Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

On 1/17/2023 at 10:13 PM, stk2008 said:

Did you have any luck finding the errors?

I found a source of log spam in my case. Both SunkWorks and CRP add a resource IntakeLqd and having two resources with identical names always creates a lot of mess. Also CRP IntakeLqd is 5x less dense than SunkWorks one, it was the reason of dive and trim control incorrect behavior.

UPD: Nope. Still having ModuleIntake throwing NRE each FixedUpdate.

Edited by Manul

No idea why ModuleIntake is throwing exceptions while there is no ModuleIntake on these engines, but I found why Buffalo2 cargobays do not produce dragshielding. Also fixed dragcubes for cargobays when they are in the middle of a stack. Made a pull request on github

Guppy submarine became significantly faster with proper dragshielding :)

Edited by Manul

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Invader_guy said:

Mine are red too, not sure if the texture is taken from another wbi mod I don't have installed or something

A texture is requested in the file, but is missing. It isn't in another mod, it just isn't there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 4:41 PM, Calvin Kerman said:

A texture is requested in the file, but is missing. It isn't in another mod, it just isn't there.

I noticed this as well. What I did was go back and download an old version of Pathfinder that had the first version of Buffalo in it. I pulled the texture file for the original Mineshaft from there, renamed it, and dropped it in the correct location in the new version. It works fine.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:18 PM, Angelo Kerman said:

0O4RsEj.png

When you need extra facilities...

Gc2cIub.png

AcLDCP5.png

This is a great idea! You just snap the extra buffalos on and then keep going! Need a briefing room? BAM! Kerbal ate a bad potato? Medbay! 

Edited by Rutabaga22

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Has anyone made kerbalism configs for this. I've been working on some here and there but haven't gotten very far. There are some minor configs, but many things don't work right. Sickbay doesn't have a RDU, greenhouse isn't configured etc...

Also, not sure if this is just my install but the longer cargo bay shows 0 mass when it should be 0.5. I've been looking at the config and cannot figure out how it is so off.

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2023 at 2:58 PM, TheSaint said:

I noticed this as well. What I did was go back and download an old version of Pathfinder that had the first version of Buffalo in it. I pulled the texture file for the original Mineshaft from there, renamed it, and dropped it in the correct location in the new version. It works fine.

I reported the problem and provided your temporary fix. https://github.com/Angel-125/Buffalo2/issues/8

• 2 weeks later...

Buffalo 2 v 1.6.0 is now available:

New Parts
- B2 Workshop Module (Short): A half-sized version of the B2 Workshop Module.
- Support Unit Endcap: A Stilt Lift Module without the stilts.

Changes

- Increased the B2 Workshop Module's Sandcastle printing capacity to 800 liters.
- Added Superstructure part variant to the B2 Endcap.
- Fixed wrong node size on the Stilt Lift Module.
- Fixed AuXEN requiring Breaking Ground DLC.
- Fixed missing texture on the Mineshaft.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 5:30 PM, Ultim32 said:

@Angelo Kerman, are the fuel tank parts supposed to have switchable contents besides just ore? On my install, the only contents available for the fuel tanks is ore. Do I need a different mod installed to be able to switch the contents of the fuel tanks?

They should have Omni storage but only if you install Wild Blue Tools. I don't recall if I made B9PS configs for them as well.

@kurgut made an awesome Kerbal Subnautic Program video that features the Buffalo 2 sub parts and an amazing city, check it out!

Buffalo 2's IVAs were definitely inspired by Subnautica, and some of the parts were inspired by the Sea Truck as well. @kurgut I like the changes you made to the Guppy's IVA, are those available somewhere?

Once again, great video!

22 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

check it out!

Thanks for sharing ! Glad you liked it ! :) 

IVAs were definitely inspired by Subnautica

I could recognize the taste indeed :D 

I like the changes you made to the Guppy's IVA, are those available somewhere?

Thank you! No I didn't publish anything, also because of licensing we'd have to check, since I'm using props from user Vulkan (his MAS IVAs are released on the community tab of his YT channel), and don't about if he licensed his work or not/which...

I'm also using NF props and Habtech 2 props (just a few bits), and thus could be removed if you intend to include it in buffalo 2, and want to keep dependencies count low... Although NFprops adds quite a bit in decoration...

I'm out of home now until late august with a lot work, so I'll dig into that at this moment ! : )

Cheers!

15 hours ago, kurgut said:

I'm using props from user Vulkan (his MAS IVAs are released on the community tab of his YT channel)

Some of these props have been included into MAS repo with the last update.

probably a dumb question or request but have you ever thought of appending the version number to the end of the filename on github? Its always just Buffalo2. I add my own "...v1.6.0.zip" to the end but i was just wondering because i think it would help people to keep track of the newest version if it were there. If I remember correctly i think its the same with all your mods because i know i always add the version number to blueshift as well. On my ksp storage I keep every version of every mod Ive ever downloaded (i realize not veryone may do that) along with the source code also, but in the case of my keeping every version release it absolutely helps to have the version of the release on the filename. So I just wanted to suggest adding it. But thats up to you. I just wanted to give my absolutely worthless opinion on something nobody ever asked me about regarding a meticulous matter that means nothing in the end in reality so either way its all good. Good day sir. In the end I cant really complain of having to take an incredibly whopping maybe 1.5 seconds at the worst to type literally  5-10 characters when saving a file. First world problems. SMH at myself. This was probably a dumb post.

