Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

You understand meetings then. :)

I sat in a meeting this morning and had a manager say, totally unironically, "Part of the software rollout is how we roll out the software."

So, yeah, I get this part.

Today's update: The B2 Laboratory Module. It's a miniaturized version of the stock Mobile Processing Lab MP-LG-2, meaning that it has the same functionality. The downside is that it doesn't hold as much data, and it costs twice as much. Here's a preview:

65P5Mw5.png

ZfAWznb.png

dNiijH9.png

uTBbCUu.png

I have another lab in the works as well, but it isn't done yet...

Although you say B2 can be a station, I'm wondering how artificial gravity will work... How do you fit a centrifuge into that?

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

You understand meetings then. :)

No, I don't.

Edited by SkyFall2489

Bonus update: B2 Geology Module. The Geology Module is only available if you have Wild Blue Tools installed since it needs several part modules from that plugin. It can research biomes and unlock them, and show the resources that a biome has, just like the stock Surface Scanning Module. Additionally, you can take core samples every few kilometers within a biome for Science, and it provides access to the stock KerbNet. Finally, with Pathfinder installed, the module can go prospecting for caches of valuable resources. Here's a preview:

eB8Bwpn.png

gZs7msw.png

iEpNSPz.png

itLvSdF.png

2 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Although you say B2 can be a station, I'm wondering how artificial gravity will work... How do you fit a centrifuge into that?

Not sure what you mean by a centrifuge. When I think of using these parts to build a space station, I think of something like this:

JNGc3tc.png

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Not sure what you mean by a centrifuge. When I think of using these parts to build a space station, I think of something like this:

he means how will gravity work artificial gravity work on the parts since the parts are meant for rovers so people are standing up but there in orbit

Last of the "generic" modules is the B2 Workshop Module. This double-length module provides space for a Sandcastle 3D printer (if you have Sandcastle installed), a place to make Rocket Parts (if you have Extraplanetary Launchpads installed), and 4 omni converters (if you have Wild Blue Tools installed). Here's a preview:

a8NqIRY.png

v1lOO3L.png

MNjeqiF.png

l5J3Pez.png

At this point, things will slow down a bit as I make the unique parts like the docking node, aft airlock, and of course the Buffalo command pod. I'm aiming for a pre-release alpha in about a month or so depending upon how quickly I can make things and how bad work gets.

21 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Things like the rings from this mod. They spin and provide artificial gravity.

Say, what about graviolium based artificial gravity?

On 3/24/2022 at 7:38 PM, SkyFall2489 said:

Angel's DSEV mod has two centrifuges in it. It's likely that they'll fit (they're likely built for 1.875m). Otherwise, look at the ISS. There's no artificial gravity there.

5 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Proper gravity (real or artificial) has an acceleration component. Anything that even begins to sound realistic (unlike soft sci-fi handwaved gravity, such as Star Trek) will involve either of these:

• The vessel is entirely a centrifuge, such as the Avalon ISV.
  • The vessel is constantly accelerating somehow, such as anything in the Expanse.
  • The vessel contains a black hole...which will cause all sorts of logical problems, moreso when n-Body is involved.

Mass Effect is as much soft sci-fi as anything so we really could say the station has gravitic floor plates like in Star Trek and call it a day.

To anyone suggesting mag boots and velcrow I say this: These things are only tethers. They do not provide gravity.

55 minutes ago, planeticegaming said:

part idea: a section of the chassis that has a hole cut into it that a 2.5m or 1.8 m part can sit into on its side like a fuel tank or a hitchhiker module, etc

Buffalo 2's parts themselves are 1.875m. This can't be done.

On 3/24/2022 at 10:16 PM, Angel-125 said:

JNGc3tc.png

This station. Dude. It looks so good.

