Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

You said it looked like a tram, I agree and I think I'll try to make a monorail out of it.

However, why not considering creating a passenger module with just, say, 8 seats? It would be better for railway stuff and transportation systems.

Great mod by the way, didn't know you made buffalo II before.

As I start in on v1.3: Back to Bases, I worked out how the Resource Support Unit parts would work. There will be 2 parts; a mid section, and an end section, with multiple variants. I've started working on the pieces themselves (texture work in progress):

erahiMg.png

The RSUs hold resources and are designed to be used in space or resting on the ground. They're styled after the service module on the MMSEV. Here's some context:

hp8qDmY.png

It'll take a couple of days to flesh this out fully, but the parts are off to a good start. The RSU mid-section will have a notch in the bottom for that new Buffalo Chassis Coupler (Chassis variant) to fit underneath. That'll let automated rovers get underneath and pick it up. I've got more design work to do, but the RSU is a major piece of the work for Buffalo 2 v1.3.

@Angel-125 I'm testing out Buffalo 2 1.2 and went to load up the "Buffalo Big Rig".  Looks like it is incompatible with KSP 1.12.2.  Also, The Choppah throws the same error.

In the pre-release, the Choppah loaded up just fine.

Yeah.. I know.  I should go ahead and upgrade to 1.12.3

2 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 I'm testing out Buffalo 2 1.2 and went to load up the "Buffalo Big Rig".  Looks like it is incompatible with KSP 1.12.2.  Also, The Choppah throws the same error.

In the pre-release, the Choppah loaded up just fine.

Yeah.. I know.  I should go ahead and upgrade to 1.12.3

Yup, Buffalo 2 requires KSP 1.12.3.

2 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Hrmm.  Ok.  Is that a hard or soft requirement?  I tweaked the craft file for version and it loaded fine.  Drives right nice.

I'd prefer people who use Buffalo 2 to be on 1.12.3 for consistency. Technically it'll work on 1.12.2, but since 1.12.3 is the last version of KSP and it's been out for months, I don't see much reason why people can't upgrade.

5 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I'd prefer people who use Buffalo 2 to be on 1.12.3 for consistency. Technically it'll work on 1.12.2, but since 1.12.3 is the last version of KSP and it's been out for months, I don't see much reason why people can't upgrade.

No argument on that.  I've just been lazy.

Today, in between personal tasks, I managed to unwrap the Resource Support Unit meshes and figured out the basic coloring:

mFM3TSL.png

There are 14 meshes! Given all the variants, I've decided to group them into Front, Back, and Middle sections. The Middle sections will have subvariants that include notches for docking ports.

Once these are done, I have a couple of extra parts to make out of the middle section meshes: a Power Support Unit (kind of like the Buffalo Power Chassis) and a Converter Support Unit (an Omniconverter if you have WildBlueTools installed). This will definitely take a few days...

12 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I would like to know more about the process of creating parts.  You talk of unwrapping meshes and such.  I've got no context.
Is there a primer that discusses the particulars?

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Making_an_asset_from_start_to_finish

Last thing I looked at today: making a drill for the Buffalo. This is the stock ISRU drill:

FgzgDrw.png

SWXT0mp.png

ONUvi9e.png

iGu4ZHP.png

The stock drill is too big for the rover, so I'm thinking that a 70% scale version would do the trick. Just clone the part, maybe retexture it, and done. I'm trying to get Buffalo 2 done by end of October (end of the year at the latest), and there just a huge amount of work still do do...

52 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

The company I work for is all about pandas.  I've grown to loathe them.

Me, A Florida man of Taiwanese/Chinese descent:
"Say that...again..."

I'm kidding, I actually don't care that much. I love pandas, but I'm guessing it's a cheesy mascot thing in your case, which makes it more understandable. I will only accept the real thing or photorealistic depictions of the real thing.

1 hour ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Panda
unknown.png

Ah, but can you fuel it using only bamboo and honey?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.