Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

25 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I like that! Definitely could be added to buffalo.

Buffalo is not getting a 3.75m aerospike....... Expect it to appear in Mk-33 where the source (linear) aerospike is.

43 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

a 3.75m diameter aerospike!

Yes please! :o

4 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

@Angel-125 did you figure out what was going on with that mini smelter part for sandcastle? I still don't see it in either mod's GitHub.

Thank you for reminding me, that's an oversight on my part. After checking Sandcastle, I realized that I hadn't published the mini-smelter yet. Here is the release that has the new part. Also, I was watching a documentary on submarines this morning, and while it's my day off from modding, I did revisit the B2 Bioreactor part after discovering that submarines pull breathable oxygen right out of the seawater to replenish their reserves. So, I updated the part by removing the snorkel tubes and changing the Compressor converter into the Oxygenator converter. So long as the vessel is splashed and on a planet with an oxygenated atmosphere, it will produce Oxidizer. And with Snacks' Fresh Air enabled, it'll produce Fresh Air as well. I also fixed the missing Electric Charge requirements on the converters.

Anyway, you can find the updated Buffalo 2 pre-release here.

9 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Thank you for reminding me, that's an oversight on my part. After checking Sandcastle, I realized that I hadn't published the mini-smelter yet. Here is the release that has the new part. Also, I was watching a documentary on submarines this morning, and while it's my day off from modding, I did revisit the B2 Bioreactor part after discovering that submarines pull breathable oxygen right out of the seawater to replenish their reserves. So, I updated the part by removing the snorkel tubes and changing the Compressor converter into the Oxygenator converter. So long as the vessel is splashed and on a planet with an oxygenated atmosphere, it will produce Oxidizer. And with Snacks' Fresh Air enabled, it'll produce Fresh Air as well. I also fixed the missing Electric Charge requirements on the converters.

Anyway, you can find the updated Buffalo 2 pre-release here.

Well.. not right out of the seawater.  There is a big high pressure electrolysis device we just called the Oxygen generator.  Take distilled water from the still and crack it.  Oxygen into the boat and  hydrogen vented outside.  Most deployments I was on, it broke at some point and we burned chlorate candles to keep the O2 level up.  But your concept is good.  I'd say that with EVA Repairs installed, it should have a quite low MTBF with a propensity to just explode.

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Well.. not right out of the seawater.  There is a big high pressure electrolysis device we just called the Oxygen generator.  Take distilled water from the still and crack it.  Oxygen into the boat and  hydrogen vented outside.  Most deployments I was on, it broke at some point and we burned chlorate candles to keep the O2 level up.  But your concept is good.  I'd say that with EVA Repairs installed, it should have a quite low MTBF with a propensity to just explode.

We just called it, "The Bomb". A-gang ran it once a year as a PM item, and otherwise stayed as far away from it as they could. Got fresh air from ventilating once a watch when we came up to periscope depth.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

We just called it, "The Bomb". A-gang ran it once a year as a PM item, and otherwise stayed as far away from it as they could. Got fresh air from ventilating once a watch when we came up to periscope depth.

Hah!  Hard for the A-gangers to stay away with the thing right there in AMR.  Ventilating once a watch?  Luxury cruise!  Sounds suspiciously boomerish.  I was a rider on 688's.

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Hah!  Hard for the A-gangers to stay away with the thing right there in AMR.  Ventilating once a watch?  Luxury cruise!  Sounds suspiciously boomerish.  I was a rider on 688's.

I was a nuke on a 688 back in the late 80s-early 90s. And, yes, unless we were doing something that required us to be quiet, standard operating procedure was to run the low-pressure blower for five minutes at PD every watch when we ran comms to keep the air fresh.

18 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Who are A-Gang?

Auxiliarymen. On a nuke sub you have two divisions of Machinist's Mates, M-Division who works on all the mechanical stuff associated with the nuclear power plant, and A-Division, who works on all of the mechanical stuff associated with, well, everything else. A-Division, the Auxilliarymen, were nicknamed A-Gang.

