Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

Today I built the new B2 Jack Lift. This part is designed to help players build rovers in the field. Just drop one of these on the ground, attach a chassis, raise the jack lift, and attach the wheels and such. Here's a look:

Qqt4dNq.png

qgyDBGL.png

zrwRi8Q.png

The last part that I made is the B2 Gripper Pad. It's like the grip strips from the Breaking Ground DLC, but they are sized for the Buffalo 2 rover body, and they have the extra added ability to double as a heat shield (and even shield the part they're attached to). Here's a look:

yE3cVbq.png

ogczPFi.png

Anyway, that completes Buffalo 2 v1.4: Loose Ends, and completes Phase 2! Here's the breakdown for 1.4, you can download it here:

Changes

- Added new Alt variants to the B2 Trailer Frame.

New Parts

- B2 Body Docking Port: This specialized docking port is designed to dock rover bodies together.
- B2 Gripper Pad: This part provides grip support for rovers (well, rover bodies resting on the ground) and some heat protection.
- B2 Jack Lift: This part helps players build rovers in the field.
- B2 Passenger Module: This short-length module seats a pair of kerbals in relative comfort.
- Beta 2 Gravitic Engine: This engine combines the GND-00 "Beta" Gravitic Engine from Kerbal Flying Saucers with a short Buffalo 2 body module. It won't be available unless Kerbal Flying Saucers is installed.
- Buffalight: This wide-beam light can pivot up and down, change color, and even blink if needed.

Phase 3 is the final phase of development for Buffalo 2. It will contain the submarine parts

3 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Basealo 1 has been delivered south of the runway.

The pallet positions itself beneath the second module.

I seem to have had a kraken attack when they docked.

Yeah, I just have wild kraken attacks when I dock them

Be sure to adjust the wheel springs and dampers. I find that I get kraken strikes with a lot of weight on the wheels.

Today I created the B2 Short Aquarium Module. This will only be available if you have SunkWorks installed. This module works best with the latest Snacks installed. If you have Snacks, then you can turn on the Fishing converter within the module and go fishing. Every 6 hours, your Aquarium Module will attempt to catch Fish as long as your vessel is in the water on a planet with an oxygenated atmosphere (Kerbin and Laythe count). With Snacks Stress enabled, the Fishing activity will reduce Stress. And if you have a B2 Galley installed, you can Make Sushi to turn Fish into Snacks (making sushi will also reduce Stress). Finally, the part has an integrated ballast tank. Anyway, here's a look:

0ch2wWR.png

sKGpEfQ.png

f9UPJae.png

The aquarium module kicks off Buffalo 2 v1.5: Sunken Treasures, and you can download the pre-release here.

12 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Are the peepers placeholder or is kerbin 4546B>?

They're a nod to Subnautica. Buffalo 2 has a lot of art influences from Subnautica. And yes, there will be a bioreactor part to convert Fish into Liquid Fuel to power the sub's fuel cells...

Another thing I'm working on: next update will make it so that you can catch Fish without the need for Snacks installed. That's because the Bioreactor will need Fish to turn into LiquidFuel. Also, I'm adding a station variant, and the aquarium can breed fish without the need to be in an ocean and catching fish.

2 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Are the peepers placeholder or is kerbin 4546B>?

Have you been underwater on Kerbin with Parallax 2? Kerbin has become 4546b. ;) Now you have to change Mun's orbit to geostationery and make Minmus closer and have a polar orbit.

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Have you been underwater on Kerbin with Parallax 2? Kerbin has become 4546b. ;) Now you have to change Mun's orbit to geostationery and make Minmus closer and have a polar orbit.

No, I run JNSQ and don't know if Parallax works with it.

On 10/27/2022 at 2:17 AM, Angel-125 said:

Today I built the new B2 Jack Lift. This part is designed to help players build rovers in the field. Just drop one of these on the ground, attach a chassis, raise the jack lift, and attach the wheels and such. Here's a look:

My dreams come true. Is it a robotic part that can be used to lift and secure a rover inside the  (space)plane or dropship to avoid RUD due to wheel - cargobay collisions?

upd: I see the PAW window, no is isn't. Still need to use 2 clumsy-wobbly small alligator hinges to secure a rover inside the cargobay and get it airborne again

Edited by Manul

4 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

@Angel-125,

I thought there was something about a B2 Smelter module at some point. When will that be made? All the other base parts are done. If it takes too long to make a smelter, maybe just clone the converter support unit?

Sandcastle should have a half-sized smelter now. It fits inside the larger cargo bay module.

Today I built the B2 Fuel Cell Module. This part generates Electric Charge from either Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer, or Liquid Fuel and Intake Air. It has a couple of snorkels to pull in IntakeAir (they shut off underwater), and it has an integrated ballast control system (if SunkWorks is installed). It comes in Tapered, Inline, and Station variants. Here's a look:

AbvRquv.png

And some context:

l03tZHT.png

1Y47t6P.png

59DSnNJ.png

This part is available in the latest pre-release, along with the updates to the B2 Aquarium Module and the new fish tank part.

47 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Will there be dedicated Buffalo 2 Underwater engines or are we going to be using sunkworks parts?

Yup, there will be dedicated Buffalo 2 underwater engines including a reworked Ebb Tide and a new part specially designed for the Buffalo 2 submarine hull.

46 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Huh?

I don't see it in the Sandcastle GitHub, nor is it mentioned in the SC forum thread. 

Hm, well, it should be there, I'll go spelunking...

7 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Yup, there will be dedicated Buffalo 2 underwater engines including a reworked Ebb Tide and a new part specially designed for the Buffalo 2 submarine hull.

Hm, well, it should be there, I'll go spelunking...

So many things.