3 hours ago, Astra Infinitum said:

probably a dumb question or request but have you ever thought of appending the version number to the end of the filename on github? Its always just Buffalo2. I add my own "...v1.6.0.zip" to the end but i was just wondering because i think it would help people to keep track of the newest version if it were there. If I remember correctly i think its the same with all your mods because i know i always add the version number to blueshift as well. On my ksp storage I keep every version of every mod Ive ever downloaded (i realize not veryone may do that) along with the source code also, but in the case of my keeping every version release it absolutely helps to have the version of the release on the filename. So I just wanted to suggest adding it. But thats up to you. I just wanted to give my absolutely worthless opinion on something nobody ever asked me about regarding a meticulous matter that means nothing in the end in reality so either way its all good. Good day sir. In the end I cant really complain of having to take an incredibly whopping maybe 1.5 seconds at the worst to type literally  5-10 characters when saving a file. First world problems. SMH at myself. This was probably a dumb post.

No,_No._He's_Got_a_Point.jpg

7 hours ago, Astra Infinitum said:

probably a dumb question or request but have you ever thought of appending the version number to the end of the filename on github?

This is a good suggestion, but you could also just use ckan and have immediate access to all the versions of the mod and not have to worry about renaming or managing any files.

On 8/10/2023 at 3:54 AM, JonnyOThan said:

This is a good suggestion, but you could also just use ckan and have immediate access to all the versions of the mod and not have to worry about renaming or managing any files.

Also a good suggestion, but a lot of people don't use CKAN, and sometimes it's not practical to use CKAN.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this mod, but I'm having a weird issue with some of the parts in it, which appears to be a conflict with B9 Part Switch. The B2 Fuel Tank, B2 Logistics Module, B2 Docking Module, and B2 Storage Wedge, in particular, are affected; there may be others.

Specifically, if I place one in the VAB or the SPH and right-click to bring up the part menu, the only thing that shows up is the shape variant selector (e.g. tapered, station, etc); the rest of the window is missing (not just the controls, but the window frame including the part name, pin button, etc). The only way to get it to go away is to remove the part from the vehicle, and right-click stops working entirely to bring up menus at this point until you leave the VAB/SPH and re-enter.

Opening the debug log, the instant I right-click the part, the log fills up with InvalidCastException messages. The full stack trace is here but there's no obvious smoking gun: http://ix.io/4FEM

My current working theory is a problem with the ModuleResourceVariants, since it is common to all the misbehaving parts and absent from the ones I've tried that seem to work. Notably, right-clicking on these parts in the part picker to bring up the part detail view does not show any sort of resource storage in them, even though the description and the presence of that module implies that they are meant to have configurable resource storage.

Disabling B9 Part Switch causes the problem to go away, but that's not a good long-term solution since it's a prerequisite for Near Future to function correctly, and from looking at the Buffalo2/Patches directory it looks like B2 is meant to be compatible with B9PS. Leaving B9PS enabled, but disabling Cryo Tanks, also fixes it, so I suspect Cryo Tanks comes with a configuration that alters the behaviour of B9PS in a way that is not compatible with B2.

Buffalo2 1.6.0, WB Tools 1.89.2, WB Core 1.2.5, B9PartSwitch 2.20.0, KSP 1.12.5.

I think it would be reasonable to go "this is a bug in Cryo Tanks and it's on them to fix it", but in any case, a note in the OP that Cryo Tanks is incompatible with this mod would be appreciated.

Ok, here's another weird bug. This appears to affect anything that uses the Omni Storage module, so while I first noticed it with DSEV, it also affects Buffalo 2, Pathfinder, etc.

To reproduce it: add a part using Omni Storage, and configure the storage to hold some expensive resource. Xenon is a decent choice in stock. If you've got mods, stuff like uranium or karborundum works great. Fill it any amount (including 0), save the vehicle, then exit and re-enter the VAB.

At this point, what happens depends on how full you made the storage. If it was completely full, the ship has the same cost it did before you filled it, i.e. the resources are free. If it was completely empty, the ship is now steeply discounted, possibly to the point where it has negative cost. Furthermore, this problem persists even if you delete the part and replace it with a fresh one!

It looks like what happens is the ship loads into the VAB, it assumes the resources are full, but gives the part its base value, then it subtracts the cost of any missing resources -- rather than using the base cost and adding the cost of any resources that are contained in it. This is hard to notice with cheap resources like fuel or EC, but really, really obvious with expensive resources like karborundum.

26 minutes ago, ToxicFrog said:

Ok, here's another weird bug. This appears to affect anything that uses the Omni Storage module, so while I first noticed it with DSEV, it also affects Buffalo 2, Pathfinder, etc.

To reproduce it: add a part using Omni Storage, and configure the storage to hold some expensive resource. Xenon is a decent choice in stock. If you've got mods, stuff like uranium or karborundum works great. Fill it any amount (including 0), save the vehicle, then exit and re-enter the VAB.

At this point, what happens depends on how full you made the storage. If it was completely full, the ship has the same cost it did before you filled it, i.e. the resources are free. If it was completely empty, the ship is now steeply discounted, possibly to the point where it has negative cost. Furthermore, this problem persists even if you delete the part and replace it with a fresh one!

It looks like what happens is the ship loads into the VAB, it assumes the resources are full, but gives the part its base value, then it subtracts the cost of any missing resources -- rather than using the base cost and adding the cost of any resources that are contained in it. This is hard to notice with cheap resources like fuel or EC, but really, really obvious with expensive resources like karborundum.

I’m pretty sure KSP community fixes will fix this if you have it.