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:
14 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Proper gravity (real or artificial) has an acceleration component. Anything that even begins to sound realistic (unlike soft sci-fi handwaved gravity, such as Star Trek) will involve either of these:

@Angel-125 already has a warp drive mod, and a flying saucer mod. The saucer mods has some gravitic drive that, according to the description, manipulates gravity, causing the ship to fall in the direction of travel. If this is possible, at least in WBI, I'd say these kerbals can also make arti-grav.

@ColdJ

Edited by SkyFall2489

Today's update brings two new parts to the Buffalo 2 mod: the B2 Docking Module (Short), and the B2 Rover Port. The B2 Docking Module (Short) is a half-sized module that has two side mounting points for the B2 Rover Port. The Rover Port is slimmed down to fit the side mounting points but it is compatible with the stock Clamp-O-Tron docking port standard. The B2 Docking Module has a bit of storage available, and if you have Wild Blue Tools installed, then it has omni storage as well as a single omni converter. Here's a preview:

U5HityO.png

92cgE4x.png

sL6iJwb.png

envDwWT.png

(I fixed the clearance between the two vehicles after this image was taken.)

Suggestion: Inline command center - for station and base control, or just an inline rover cockpit.

Another idea I had was a truss module, like in DSEV. It could hold a fuel tank with switchable fuel types, a crew tube, be empty, or hold an ISRU like in the original buffalo.

Hey, if I'm not too late, I want to suggest orienting petals on the docking port in another way, by rotating them 90°. In such a configuration two docking ports, rotated face to face, but oriented the same way vertically, would have their petals in between each other.

Look at NESD's KDSS for a nice example:

WXQ94dt.png

The top sides of docking ports have blue arrows, and the petals are oriented in such a way that those arrows can be aligned, with petals interlocking.

It's not really THAT crucial, but adds a little bit of visual immersion.

I will understand if my suggestion came too late!

Edited by nothingSpecial
Damn, how many typos can I make in one post!

@nothingSpecial Thanks for the suggestion :)

On 3/26/2022 at 7:27 PM, SkyFall2489 said:

Suggestion: Inline command center - for station and base control, or just an inline rover cockpit.

Another idea I had was a truss module, like in DSEV. It could hold a fuel tank with switchable fuel types, a crew tube, be empty, or hold an ISRU like in the original buffalo.

I'll take a look, thanks :) Right now I just have the rover cockpit and submarine cockpit planned, but I could look at an inline command module similar to DSEV's Danube Delta.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:13 PM, Angel-125 said:

@nothingSpecial Thanks for the suggestion :)

I'll take a look, thanks :) Right now I just have the rover cockpit and submarine cockpit planned, but I could look at an inline command module similar to DSEV's Danube Delta.

What do you think about the truss?

On 4/1/2022 at 4:53 PM, SkyFall2489 said:

What do you think about the truss?

Thank you for the suggestion. :) Ideally for me, I finish Buffalo 2 by the summer so that I can take an extended break from modding- at least until KSP 2 arrives. At the present time, I have a set list of parts that I'd like to make for Buffalo 2, and once done, I can look at extras.

To that end, today's update has a couple of parts that are nearly done: rooftop solar panels. There is one for full-length parts and one for half-length parts. Here's the full-length:

rAHud0L.png

9DQfZ6e.png

xTnkG2Z.png

uUMMDCj.png

The OX-STAT-B2L has the same mass as the stock OX-STAT-XL panel and the same charge rate, but it is slightly longer and narrower than the stock panel- mostly to avoid covering up the rooftop windows. The OX-STAT-B2S has half the mass, cost, and charge rate.

And bonus images showing where I'm headed next:

Hte9Gqa.png

q2QQFFr.png

A couple of extra screenshots showing some differences between the old Buffalo and Buffalo 2:

Aside from the obvious texture improvements since Buffalo was done in 2015, here you can see that the length of a module is just about the same, with Buffalo 1 being slightly shorter.

pE8Yzyz.png

And here's a top view showing the difference in width. B2 is slightly wider, but not by much. And even with the docking ports, it'll still fit in a Mk3 cargo bay.

5s7kTz3.png