Show and Tell - Atmospheric Scattering

StarSlay3r

I’m curious to see how an interstellar mission to Gurdamma would go... would you make a beeline straight for the surface, or would it be easier to build a factory on the lower-gravity Donk before making a trip down to the surface?

I imagine the view from inside the rings will be something else.

35 minutes ago, Badoobicus said:

I’m curious to see how an interstellar mission to Gurdamma would go... would you make a beeline straight for the surface, or would it be easier to build a factory on the lower-gravity Donk before making a trip down to the surface?

I'm going to Donk just for the views. Imagine landing at one of the poles and seeing the rings arc away in either direction, with Gurdamma just above the horizon...

Really pretty landscape, but I'm really beginning to worry about the system requirements. Since video cards are still really hard to come by. I would wonder how many players will be able to run the game with that type of graphics fidelity.

23 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Really pretty landscape, but I'm really beginning to worry about the system requirements. Since video cards are still really hard to come by. I would wonder how many players will be able to run the game with that type of graphics fidelity.

Has to run functionally on PS4 which has 8gb total system memory (unless they're canning the PS4 release for PS5). I'm more worried the other way... that they'll lower the graphics spec to work on potato hardware at the cost of looks. Hopefully sliders and options will be able to suit everyone.

3 hours ago, TLTay said:

Has to run functionally on PS4 which has 8gb total system memory (unless they're canning the PS4 release for PS5). I'm more worried the other way... that they'll lower the graphics spec to work on potato hardware at the cost of looks. Hopefully sliders and options will be able to suit everyone.

A bigger issue on PS4 than the RAM is the CPU, which was considered underpowered even when the console was first released. But really, if KSP1 could run well enough on the base PS4, I don't see why KSP2 couldn't, considering how it is going to be better optimized especially on the CPU side. I'm fairly confident that they can pull off a release without major issues, assuming they aren't rushed.

5 hours ago, Badoobicus said:

It'll depend a bit on the other planets in the Debdeb system. We don't know what kind of %C we'll be able to get out of our fancy new engines, but in all likelihood we'll be screaming in and need to perform a long deceleration burn on approach to the system. Depending on the position of the other planets, especially any heavy ones like Glumo, it'll probably be worth a tight flyby gravity assist to help circularize around the Debdeb star, ideally in an orbit that intersects with Gurdamma. Donk is a shepherd moon between two ring-bands and Gurdamma looks like its got a decent tilt to it, so you'll probably once again be able to carefully time a burn low above Donk to get yourself into orbit close to the same inclination as Gurdamma's tilt while avoiding the rings. Whether you send a lander to Donk or drop right down to low Gurdamma orbit will be up to you of course, but I would probably take advantage while my orbit was high. There might also be fuel sources there in a relatively shallow gravity well. 

Damn turns out Im really excited for this game. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

2 hours ago, TLTay said:

Has to run functionally on PS4

I can care less about consoles. I'm concerned about the PC side. I'm concerned about the fact you can barely find and afford any good current hardware. I'm concerned that I won't be able to even think about using any of the stock visuals. 

50 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I can care less about consoles. I'm concerned about the PC side. I'm concerned about the fact you can barely find and afford any good current hardware. I'm concerned that I won't be able to even think about using any of the stock visuals. 

Point being it shouldn't require a 3090 to run well. Integrated graphics... maybe not. They're probably targeting a bit lower than whatever is the most common stuff on the steam hardware survey.

13 minutes ago, TLTay said:

Point being it shouldn't require a 3090 to run well. Integrated graphics... maybe not. They're probably targeting a bit lower than whatever is the most common stuff on the steam hardware survey.

But where the cut off going to be? GTX20 series? Low end GTX30 series? The thing is no matter how good the optimizations are, on PC, there is always an issue when it comes to graphics. There's always a compromise that will have to be made if you don't have the bleeding edge hardware.

Now don't get me wrong, KSP2 will be a beautiful game. The real question is how many normal gamers will be able to play at those standards? 

4 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

But where the cut off going to be? GTX20 series? Low end GTX30 series? The thing is no matter how good the optimizations are, on PC, there is always an issue when it comes to graphics. There's always a compromise that will have to be made if you don't have the bleeding edge hardware.

Now don't get me wrong, KSP2 will be a beautiful game. The real question is how many normal gamers will be able to play at those standards? 

The graphics are great and I'm sure it'll be like every other PC game where you get to tinker with setting to get your optimal mix of fps, resolution, and detail. That's part of the fun. Anyway, they'll probably bump these posts to a specs thread if we don't stop talking about specs.

12 hours ago, KSPStar said:

KSP2's atmospheres have been getting some much-needed love from our environment team and graphics engineers, and there are still more improvements on the way. We're especially proud of Murshed Choudhury's work on the new atmospheric scattering system!

As well you should be.  His atmospheric scattering really gives both a sense of scale, and if you will forgive, a bit of emotive content to the scene.  It's not merely hard terrain and odd clouds thrown in... it looks like a real place.

(WRT the poor Kerbal falling into the planet... yeah, we've all done that.  Revert).

12 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Yep, the first two shots are Gurdamma, not Kerbin. Donk is much closer than the Mun (though this ended up being a bit TOO close -- it's been pushed back out just a smidge since this footage was taken).

Here's a shot from yesterday with the rings in place and Donk at proper distance. Things have gotten very pretty all of a sudden: image.png

The thing I admire about your artist's work, and your team's attention to detail is how true you want everything to be.  I loved KSP (still do) but I am really excited to share the new game with my Intrepid Daughter who shares my love of space: this kind of true but fantastic scene is bound to capture the imaginations of a new generation!

(Thanks)