Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

If you have Breaking Ground, try DSEV's Rotating Hub.

I have Breaking Ground, but I'm not finding a DSEV Rotating Hub anywhere.  I'm on DSEV 3.12.0 and everything is up to date.
Do you mean the Counter Torque Ring?  Maybe this has to do with it?

PART:NEEDS[MagicSmokeIndustries]

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

16 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I have Breaking Ground, but I'm not finding a DSEV Rotating Hub anywhere.  I'm on DSEV 3.12.0 and everything is up to date.
Do you mean the Counter Torque Ring?  Maybe this has to do with it?

PART:NEEDS[MagicSmokeIndustries]

The config file is called rotatingHub.cfg and it can be found in WildBlueIndustries/DSEV/Parts/Utility/StationParts. The part is called Rotating Hub. You should find it in the DSEV parts category as well as under the Utility parts category.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

The config file is called rotatingHub.cfg and it can be found in WildBlueIndustries/DSEV/Parts/Utility/StationParts. The part is called Rotating Hub. You should find it in the DSEV parts category as well as under the Utility parts category.

Hah!  Well, it helps to have researched those new nodes that got added in.  Been a while since I visited the Research Center.  Wow... lookit all the fun new things that I've been wishing for.  So many size-2 bits!  I've now got to rethink my reconnaissance mission to Nova Kerbani that was built around DSEV sized stuff.  Don't need such a large ship for a "check it out" mission.

Jeb immediately sees the opportunity here!

Spoiler

C9rUc7T.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Hah!  Well, it helps to have researched those new nodes that got added in.  Been a while since I visited the Research Center.  Wow... lookit all the fun new things that I've been wishing for.  So many size-2 bits!  I've now got to rethink my reconnaissance mission to Nova Kerbani that was built around DSEV sized stuff.  Don't need such a large ship for a "check it out" mission.

Jeb immediately sees the opportunity here!

Hide contents

C9rUc7T.png

Speaking of Nova Kirbani, check out the Blueshift thread...

2 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Very very nice.  That tailcone sure gives it a nice finished look.

Are electric motors for Da Choppah still a thing or have you dropped that?  Seems the WBR-3 fusion reactor would be the thing for powering electric motors.

That was dropped for now. The hard part is the electric motor; the OG version needed large amounts of electric charge, and the way that I had to do that involved oddly defined specific impulse values. Plus, defining the Atmosphere resource across multiple 3rd party mod packs was problematic. Plus, I would need to at least define Atmosphere in Buffalo 2 (it is defined in Classic Stock Resources), and maintaining two sets of definitions has proven to be cumbersome with Graviolium.

About the only way to do the above is to create a cusom electric motor part module, and maybe a custom intake part module that senses when you are on a world with an atmosphere rather than looking at a bunch of ill maintained planetary resource definition files. I did account for the possibility of electric tilt rotors when I redid the sound effects.

If the part modules aren’t too hard to do then I can see a dual-mode tilt rotor that uses Liquid Fuel/Intake Air or Electric Charge/Intake Atmosphere.

33 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I installed GET TO DA CHOPPAH ! and non of the parts appear. Am I missing something?

The pre-release only has the tilt-rotors. You'll need to install Kerbal Actuators in order to make use of them. You can find the link to Kerbal Actuators on the OP under Recommended Mods.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

That was dropped for now. The hard part is the electric motor; the OG version needed large amounts of electric charge, and the way that I had to do that involved oddly defined specific impulse values. Plus, defining the Atmosphere resource across multiple 3rd party mod packs was problematic. Plus, I would need to at least define Atmosphere in Buffalo 2 (it is defined in Classic Stock Resources), and maintaining two sets of definitions has proven to be cumbersome with Graviolium.

About the only way to do the above is to create a cusom electric motor part module, and maybe a custom intake part module that senses when you are on a world with an atmosphere rather than looking at a bunch of ill maintained planetary resource definition files. I did account for the possibility of electric tilt rotors when I redid the sound effects.

If the part modules aren’t too hard to do then I can see a dual-mode tilt rotor that uses Liquid Fuel/Intake Air or Electric Charge/Intake Atmosphere.

Huhh..  you lost me there at Atmosphere resource - but that's okay.  I keep a list of KSP things that make me go "huhh??"  Perhaps when I cross all the things off the list I will Understand.

15 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

This is so cool

unknown.png

Subnautika

unknown.png

Looks great! There will be dedicated submarine parts in Phase 3 that will help make Buffalo 2 more submarine like.

15 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Huhh..  you lost me there at Atmosphere resource - but that's okay.  I keep a list of KSP things that make me go "huhh??"  Perhaps when I cross all the things off the list I will Understand.

suffice to say that if the programming needed isn’t too hard then I can add an electric motor option 

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

suffice to say that if the programming needed isn’t too hard then I can add an electric motor option 

I have an answer to that. One of these options should suffice or at least give insight. I recommend #2 as it requires the least work. The only thing that can go wrong is if the player doesn't have MM installed and wants to fly on Eve or Duna. But that should be quite unlikely as no good mod works without MM (except maybe MKS). If you're very wary of that edge case then go with #1.

1. Rely on stock IntakeAir by default and assume that most players won't fly where there isn't Oxygen. Include a patch to change to IntakeAtm if CRP is installed, or Atmosphere if ClassicStock is installed.
  2. Conditionally define the Atmosphere resource in Buffalo2 ( :NEEDS[!ClassicStockResources] ). The whole resource pack's not installed? Declare just this.
  3. If you do code an electric motor then this plugin would need to define a virtual mass for the propellant and keep the amount from never changing. This path is easily how your anti-grav motor works but without bothering to track the CoM.

