said:

Idea for pop outs like on motorhomes. https://stxmotorhomes.com/models/stx-2-pop-outs-garage/

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Due to excessive work, I haven't been able to do anything with Buffalo 2 for a couple of weeks. But tonight, I made some progress. This is the first iteration of the generic IVA as seen in game.  As mentioned before, as with the exterior, it is modular. This particular IVA is for the logistics module. here, Jeb is sitting on the jumpseat and making sure that I got the seating right.

dSPGhz8.png

Unless someone thinks the logistics module needs 2 seats, it currently only seats 1 kerbal. here you can see the other jumpseat that's folded up:

pqLpC4i.png

This is also a test to see if I got the resolution right, and it looks like it! :) Finding the right pixel density for IVAs has been an ongoing challenge, but I finally have something that works. Over the rest of the week I need to tweak the IVA more; add the normal maps, check the lighting, create some crates to stuff the module with- and so on. I'm hoping to finally have the first IVA finished by the weekend, which will free me up to build more Buffalo 2 parts.

Today I got the props and lighting done for the two modules. Here you can see what the interiors look like. The IVA mask isn't done yet. Figuring out the right level of lighting is always a pain.

L7QeAMK.png

And the kerbal's eye views:

VSH60sB.png

This view of the short logistics module also shows off the normal map...

vLVj0ne.png

Use of @Nertea's Near Future Props is a must- they're so nice!

My next goal is to apply a small model change to the IVA when you use the Station part variant. That'll give the IVA a domed ceiling instead of a flat one.

More progress today. My new ModuleIVAVariants watches for part variant changes and adjusts the interior view accordingly. Here, it's being used to open up the IVA a bit when the module is in the Station variant:

d2h28rS.png

z69YgLd.png

It also works with the IVA Mask:

AnUjnwf.png

And I got the ladders working:

vdhEPhj.png

With that, the logistics modules are finally done! :)

Todays's update: the B2 Habitat Module, here shown in station form:

RHDiinX.png

Unlike the first version of Buffalo, the second version will not have any hard dependencies on external mods, and that include things like Wild Blue Tools. But if you have things like WBT and Snacks installed, you do get extra goodies. Here, you can see that with Snacks installed you get an air scrubber, soil recycler, and an entertainment center. And with WBT installed, you also get an extra omni converter.

The B2 Habitat Module is pretty much the equivalent to M.O.L.E.'s Mark One Habitat so certain individuals wanting to convert their saves over to KSP 1.12 shouldn't have much trouble with using the Buffalo 2 hab modules and ditching the older MOLE ones.

In addition to the B2 Habitat Module, I have a full-sized B2 Briefing Module planned, as well as a half-sized B2 Galley Module and a half-sized B2 Gym Module. As with MOLE, the full-sized modules seat 2, while the half-sized modules seat 1. So, you'll have 4 parts dedicated to habitation directly, not including the lab and greenhouse and workshop...

And if I can fit the cryopods from DSEV in, I'll include a Deep Freeze Module as well.

On 3/16/2022 at 4:19 PM, SkyFall2489 said:

Pathfinder depends on the original buffalo, will it now be set to use either this or the old buffalo as a dependency, like the playmode?

Most likely, for CKAN and stand-alone, I'll stop bundling Pathfinder and recommend Buffalo 2.

Today, behind the scenes, I reorganized my library of 3D models for the exterior and IVA views, and added the new rooftop windows to the library as well. Moving forward, I should be able to move faster with rover/station/superstructure/IVA body part creation. Additionally, I got started on the hab module IVA:

fhuGMSC.png

There are a lot of tweaks to make, but it's a good start.

On 3/15/2022 at 8:58 PM, Angel-125 said:

The B2 Habitat Module is pretty much the equivalent to M.O.L.E.'s Mark One Habitat so certain individuals wanting to convert their saves over to KSP 1.12 shouldn't have much trouble with using the Buffalo 2 hab modules and ditching the older MOLE ones.

Wow, thanks. Since I will be updating from 1.3.0 :blush:

9 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Also, will there be an option for rooftop solar panels? If not, can there be a part meant to connect to the top node of the B2 parts that is a solar panel?

or what if there were solar panels that expanded out like these, they are compact and folded then could be deployed outwards when ur rover stops for a science study or recharge.

akta-awn2x3_g_02.jpg?auto=webp&format=pj

2 hours ago, planeticegaming said:

or what if there were solar panels that expanded out like these, they are compact and folded then could be deployed outwards when ur rover stops for a science study or recharge.

akta-awn2x3_g_02.jpg?auto=webp&format=pj

If you were going with that, why not just use SimpleLogistics? It lets you use the BG solar panels to power nearby landed craft. Sort of like in The Martian.

I like it, its seems to be quite modular and have utility beside its rover use.  Do you plan on making smaller frame/cabin as well? What I liked about the buffalo was that it was the smallest of the enclosed rover around here. 

I always have wished to have a super lightweight rover that can easily be deployed. That part always have been the bottleneck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.