Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

Late night update: Bob and Valentina are testing out the prototype B2 Sickbay Module:

eQ0OWeT.png

Since I can't make kerbals lay down, I took a page from an old original Star Trek episode, and have them seated on their backs.

The module seats 4, and of course it makes use of seat rotation and seat changing. I've set up the space to have several lab props, but they're not installed yet. I need to finish the bioseats first.

mIyfjJ0.png

And a look at the exterior:

XkxCdyj.png

3 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Will you add a cryo module? I feel that it could be a cool addition to a large rover. Maybe make it so kerbals don't consume snacks while in cryo.

Also,  why can't kerbals lay down?

KSP doesn't have an animation to lay a kerbal down. The designers never considered such a possibility. At the moment I don't have plans to add a B2 cryo module; DeepFreeze already has parts that are radially attached, 1.25m, and 2.5m.

While I continue to procrastinate on finishing the B2 Command Pod due to its difficulty, but that won't last much longer. Today I gave a few parts in Deep Space Exploration Vessels a window sculpting and a small texture update to give them a "thermal blanket" look. Given how old their IVAs are, I'm going to redo them completely (though the command pod IVAs will just get a texture update). These "D2 Refit" parts are kind of like Restock; when you use them, they'll replace the interior and exterior 3D models without forcing you to redo your vessels. Since I want to leverage what I did in Buffalo 2, the "D2 Refit" parts won't appear unless you have Buffalo 2 installed.

Anyway, here you can see the refit D2 parts alongside the Buffalo 2 parts. I've made sure that the refit windows have the same style as the B2 parts. And you may notice that the Station variant of the B2 parts now have a similar thermal blanket texture so these two part sets will go well together.

PMAooFd.png

While I'm at it, I took advantage of the new designs to make some half-sized (1.25m tall instead of the normal 2.5m tall) modules. These are my prototype D2 Stateroom and D2 Sickbay modules:

ND0TPzS.png

On 8/6/2022 at 7:40 PM, TheSaint said:

Is Pathfinder going to get some lovin' as well?

On 8/6/2022 at 10:48 PM, planeticegaming said:

i really hope Pathfinder gets an update and some new parts

At this point in time, no. Pathfinder is a huge mod and is my first significant mod. I'd have to redesign the parts and my plans are to be done with modding KSP 1 by end of the year. As it is, I'm only doing small updates to DSEV, and I'm not touching MOLE either.

Speaking of small updates, I did some more work on the D2 IVAs:

p31KaPh.jpg

On the left are the wooden floors for the Stateroom, and on the right are the standard floors for the other modules. Both have ladders connecting the two floors. D2 modules are slightly upscale compared to their B2 counterparts; they have wood trim. Anyway, I'm hoping to have the basic layouts done by the end of the week so I can finish up the Buffalo 2 command pod and officially release Phase 1.

14 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

At this point in time, no. Pathfinder is a huge mod and is my first significant mod. I'd have to redesign the parts and my plans are to be done with modding KSP 1 by end of the year. As it is, I'm only doing small updates to DSEV, and I'm not touching MOLE either.

Ah well. My expeditions will be using slightly out-of-date equipment. C'est la vie. :)

Small update for tonight:

RkQAjL7.png

I've figured out the general layout of the D2 Habitat Module's upper floor. Unlike the current design, this new design has 4 individual rooms, and they'll be outfitted with beds, a desk, and so on. The bottom level will have the bathroom, galley, a common meeting area, and a small exercise area.

This has real possibilty for my storyline.  I was playing with "someone" having fallen down and not being able to get up, but didn't have anywhere to go with it.

So, sickbay will be a 1.25m part then?  That will work.  This will add nice dimension to build-out of my various Orbital Stations and for the push to Nova Kirbani and beyond.  I definitely see a medical ship in the future too.

Bottles of "Kerpocet" or maybe "Oxymoron" or "Kramadol" pain meds would be a fun touch

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

This has real possibilty for my storyline.  I was playing with "someone" having fallen down and not being able to get up, but didn't have anywhere to go with it.

So, sickbay will be a 1.25m part then?  That will work.  This will add nice dimension to build-out of my various Orbital Stations and for the push to Nova Kirbani and beyond.  I definitely see a medical ship in the future too.

Bottles of "Kerpocet" or maybe "Oxymoron" or "Kramadol" pain meds would be a fun touch

What about "Tylonol"?

7 hours ago, chaos113 said:

so is this mod ment to match with restock or could it be 

Buffalo 2 is meant to look reasonably well when used with Restock. DSEV as well.

12 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 Is your plan for the sickbay and stateroom to leave them as 1.25m parts only?  Or will there perhaps be 2.5m versions?

Jeb has seen the sickbay module and an idea is being formulated.

Yes, 1.25m only.

7 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Okay then.  How to make it purdy - or do I stick with function over form and go with my usual where things look like they were carved with an axe by a drunken orc.

step 1 in making good looking stuff: copy someone else for the general structure

step 2: add in little details and tank your framerate to -10 

step 3: now it looks like it was carved with an axe by a NON-DRUNKEN orc. Way better!

20 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Okay then.  How to make it purdy - or do I stick with function over form and go with my usual where things look like they were carved with an axe by a drunken orc.

You could always stack two of the sickbays for twice the fun...

Today I got just about all of the D2 Hab Revit IVA modeled and textured:

wgpkFpN.png

Here you can see the layout of the seating (the seats up next to the sofas won't be there in the final model). I decided that the hab needed the wood floor that was originally going to be a Stateroom exclusive. As a nod to the original DSEV IVA, I took some of the tables and light fixtures from the original IVA and updated their textures. Using Buffalo 2's Seat Switcher, you'll be able to move kerbals around. And the new half-sized hide-a-bed will fold out as well. I'm also in the process of creating a 3D library for DSEV's D2 IVAs just in case I want to build more someday...

Here you can see the state of the texture art circa 2017 on the right, compared to 2022 on the left:

v5ajbpA.jpg

The new IVA will look a lot better once I fill it with Near Future Props.

17 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

step 1 in making good looking stuff: copy someone else for the general structure

step 2: add in little details and tank your framerate to -10 

step 3: now it looks like it was carved with an axe by a NON-DRUNKEN orc. Way better!

What an awesome plan!  I found a 2000 part craft and added more.  Slideshow!!!

21 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

You could always stack two of the sickbays for twice the fun...

Twice the sickness!
My issue is getting it to work with 2.5m parts - revolving around the need to use the clamp-o-tron docking port.  I suppose the 2.5m shroud is an option.

4 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

What an awesome plan!  I found a 2000 part craft and added more.  Slideshow!!!

Seriously, that's how a lot of my ships come together. For the inspiration, you just need a general shape - it doesn't have to already be in KSP.  That's how you make replicas. 

Except, as a MacBook user, I have a 300 part slideshow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.