Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

19 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Just wondering: Will there be a stand to place under the modules if we wanted to use them for a surface base? Something that will lift them up to the same height as the rovers?

Yup! I have two parts planned: a Power Support Unit and a Resource Support Unit, with different variants available. They're roughly the height of two chassis units- though that might change if it looks nicer to use the body parts as bases while in Station mode instead of in Rover mode. Or there will be variants to support both modes... I also have a Stilt Lift Unit planned that connects to the PSU/RSU that'll raise up the assembly so that you can roll a chassis-based automated rover underneath.

Anyway, today, I started the design work on the B2 Airlock Module. It seats a single kerbal, it holds a bit of storage, and with Wild Blue Tools installed, it has a single Omni Converter. This is very much a work in progress, but here's a preview:

mPbSo0Y.png

uDLBptu.png

5fAcBNU.png

I also realized that the small walkway would make a nice "back porch" for other modules, so I made a separate part for that (also WIP):

nsZB5CE.png

e0Is1CI.png

hHz65E3.png

Finally, I have the start of a tailgate concept whose variants will work with the airlock/back porch/exploration module/cargo bays/etc and provides a ramp into the back:

JWRujic.png

7QpMBOu.png

23 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Yup! I have two parts planned: a Power Support Unit and a Resource Support Unit, with different variants available.

It would be great to have more base mounts. Currently, if you don't want your base to slide, you slap launchclamps on it, which are very ugly... A new set of ground fasteners for large bases would be great!

I'm definitely adding this to my save after release.

15 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

It would be great to have more base mounts. Currently, if you don't want your base to slide, you slap launchclamps on it, which are very ugly... A new set of ground fasteners for large bases would be great!

I'm definitely adding this to my save after release.

Hm, maybe a combination ground anchor and docking port?

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I also realized that the small walkway would make a nice "back porch" for other modules, so I made a separate part for that (also WIP):

nsZB5CE.png

Idea: Variant without the roof and one that is like a tub like the back of a ute/Pickup so we can make cool looking pickups/utes and a ramp that fits with it so we can have something like the tesla cybertruck Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-with-Ex

3 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

A new set of ground fasteners for large bases would be great!

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Drop the BASS? ;)Totally not a side of fish to go with all these new Buffalo wings?

Spoiler

Boxed Anchored Structural Staple? ...That's something I intend to do for myself, actually. If I get around to the project that contains it.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

19 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

More ground anchors, especially bigger ones, would be great!

Maybe something for another mod tho.

15 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Drop the BASS? ;)Totally not a side of fish to go with all these new Buffalo wings?

Hide contents

Boxed Anchored Structural Staple? ...That's something I intend to do for myself, actually. If I get around to the project that contains it.

Which mod exactly?

Edited by SkyFall2489

On 4/7/2022 at 3:39 PM, planeticegaming said:

Idea: Variant without the roof and one that is like a tub like the back of a ute/Pickup so we can make cool looking pickups/utes and a ramp that fits with it so we can have something like the tesla cybertruck Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-with-Ex

This do?

Today I built the B2 Exploration Module. It combines the docking module and airlock module into one part. It's roughly equal to the older Buffalo Crew Cabin. If you don't have Wild Blue Tools installed, then it becomes a mini mobile processing lab. With Wild Blue Tools, it instead becomes a geology lab that's capable of unlocking biomes, displaying the local resources, and performing biome experiments. Here's a preview:

rtCarmc.png

As installed on my prototype rover. As you can see, I'm getting closer to making the command cab.

aBuTtzS.png

One thing I'm not certain of: the submarine yellow texture for the body parts. At this point my prototype texture is out of date, and many parts that Buffalo 2 is compatible with don't have a yellow texture as well. I might drop that feature in the interest of time. It's taken me 3 months of nights and weekends to get to this point, and I was hoping to be done by now, but at least I can see the basic rover ready to go on the horizon. :)

Ever wanted to do this in KSP:

dn28238-2_800.jpg?width=1200&enable=upsc

With today's update, if you have the Breaking Ground DLC, now you can! The new Power Converter will covert Power Units from Breaking Ground power generators into Electric Charge. Here's a preview:

mm2Pvt3.png

XbY0iow.png

But that's not all. You can also power your ground science parts using the Power Converter:

vx8DYAZ.png

j74jMGW.png

Great idea! It's always bothered me that the BG science used a different type of electricity than everything else. I think they really missed an opportunity when arranged things as they did.

edit: and great model with the radiator fins an all.

Edited by wasml

On 4/19/2022 at 9:17 PM, wasml said:

I think they really missed an opportunity when arranged things as they did.

Maybe...... Also maybe it was wiser to not involve the affected parts with the stock resource system.

A mod that consists of parts like the DLC deployed science, and a logistics plugin for short range wireless EC transmission can perform just as well as this (and has existed: CobaltWolf's abandoned Surface Experiment Package), however, it relied on KAS for connecting the devices to circulate power.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.