7 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

This is so cool

unknown.png

Subnautika

unknown.png

Burial at sea? Your coffins are way too expensive. :sticktongue:

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Today I finished the modeling of the new B2 Cargo Bay and B2 Cargo Bay (Short), and got most of the texture work done. The cargo bays have a variety of different styles such as:

Rover:

OLjLuo3.png

Station:

0l0WXaj.png

And Flatbed:

vzyMyah.png

The Rover variant can be configured with gullwing doors (with or without windows):

Yr5S1nM.png

... or sliding doors (with or without windows):

QGj3yL7.png

You can also configure the Rover variant to have tob, bottom, both, or neither of the endcaps. Here once again is Da Choppah, using the new cargo bays:

nkEUaUP.png

cdmWDSO.png

Again, the cargo bays aren't fully textured yet, but you can check out the latest pre-release here and give them a try along with the new wings and new tailcone.

12 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I have an answer to that. One of these options should suffice or at least give insight. I recommend #2 as it requires the least work. The only thing that can go wrong is if the player doesn't have MM installed and wants to fly on Eve or Duna. But that should be quite unlikely as no good mod works without MM (except maybe MKS). If you're very wary of that edge case then go with #1.

1. Rely on stock IntakeAir by default and assume that most players won't fly where there isn't Oxygen. Include a patch to change to IntakeAtm if CRP is installed, or Atmosphere if ClassicStock is installed.
  2. Conditionally define the Atmosphere resource in Buffalo2 ( :NEEDS[!ClassicStockResources] ). The whole resource pack's not installed? Declare just this.
  3. If you do code an electric motor then this plugin would need to define a virtual mass for the propellant and keep the amount from never changing. This path is easily how your anti-grav motor works but without bothering to track the CoM.

Burial at sea? Your coffins are way too expensive. :sticktongue:

I would like to understand this, so if someone could explain...  is Atmosphere resource required for the electric motor and props it swings as long as its at a planet with an atmosphere (Kerbin, Tekto, Eve)?  Or is it required for many of the other bits that are likely to be along for the ride?

I read the Atmosphere resource description in the CSR README, but comprehension is elusive.

6 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

*Fortunate Son starts playing*

I was thinking of “Name of the Game” by Crystal Method. You hear it in Tropic Thunder.

5 hours ago, Sudragon said:

No door gunner observer seat?

I figured the external command seat could serve that function.

7 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I would like to understand this, so if someone could explain...  is Atmosphere resource required for the electric motor and props it swings as long as its at a planet with an atmosphere (Kerbin, Tekto, Eve)?  Or is it required for many of the other bits that are likely to be along for the ride?

I read the Atmosphere resource description in the CSR README, but comprehension is elusive.

IntakeAir is typically defined as the breathab air surrounding Kerbin and Laythe. It has oxygen. KSP doesn’t have a comparable resource for planets like Duna or Eve, that have an atmosphere but not breathable air. The Atmosphere resource solves that problem. In order for electric tilt rotors to work, they would need Atmosphere. What I need to determine is if the stock part module that produces IntakeAir will also produce Atmosphere without requiring a resource distribution for every planet. If so, then that is half the problem of making electric tilt rotors work is solved.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

What I need to determine is if the stock part module that produces IntakeAir will also produce Atmosphere without requiring a resource distribution for every planet. If so, then that is half the problem of making electric tilt rotors work is solved.

It will. ModuleResourceIntake doesn't care about resource placement. It only cares whether Oxygen is enabled on a planet and the resource is defined. The key checkForOxygen = true is what tells the intake to only be usable on the likes of Kerbin and Laythe.

I would like to understand this, so if someone could explain...  is Atmosphere resource required for the electric motor and props -snip-

It is required. If you understand the use of CRP's IntakeAtm then you understand Classic Stock's Atmosphere. They're exactly the same except for the reason(s) that Classic Stock exists. If you spin a fan by hitting it with your hand or using a pedal system then when it produces wind that's the Atmosphere resource at work. Atmosphere as purely a working fluid: you still have (and feel) the mass flow through the fan but you're not generating that flow by combusting the Oxygen in it. You don't care if there is Oxygen, only that there is mass and pressure (for adequate thrust).

13 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It will. ModuleResourceIntake doesn't care about resource placement. It only cares whether Oxygen is enabled on a planet and the resource is defined. The key checkForOxygen = true is what tells the intake to only be usable on the likes of Kerbin and Laythe.

It is required. If you understand the use of CRP's IntakeAtm then you understand Classic Stock's Atmosphere. They're exactly the same except for the reason(s) that Classic Stock exists. If you spin a fan by hitting it with your hand or using a pedal system then when it produces wind that's the Atmosphere resource at work. Atmosphere as purely a working fluid: you still have (and feel) the mass flow through the fan but you're not generating that flow by combusting the Oxygen in it. You don't care if there is Oxygen, only that there is mass and pressure (for adequate thrust).

I feel like I'm missing something, but I'll think on it and thanks for the analogy.

Parachutes and propellers and electric rotors work on Duna and Eve, so my thought was that there must be an Atmosphere resource for those to act upon.

Parachutes and propellers and electric rotors work on Duna and Eve

Parachutes are not engines. They explicitly use high drag surface area to function, and they provide stopping force. They don't add to a craft's motion by any means. Robotic props and krakentech props use the relative and actual motion of control surface blades (separate parts) to produce lift. I haven't played enough with those to remember but I believe the plain servos merely consume ElectricCharge and have to be rigged with the KAL. The "rotor engines" I believe will consume LiquidFuel and IntakeAir and immediately respond to throttle, but both will produce spin torque which leads to lift force and don't care about mass flow.

None of these use an engine module and really "consume the ambient air" and produce thrust.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.