Show and Tell - Atmospheric Scattering

StarSlay3r

38 minutes ago, Lijazos said:

In the shot moving towards the planet, you can see some artifacts in the clouds that look like some kind of Z-fighting horizontal lines on the thinnest parts of the clouds.

I remember seeing this phenomena on other videogames with volumetric clouds. What is the cause for that? Smoothing?

The fidelity of the clouds decreases with distance and we're still getting that dialed in. Distance fog is also still under development, so when both systems are polished, they'll work together to minimize that effect.

39 minutes ago, gussi111 said:

Are those Kerbins clouds in the last shot? I'm simply blown away!

Thank you KSP team, you instantly made my day 10x better :D 

That is NOT Kerbin OR Gurdamma. Hm.

21 minutes ago, Pkmniako said:

Are those, backlit rings? That's so cool!

Will the rings change depending if you look at them from the front or from the back, like the many pictures of Saturn Eclipses?

Yes, and it's incredibly cool-looking. It's all adjustable on the content side, so we should be seeing a lot of nice variation between different ringed planets.

4 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

The fidelity of the clouds decreases with distance and we're still getting that dialed in. Distance fog is also still under development, so when both systems are polished, they'll work together to minimize that effect.

That is NOT Kerbin OR Gurdamma. Hm.

Eyeball planet?

1 hour ago, Nate Simpson said:

Yep, the first two shots are Gurdamma, not Kerbin. Donk is much closer than the Mun (though this ended up being a bit TOO close -- it's been pushed back out just a smidge since this footage was taken).

Here's a shot from yesterday with the rings in place and Donk at proper distance. Things have gotten very pretty all of a sudden: image.png

That is gorgeous.  I've enjoyed KSP1 for so long despite the primitive graphics compared to modern high end games, because the core gameplay loop is so engaging.

That said, I currently have scatterer, parralax, etc. running.

One thing I'm most hoping for in KSP2 is more variety of winged and wheeled vehicles, and better terrain with less sharp geometry to make driving a better experience.

Also native joystick support.  I'd really love to be HOTAS for aircraft, and decent cockpit views, MFD screens...

Sorry got off on a wish tangent.  Anyways, beautiful sky.  Can't wait to put a base under that view.

Just now, Nate Simpson said:

Wait for us to put finishing touches on ring shadows. Donk should actually be casting a shadow across the ring. :)

If you make whatever tools you used (perhaps named Magrathea) to build planets available to modders, there will be a LOT of happy planet modders out there waiting for KSP 2...

33 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I can finally die in peace

You're a saint.

30 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Pretty baller how the clouds are interacting with the terrain already.  Absolutely psyched. 

9 minutes ago, coyotesfrontier said:

Is it just me, or does the terrain look a bit worse from what we've seen of Gurdamma before? I really hope they didn't downgrade anything for performance/console parity.

Compare this from a few months ago:

v17kUj9.png

With this from today:

hkxK3kJ.png

Those are just different spots. No major changes have taken place in this terrain, to my knowledge.

2 minutes ago, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

Calling it now: Once the game comes out, there will be a new thread in the forum games section called "KSP 2 or real life?" where people share spaceflight pictures and guess whether they're from KSP 2 or real space images.

This sounds like an amazing thread idea!  

Absolutely astonishing to see this come stock in a Kerbal game. The volumetric clouds in particular are sick as heck! I've been watching the development of a mod aiming to give just that to KSP 1. It brings joy to me to see that this game will not slack on visuals suite for the wonders of space.

My concern however, is performance. Many, many people do not have super ultra nitro NASA uber computers, let alone desktops. How is this being accounted for?

I've also noticed that it mentions that this is pre-alpha footage. Is this pre-alpha of this particular feature, or the game itself? Making games is not a joke and is a long and strenuous task even for whole teams of people. Alpha and beta stages are not short, and with a present release target of some point this year, that brings me great concern for both the quality of the game and the health of those working on it. Crunch is abusive and NOT something to be taken lightly.

23 minutes ago, Zaffre said:

My concern however, is performance. Many, many people do not have super ultra nitro NASA uber computers, let alone desktops. How is this being accounted for?

Using MSFS2020 as an example, there should be a "Volumetric Clouds resolution" option somewhere
Here's how they'll look under different settings.