13 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The documentary I watched said there are two crews for one submarine. Maybe it's one of them? I'm definitely curious @TheSaint@Ooglak Kerman :)

That's the boomers, the ballistic missile subs. Since they are supposed to spend almost all of their time at sea on deterrence patrol, they each have two crews, Blue Crew and Gold Crew. One crew takes the boat out for a 90-day patrol, then they bring the boat back in, they do a two-week turnover, and then the other crew takes it out. Attack subs do not have that luxury. One screw, one crew. :)

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

That's the boomers, the ballistic missile subs. Since they are supposed to spend almost all of their time at sea on deterrence patrol, they each have two crews, Blue Crew and Gold Crew. One crew takes the boat out for a 90-day patrol, then they bring the boat back in, they do a two-week turnover, and then the other crew takes it out. Attack subs do not have that luxury. One screw, one crew. :)

That's pretty funny.  It's quite possible he and I crossed paths.  I was one of those miserable riders who made the boat go away to parts unknown to do "stuff".  Breathe the air, eat the food, fill san-3 (that's the poop tank), take up a rack (generally in the torpedo room).  I do apologize for insinuating that you might have been one of those boomer guys.  Fast Attack Tough!

2 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

A-Gang also generally had the responsibility of keeping the one single most important piece of equipment on the boat working.  The ice-cream machine.

The ice-cream machine? Huh. I figured it was the coffee machine, but I'm biased. :)

44 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The ice-cream machine? Huh. I figured it was the coffee machine, but I'm biased. :)

Pshhthh..  Coffee is easy.  Ice-cream!  I was on a mission that went so long that we were out of almost everything.  No coffee.  No ice-cream.  No bug juice.  All we had was water to drink and egg noodles and canned potted meat to eat.  For 2 weeks before pulling back in.  To this day, I still can't deal with egg noodles.

I got off that mission, walked across the pier and went out on the next.  Had no life then but have interesting stories.  <waves hand> You have no interest in my stories.  They would bore you

<you walk away... bored>

<walks away... bored> Oh, look, a new part that needs to be textured!

Wgi0dx7.pngJSfnHXR.png

That's the Neap Tide Aquatic Engine that I messed with a bit today. It needs more work.

Anyway, I appreciate you two sharing your experiences and insight, especially while I get the submarine parts done. :)

13 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Auxiliarymen. On a nuke sub you have two divisions of Machinist's Mates, M-Division who works on all the mechanical stuff associated with the nuclear power plant, and A-Division, who works on all of the mechanical stuff associated with, well, everything else. A-Division, the Auxilliarymen, were nicknamed A-Gang.

Navy term in general. I was carriers, not subs, but there were a lot of similarities. A gang maintained the generators, air conditioning plant, condensers, etc. MP Division maintained the boilers, reduction gear, shaft bearings and seals, etc. On a nuke carrier, R Division maintained the reactor. This was in the late 80s / early 90s - the Division responsibilities and nomenclature drifts over time. Fun to see the other former squids / swabbies on this forum pipe up!

Today I finished up the SW-160 "Neap Tide" Aquatic Engine. It is a Size 1 (1.25m) engine that has the power of 4 of the Ebb Tide radial engines. One B2 Fuel Cell Module can power either 1 SW-160 or 4 SW-40s. You'll find them in SunkWorks as soon as I finish its plugin work and update that mod. Here's a look:

6twoTTF.png

ZornWPP.png

CSvwfxQ.png

3 hours ago, chaos113 said:

Sunfish inspired?

I was thinking angelfish, actually.

Today I reworked the SunkWorks dive control computer so that you can control the dive from any computer on the boat and all the computers will stay in sync. I also beefed up the Electric Charge of the stock fuel cells via a SunkWorks patch (they match the outputs from Extraplanetary Launchpads, and the patch won't be applied if EL is installed), and I added a Size 2 pumpjet part to SunkWorks as well. That concludes all the SunkWorks updates, and you can download the latest update here.

axIuNw3.png

I have four parts left until Buffalo 2 is completed! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.