Jump to content

WIP: Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle


Angel-125
 Share

Recommended Posts

D2 Briefing Room Module. Left: 2022 version, right: 2017 version.

T1uMqnA.png

For the Refit version, it seats up to 22 kerbals; 10 in the upstairs "boardroom" and 12 in the downstairs "ready room." Because of the LEGO approach that I took with the 3D models (I learned that while working on Buffalo 2), the Briefing Room came together much faster than the habitat module.

GgBXQLd.png

GXU1OB0.png

JBDN39t.png

P9H1WoD.png

And a slight update to the D2 Habitat Module Refit IVA. They're playing dominoes with monolith-shaped blocks:

noEVvg6.png

I'm on track to finishing up the DSEV D2 Refit by mid next week at the latest, then it's back to finishing up the Bufffalo 2 Command Module-and Phase 1. Then it's on to Buffalo 2's Phase 2...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

D2 Science Module. Left: 2022, right: 2017.

ETuFKbO.png

All the seats rotate, and you can switch seats if desired.

Top Level: management, astronomy, general science:

Dx15LA8.png

Z0OzdBX.png

Lower level: geology, physics, computer science, botany:

lPvVgRF.png

m36PWbY.png

41sUfNm.png

pESSNwt.pngC0zYBxz.png

And yes, a few of the Buffalo 2 IVAs have ice cream cartons in them too. I had to redo them due to some issues with the props.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Angel-125 I've integrated Buffalo-2 in with a test game and have a couple questions and observations

- Q: does the Buffalo 1 mod need to be left installed?  Or should it be removed?

- Q: It appears that all the module parts are 1.875m radial size for the station version.  Is this correct?

- O: B2 Docking Module.  It lacks crew capacity and so can't be used as an EVA point.  With crew capacity, it would make a right useful airlock.  The B2 Exploration Module can fill the docking/airlock role - at the expense of a little more size though.  Just a thought.  Know you're pretty full up.

I had originally thought that many of these parts could replace the PPD-10 Hitchhiker Storage Container (and others) in a space station  but have now made the obvious connection that these parts are intended for ground rovers/stations.  Still, it's right doable and the parts of the Orbital Station are now scattered all over the floor of the VAB now.  Much measure twice, cut once, curse, go buy more material, repeat.

In the below picture... where are the endcaps you used on the ends of the modules to attach the docking ports?  And is there something that would go 1.875m to 2.5m?
EDIT:  I had looked and looked and then asked... and then found it.  FL-A151S

Spoiler

JNGc3tc.png

 

Edited by Ooglak Kerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 I've integrated Buffalo-2 in with a test game and have a couple questions and observations

- Q: does the Buffalo 1 mod need to be left installed?  Or should it be removed?

- Q: It appears that all the module parts are 1.875m radial size for the station version.  Is this correct?

- O: B2 Docking Module.  It lacks crew capacity and so can't be used as an EVA point.  With crew capacity, it would make a right useful airlock.  The B2 Exploration Module can fill the docking/airlock role - at the expense of a little more size though.  Just a thought.  Know you're pretty full up.

I had originally thought that many of these parts could replace the PPD-10 Hitchhiker Storage Container (and others) in a space station  but have now made the obvious connection that these parts are intended for ground rovers/stations.  Still, it's right doable and the parts of the Orbital Station are now scattered all over the floor of the VAB now.  Much measure twice, cut once, curse, go buy more material, repeat.

In the below picture... where are the endcaps you used on the ends of the modules to attach the docking ports?

  Reveal hidden contents

JNGc3tc.png

 

- A: Buffalo 2 is intended to replace Buffalo 1. You'll want to uninstall the original given that Buffalo 2 is far superior in art quality. About the only thing that might carryover are the wings and tilt-rotors, but even those are old and need to be redone. Currently I don't have plans to do so though.

- A: That's correct. The body parts are all 1.875m (Size 1.5)- the same diameter as my old MOLE mod, though slightly shorter to fit standard lengths. I found that 1.875m was just right for remaking the rover body, and the parts could double as station, submarine, and/or base parts as well. In some ways Buffalo 2 is a soft-replacement of MOLE...

- A: Thanks for the feedback, I might be able to make that happen with my "LEGO" 3D meshes.

- A: Those endcaps are from DSEV. They're the S1-18 Adapter in DSEV White. I plan on having an updated version in Buffalo 2 with textures that match the new Station variant of the body parts.

For those who are wondering, I don't have plans to make 2.5m parts- DSEV already has some.

D2 Greenhouse Module. Left: 2022, right: 2017.

1bgQ1kl.png

Pretty similar to the original, but there are rollers on the bottom of the shelves. And the shelves rotate slowly over time, sushi boat style.

8rCYdee.png

Fy1IMqu.png

cK95ohR.png

At this point I have what I need to make the new Stateroom and Sickbay. Then it's onto the D2 command pods. Those won't get a full rework due to their complexity, but they'll get a texture update.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a little confused with the nomenclature.  D2 parts I guess are DSEV.  And after rummaging around, I found the DSEV repo.  So, this will be a separate mod from Buffalo2 or will this be rolled into B2?

I've been rebuilding my orbital station around B2 parts and it looks like I need to wait for the D2 parts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ooglak Kerman said:

I'm a little confused with the nomenclature.  D2 parts I guess are DSEV.  And after rummaging around, I found the DSEV repo.  So, this will be a separate mod from Buffalo2 or will this be rolled into B2?

I've been rebuilding my orbital station around B2 parts and it looks like I need to wait for the D2 parts.

D2 are definitely parts for DSEV. The "Refit" parts will be part of DSEV and will automatically show up when you have Buffalo 2 installed. Existing craft won't be affected; like Restock, you'll just suddenly have nicer looking parts with all-new IVAs. Kerbals currently sitting in the parts won't be affected- aside from sitting in new positions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Just checking, will there be a B2 Fuel Tank in phase 1? like just a LFO fuel tank switchable with WBT or B9ps.

Kind of, there are two logistics modules available that can store resources.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well now.  Big!  So, most of the D2 parts (greenhouse, hab, etc) are 3.75m radial size and their B2 counterparts are 1.875m radial size?  Somehow I had gotten wrapped around 2.5m radial size.

DSEV is such an excellent complement to Blueshift.  So many things to play with.   I wish I would have found this sooner.

I've just about finished the re-re-build of the Orbital Station.  The poor Kerbals stuck on the already outdated Dres Orbital Station will not be happy with their lot.  I expect that the legal department of Jebs Enterprises will have something to say also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

You know that you're getting first rate care because of the boxes and displays with lines and graphs and blinking lights and colored numbers.

You know, research has proven that using lines and graphs and blinking lights has a direct and noticeable effect on patient health. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

D2 Stateroom Module:

IYng5RA.png

bHO9dQM.png

eYj50fP.png

rX4y8hU.png

iUj2tXF.png

WJzfbj0.png

aavqr7N.png

3FQuKFh.png

Before I dive into retexturing the Clydesdale and Danube Delta command pods, I need to build a Red Alert prop (and alert buttons) and update the IVAs, but once that's done I'll be in the home stretch for completing the DSEV D2 Refit. Then it's back to Buffalo 2...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I created the alert system light and buttons. This is more for fun than anything. Anyway, when you tap on the red, yellow, or blue alert buttons, the alert light will flash, and a sound effect will be played. Due to copyright issues I can't use any Star Trek alert sounds so I picked some public domain ones. What's cool is that when you tap on an alert button, any other existing alert will get canceled, and the alert panels throughout the ship will flash. Here's a look:

7CA81QK.png

Blue Alert is different than the rest in that the cockpit lights will turn blue.

kjGoERl.png

Yellow Alert:

knxcNNJ.png

Red Alert!

XGJU9h5.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Berthing space on the Clydesdale would be pretty cool.  Traditionally, the Captains stateroom is immediately adjacent to the bridge.
It looks like you have sections of the command bridge isolated from one another.   From a command perspective, it is important that all of the bridge team be directly adjacent.  Communication is important.

Re: the D2 Habitat module and the D2 Stateroom Module.  Will they retain the same berthing capacity as before? 

Edited by Ooglak Kerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ooglak Kerman said:

Berthing space on the Clydesdale would be pretty cool.  Traditionally, the Captains stateroom is immediately adjacent to the bridge.
Re: the D2 Habitat module and the D2 Stateroom Module.  Will they retain the same berthing capacity as before? 

Hm, with multiple levels I could see having a captain's stateroom below the Command Bridge/Ops Deck.

I carefully defined all the Refit versions so that the names of the seats exactly match those on the current models. In most cases the number of seats has increased- and the part gains ModuleSeatChanger to let you move kerbals to different seats. The D2 Stateroom Module and the D2 Sickbay are new; neither one exists in the current version of the mod, so there's no seating concerns there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Today I created the alert system light and buttons. This is more for fun than anything. Anyway, when you tap on the red, yellow, or blue alert buttons, the alert light will flash, and a sound effect will be played. Due to copyright issues I can't use any Star Trek alert sounds so I picked some public domain ones. What's cool is that when you tap on an alert button, any other existing alert will get canceled, and the alert panels throughout the ship will flash. Here's a look:

7CA81QK.png

Blue Alert is different than the rest in that the cockpit lights will turn blue.

kjGoERl.png

Yellow Alert:

knxcNNJ.png

Red Alert!

XGJU9h5.png

Colored light alert systems will surely increase the cool factor during any emergency situations, greatly improving crew safety.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The current bridge layout in Clydesdale is actually pretty good.  Nav and Helm up front.  Officer of the Deck at center behind them.  Comms and engineering behind that.  Moar displays though!
The little room to starboard with the red and pink lights, I sort of see as the sensor stations.  On port side... ummm...  padded room?  Make that the CO stateroom?  Then ready room/brieifing room?
Seriously, I think the layout is quite good.  Just maybe needs more bling.  This from a long time submariner.

I'm using the 3.12.0 pre-release version for testing.  For the D2 Habitat, I'm seeing a total of 6 chairs and  6 bunks (unimportant if they can actually be used).  For the D2 Stateroom, I'm seeing the same layout.

With all this new stuff, I'm looking to size the crew to the number of available bunks rather than the available chairs - with the knowledge that the bunks are (mostly) just for show.

With my soon to be announced Deep Space Station, there is technically room for 54 kerbals - which is kind of silly if you want to inject some pseudo-realism.  Of course, with what they've had to endure up to now - they can hot rack.... for 50 years!  But I'd kind of like to have a bunk for each crewmember.  All that said - man.. you have done just an amazing job with this.  Such a giant step forward from stock stuff.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...