Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

3 hours ago, chaos113 said:

Its almost sad that its done

Sad for me too because it's an end of an era. I've been modding KSP since 2013 (!) and after Buffalo 2, I'm basically done. I might finish that aerospike from last week, but it depends on how much time I have available.

Anyway, bonus update: B2 Pylon!

RITk7vg.png

KBJI3R2.png

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Sad for me too because it's an end of an era. I've been modding KSP since 2013 (!) and after Buffalo 2, I'm basically done. I might finish that aerospike from last week, but it depends on how much time I have available.

Anyway, bonus update: B2 Pylon!

RITk7vg.png

KBJI3R2.png

You will be missed in ksp2

6 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

The have said that they will be modding ksp2

Yup! I will be modding KSP 2. I have some ideas on that. I’m assuming that I have to start over from scratch and that not even my latest 3D models will look like they fit in KSP 2’s art style. We will see in a few months. But I plan to create 2-3 mods at most, like SunkWorks (I’m looking at you, procedural boat parts) and flying saucers. Definitely in a wait and see mode. Meanwhile, I might have Buffalo 2 done by end of the month, which would give me time to also wrap up my mission reports and play with this stuff. :)

10 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Sure hope the Blueshift makes the cut.  Even if it is only the warp engines.  Having to drive in the slow lane is a bummer.

Though you would think I'm used to it - being a VW bus guy.

That really depends on how KSP 2 handles interstellar travel. If it's something like "Then time passes..." it is hand-waved off camera, and then suddenly it's 600+ years in the future and you're in another galaxy/solar system, then something like Blueshift won't be needed. In such a case, you'd just build your interstellar craft, launch it, and poof, new solar system to explore.

If interstellar is anything like it is today, where we wait and wait and wait for the ship to arrive, then Blueshift has more relevance. We simply won't know until the developers of KSP 2 get around to making interstellar travel.

15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

That really depends on how KSP 2 handles interstellar travel. If it's something like "Then time passes..." it is hand-waved off camera, and then suddenly it's 600+ years in the future and you're in another galaxy/solar system, then something like Blueshift won't be needed. In such a case, you'd just build your interstellar craft, launch it, and poof, new solar system to explore.

I see absolutely no reason that it would hand-wave the interstellar distances when the developers have said repeatedly that crossing those distances is most of the challenge.

8 hours ago, Clancythecat said:

I see absolutely no reason that it would hand-wave the interstellar distances when the developers have said repeatedly that crossing those distances is most of the challenge.

Also the matter of if said hand waving and poofing occurs, then there is the problem of things that had occurred in the interim.  I expect that interstellar travel will look pretty much the same.

15 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

That looks really cool! I like how it just goes on top of other parts instead of being a full buffalo part. Could it be possible to make a lockout chamber variant of the B2 airlock?

Thanks! :) I thought of making it a full Buffalo part, but realized that it would have better utility as a hatch. As for a lockout chamber variant for the airlock, I'm not sure what you mean. If it's just the hatch and back porch, that's not in the cards, unfortunately. But all the Buffalo body modules can be surface attached, so you should be able to place and rotate it to the desired location:

GqYpbkg.png

Today I finished up the B2 Lockout Chamber's IVA. There isn't much to look at...

MELd1hv.png

I also started figuring out how the Guppy Submersible Command module will look:

uisufCr.png

vam8541.png

I'm trying to set up the command pod so that the front view will be as unobstructed as possible. Inspiration from this comes from:

60092_alt3.jpg

Anyway, I know that I said that this would be the last part for Buffalo, but I switched it up with the submarine sail- it needs some bake time while I figure out how it'll work.

24 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Today I finished up the B2 Lockout Chamber's IVA. There isn't much to look at...

MELd1hv.png

uisufCr.png

vam8541.png

I'm trying to set up the command pod so that the front view will be as unobstructed as possible. Inspiration from this comes from:

60092_alt3.jpg

Anyway, I know that I said that this would be the last part for Buffalo, but I switched it up with the submarine sail- it needs some bake time while I figure out how it'll work.

Sail?

That would be great! Basically all you need to implement is a thruster that changes thrust value based on direction relative to the prevailing wind, and map the prevailing wind. Maybe just always blow in the direction of planetary spin.

Along with making wings produce a large amount more lift under water, is enough to implement sailing. Don’t know how a sail would work under water though.

5 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Sail?

That would be great! Basically all you need to implement is a thruster that changes thrust value based on direction relative to the prevailing wind, and map the prevailing wind. Maybe just always blow in the direction of planetary spin.

Along with making wings produce a large amount more lift under water, is enough to implement sailing. Don’t know how a sail would work under water though.

Uh, more like:

uss-abq-sail-and-planes.jpg?strip=1&w=64

55 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

MELd1hv.png

uisufCr.png

vam8541.png

60092_alt3.jpg

Oh. that cockpit looks nothing like a cyclops.

Yup.  That's the sail.  And the planes are known as fairwater planes.  While under water, they control your depth without changing attitude.  Driving at periscope depth in rough weather is work.  I turned out to be weirdly good at it.

Off topic as heck, but make a copy of your game.  Add Galaxies Unbound.  Add GU_core first and then add the Lich system (pulsar) (Leethe in game).  Install the INSTANTIATOR mod (very small).  Remove the ExampleConfig.cfg from INSTANTIATOR then start the game - zoom out from the Tracking Station till you see Leethe.  Focus and zoom in.  Be amazed.

Spoiler

TkWSuOl.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman