Jump to content

Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle


Angel-125
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Not actually sure how to set up a poll. I'll look into it. Meanwhile, I finished modeling the ladder and have some basic texturing:

gn67FUz.png

Even if you don't know how to use the forum polls, take a look at Google Forms.

Oh, and what do you think of a ramp or stairs? No ladder weirdness at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, chaos113 said:

will buffalo 2 have a version of the atv seat

I wasn't planning on adding the ATV seat from the original Buffalo, or the wings & tilt-rotors. I found that they weren't being used much compared to the rest of the rover parts, and other mods like Airplane Plus have a wider selection of parts. In lieu of the airplane parts I'm adding more dedicated submarine parts than the ones that felt tacked-on in Buffalo 1, and am considering Puddle Jumper parts to make craft similar to their namesake from Stargate Atlantis. The Puddle Jumper set would leverage the work I've done for Kerbal Flying Saucers.

3 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Even if you don't know how to use the forum polls, take a look at Google Forms.

Oh, and what do you think of a ramp or stairs? No ladder weirdness at all.

I originally looked at a ramp or stairs but couldn't come with a design that I liked that would also fit in the available space. The ladder ended up as the best choice given the conditions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Angel-125 said:

Today I was able to texture the platform and ladder as well as the doors. I also added in the flag transform:

Oh, cool.

But a question... What's a

Just now, Angel-125 said:

flag transform

Inquiring minds want to know...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, adsii1970 said:

Oh, cool.

But a question... What's a

Inquiring minds want to know...

The image of the buffalo with the number 2 is a decal (a.k.a flag transform). You can change to to another flag if desired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd say the MSEV command pod exterior turned out well:

GWOhThB.png

3qvR4hO.png

I think the most expedient route on the ladders is to go with Option 2. I can always add Option 1 later if need be.

Next up is the IVA, then the cupola variant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I'd say the MSEV command pod exterior turned out well:

GWOhThB.png

3qvR4hO.png

I think the most expedient route on the ladders is to go with Option 2. I can always add Option 1 later if need be.

Next up is the IVA, then the cupola variant.

just wondering if the cupola variant is going to be the station version or if the rover design (above) can be used in the station variant?

looking great tho!

Edited by planeticegaming
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, planeticegaming said:

just wondering if the cupola variant is going to be the station version or if the rover design (above) can be used in the station variant?

looking great tho!

Nearly all of the body modules have variants for rover, station, and superstructure, but the command pod is different. It has no built-in station or superstructure variants. Instead, it will have nose section variants for the MSEV (shown previously), Cupola, and potentially others. One reason for that is that the variants list could potentially balloon out for every nose variant. With just two variants- MSEV and Cupola, you could potentially have to sort through one station and one superstructure version of each nose variant. That's asking for too much, but there's already a solution: Storage Wedges. Like all other short-length body modules, the command pod has upper and lower attachment nodes for a variety of parts.

Below is the command pod, shown  here in its no-ladders variant. The nose section is everything in the tapered area where the front windows are.

6mN0xLc.png

With upper and lower storage wedges, you can turn it into a station part:

ghmjxCe.png

But, doesn't that look a little out of place? Wouldn't it be nice if the front of the wedge had a nice slope to it? Well, it does!

P2DUrqs.png

So, yeah, the Cupola nose variant will be shaped to fit the rover body, just as the MSEV nose pictured above is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

 

P2DUrqs.png

So, yeah, the Cupola nose variant will be shaped to fit the rover body, just as the MSEV nose pictured above is.

completely understandable that every version wont have the other size configs, got to say the MSEV nose with the sloped wedge looks really nice and i could see having that as the front of a large rover!

Edited by planeticegaming
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made some more progress today: I got the IVA into the game, borrowed some monitors from my Mk33 mod, and with @adsii1970's help, I placed them in the IVA. I think I captured the essence of that NASA photo while giving the IVA that kerbal touch. I'm still not done yet but it's definitely getting there! I'm also happy that Buffalo 2 is shaping up to be much nicer that the original. Here's a look:

9Rmq8PV.png

lqFfBi8.png

tvcQXuH.png

And from the outside looking in. NOTE: I don't have the IVA mask done yet...

sJN9dhY.png

Done for tonight but I'll leave you with this:

ux8tiBG.png

W8KcPKU.png

HQuetTo.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I made some more progress today: I got the IVA into the game, borrowed some monitors from my Mk33 mod, and with @adsii1970's help, I placed them in the IVA. I think I captured the essence of that NASA photo while giving the IVA that kerbal touch. I'm still not done yet but it's definitely getting there! I'm also happy that Buffalo 2 is shaping up to be much nicer that the original. Here's a look:

9Rmq8PV.png

lqFfBi8.png

tvcQXuH.png

And from the outside looking in. NOTE: I don't have the IVA mask done yet...

sJN9dhY.png

Done for tonight but I'll leave you with this:

ux8tiBG.png

W8KcPKU.png

HQuetTo.png

i prefer the configurable screens, could you make a config for it to use them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, planeticegaming said:

do u mean rasterpropmonitors or ASET?

 

1 hour ago, chaos113 said:

i prefer the configurable screens, could you make a config for it to use them

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I have been repeatedly mentioning that Buffalo 2 will use MOARdV’s Avionics Systems. Those screens are there for those who don’t use MAS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I finished up the IVA masks and props for the stock/Near Future Props IVA:

npODxDt.png

HDdZJ5A.png

5LNChNT.png

E019OLd.png

I also have the MAS IVA done:

5mP5TQQ.png

JcxpQtk.png

cBXQNaf.png

i0UnO6M.png

MAS needs a bug fix (pull request is pending...) so I'll wait to release an update until it's done. Buffalo 2 will automatically detect if you have MAS installed or not, and update its IVA accordingly. I have a few items to finish up but once they're done I'll start in on the Observer and Cupola variants.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Road trip:

aJGW8AH.png

 

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Today I finished up the IVA masks and props for the stock/Near Future Props IVA:

npODxDt.png

HDdZJ5A.png

5LNChNT.png

E019OLd.png

I also have the MAS IVA done:

5mP5TQQ.png

JcxpQtk.png

cBXQNaf.png

i0UnO6M.png

MAS needs a bug fix (pull request is pending...) so I'll wait to release an update until it's done. Buffalo 2 will automatically detect if you have MAS installed or not, and update its IVA accordingly. I have a few items to finish up but once they're done I'll start in on the Observer and Cupola variants.

 

Is there any chance, you are going to update all your mods to use MAS for Ivas? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, rettter3 said:

 

Is there any chance, you are going to update all your mods to use MAS for Ivas? 

Unfortunately, no, unless someone volunteers to do so. My time is limited and I want to retire from modding KSP 1 once Buffalo 2 is finished.

 

3 hours ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

Is there a core mod that has all the wild blue mods bundled in it?

No,  but you can find them here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Today I made some great progress on the Observer part variant:

DcIQD72.png

GmxHBfa.png

The IVA mask needs some work but it's getting there. :)

could we get the observer as its own part with outward facing windows as well

outward facing seats i mean 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, chaos113 said:

could we get the observer as its own part with outward facing windows as well

outward facing seats i mean 

Yup, that's definitely part of the plan. :) I have a standard-length Observation Module planned for exactly that purpose:

Y0fTeRN.png

The short-length version is already slated as the Aquarium Module.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Yup, that's definitely part of the plan. :) I have a standard-length Observation Module planned for exactly that purpose:

Y0fTeRN.png

The short-length version is already slated as the Aquarium Module.

i think there should be an option for the windows to be floor to ceiling 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...