Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

Today I finished the weathering on the tailgate ramp, and created the "cargo" variant. As you can see, the new variant works with any of the body modules, not just the upcoming cargo bays:

2u960hF.png

eW29TQX.png

The next part is the Buffalo 2 Command Module. After that, I can finally produce an alpha release. :)

On 4/30/2022 at 3:58 AM, jebycheek said:

Can't wait,is there any chance for a new type of propeller engine?

That's probably outside the scope of this mod. the old Buffalo has some, as does Heisenberg, and some other mods too, like airplane plus, freight transportation technologies, Feline Utility rovers....

7 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

That's probably outside the scope of this mod. the old Buffalo has some, as does Heisenberg, and some other mods too, like airplane plus, freight transportation technologies, Feline Utility rovers....

Nice, i'll have a try on that.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:49 AM, MoonstreamInSpace said:

Will it be possible to print the Buffalo 2 using Sandcastle? It seems that KSP doesn't allow inventory parts  within inventories.

Yup, Buffalo 2 can be printed with Sandcastle. And yes, the parts will have an inventory.

Somehow many parts remind me of the planetside mod by benjee10. So the roverbase and the wheels and so on. Maybe there are some synergies if the parts would be compatible?! Just a thought. Maybe having a look is worth it. I have the Planetsidemod and love it (but its IVAs are a little simple for the habitats). Maybe you can make use of its parts/ideas for baseconstruction, as is comes with many parts for groundbase-assembly like fundamentbases, ladders, wind turbines... would be nice if the buffalo rover could dock to it (e.g. height-wise) seamlessly.

just a thought, you may ignore it.

Edited by Rakete

On 5/8/2022 at 11:30 AM, Rakete said:

Somehow many parts remind me of the planetside mod by benjee10. So the roverbase and the wheels and so on. Maybe there are some synergies if the parts would be compatible?! Just a thought. Maybe having a look is worth it. I have the Planetsidemod and love it (but its IVAs are a little simple for the habitats). Maybe you can make use of its parts/ideas for baseconstruction, as is comes with many parts for groundbase-assembly like fundamentbases, ladders, wind turbines... would be nice if the buffalo rover could dock to it (e.g. height-wise) seamlessly.

The Planetside rover was also based off of the real life SEV, although the surface variant of the SEV looked more like the Karibou from MKS. I think there was also one with an open cab and a separate pressurized area, or the cabin of the surface one could be removed, something like that. In the past I have mashed Buffalo parts with the PET rover (not the prettiest crafts, hehe) and through part clipping they can be forced to equal height.

On 5/8/2022 at 8:30 AM, Rakete said:

Benjee10' mod is very cool for sure! It has a lot of nice concepts to it. I remember when it was first released, the intro video was outstanding. Anyway, I downloaded Planetside to check for compatibility, and the two are pretty close (that ugly nose on the Buffalo 2 is the start of the command module):

rNt72qn.png
J8KFF28.png

The wheel height is slightly off though. You wouldn't be able to simply drive up in a Buffalo 2 rover and dock with a Planetside base- at least out of the box, with no adjustments. I'd have to make the Buffalo wheels smaller- possibly something to look at after the initial alpha release.

If you wanted to use the two together, you'd just need to either raise the Buffalo 2's chassis up a bit, or don't use the Buffalo 2 rover bits in favor of Planetside's dedicated rover, and just use B2's body modules. My estimates are that the standard-length B2 module is 0.625m shorter than the standard length Planetside cylindrical base module, so I can add a small extension (and a half-sized variant to line up with Planetside's half-sized module) to make up the difference. It'll be the B2 Mini Logistics Module, and won't have an IVA.

I do have some components planned to support bases made from the rover's body parts, but they're in Phase 3. Phase 1 is what I'm working on now, and Phase 2 has the submarine parts. At the rate I'm going, I might have Phase 3 done by end of the year. *sigh*

Yeah, my thoughts were, that since the two mods buffalo and planetside are pretty close to each other maybe you, the phenomenal mod creators, could benefit from each other... that was my thought. :D

They look like a the same family - which is good. :cool:

Edited by Rakete

19 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

There was an adapter from Buffalo to Lynx? I don't recall making one...

maybe it was  made by the lynx mod owner, but another adapter that could be useful is one to link with the malamute rover 

Today I built the B2 Mini Logistics Module. It has variants for rover, station, and superstructure, as well as "spacer" variants. If nothing else, this will let you use the Buffalo 2 body modules with Planetside. Here's a preview:

h8D0ctA.png

Pq4Eso0.png

I also updated the wheels to reduce their size somewhat. That'll help with compatibility as well:

RkmkVVF.png

I need to figure out what's wrong with the suspension on my wheels, but I tested the docking system and things line up.

15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Today I built the B2 Mini Logistics Module. It has variants for rover, station, and superstructure, as well as "spacer" variants. If nothing else, this will let you use the Buffalo 2 body modules with Planetside. Here's a preview:

h8D0ctA.png

Pq4Eso0.png

I also updated the wheels to reduce their size somewhat. That'll help with compatibility as well:

RkmkVVF.png

I need to figure out what's wrong with the suspension on my wheels, but I tested the docking system and things line up.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT MODULE IN THE BOTTOM PHOTO

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 8:48 PM, Angel-125 said:

I do have some components planned to support bases made from the rover's body parts, but they're in Phase 3. Phase 1 is what I'm working on now, and Phase 2 has the submarine parts. At the rate I'm going, I might have Phase 3 done by end of the year. *sigh*

May I request that base parts are prioritized first? It seems like it would be a little quicker to get done, and I'm more excited for those.

i loved the original buffalo and pathfinder but found that the rover wheels and parts were too early in the tech tree and would most the time get the buffalo's wheels before the rover wheels so it made alot of wheels in the stock game oboslete.

where are the rover parts going to be positioned in the tech tree in buffalo 2 and will it have surrport for extended tech tree

also how the mod going atm?

4 minutes ago, planeticegaming said:

i loved the original buffalo and pathfinder but found that the rover wheels and parts were too early in the tech tree and would most the time get the buffalo's wheels before the rover wheels so it made alot of wheels in the stock game oboslete.

where are the rover parts going to be positioned in the tech tree in buffalo 2 and will it have surrport for extended tech tree

From what I know, @Angel-125 took a short break to add some new parts to Blueshift, but will be done with that soon. Currently, the only part that remans before the first release is the cockpit.

Edited by SkyFall2489

On 5/27/2022 at 9:16 PM, SkyFall2489 said:

May I request that base parts are prioritized first? It seems like it would be a little quicker to get done, and I'm more excited for those.

I'm looking into that. Phase 1 is almost done. Phase 2 is (tentatively) base components and finishing up the body parts. Phase 3 is (tentatively) submarine parts, and Phase 4 is (tentatively) Puddle Jumper parts in lieu of the original's airplane parts.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:15 PM, planeticegaming said:

The parts are spread out amongst the tech tree. For the wheels, they're available when you unlock Advanced Motors, which is a step above Field Science.

As noted, I've been working on Blueshift for the past month, but now that it's done, I'm back to Buffalo 2.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this is off topic, but while taking a coding class, I came up with a coding related parody of the sea shanty, Wellerman.

Soon may the update come

To let more rocket science be done

One day, when the debugging is done

We'll release our code and go

A few notes about the lyrics:

"one day, when the debugging is done"

Sometimes, debugging code can be as annoying as crawling around inside a whale carcass, as the corresponding lyrics in the original go.

Original:

Edited by SkyFall2489