Show and Tell - Atmospheric Scattering

StarSlay3r

5 hours ago, starcaptain said:

Will clouds get shoved out of the way when our flaming piles of garbage that used to be rockets careen through the clouds?

Yeah I am curious too, @KSPStarDo you have any information on this?

Also, congratulate Murshed Choudhury for us? The clouds look amazing.

Edited by Anth12

21 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Yep, the first two shots are Gurdamma, not Kerbin. Donk is much closer than the Mun (though this ended up being a bit TOO close -- it's been pushed back out just a smidge since this footage was taken).

Here's a shot from yesterday with the rings in place and Donk at proper distance. Things have gotten very pretty all of a sudden: image.png

21 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Instant wallpaper fuel

I... couldn't resist. I am weak. I made this for me.

Spoiler

29Vk8JP.jpg

I tweaked the peaks to be ever slightly sharper, and added the missing Donk shadow.

@Nate Simpson Can I give it to the hungry forum fellas, or does it fall under copyright claims?

18 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

It'll depend a bit on the other planets in the Debdeb system. We don't know what kind of %C we'll be able to get out of our fancy new engines, but in all likelihood we'll be screaming in and need to perform a long deceleration burn on approach to the system. Depending on the position of the other planets, especially any heavy ones like Glumo, it'll probably be worth a tight flyby gravity assist to help circularize around the Debdeb star, ideally in an orbit that intersects with Gurdamma. Donk is a shepherd moon between two ring-bands and Gurdamma looks like its got a decent tilt to it, so you'll probably once again be able to carefully time a burn low above Donk to get yourself into orbit close to the same inclination as Gurdamma's tilt while avoiding the rings. Whether you send a lander to Donk or drop right down to low Gurdamma orbit will be up to you of course, but I would probably take advantage while my orbit was high. There might also be fuel sources there in a relatively shallow gravity well. 

Damn turns out Im really excited for this game. 

We might also be thinking about this in the entirely wrong way. I imagine by the time you have the technology to land on an exoplanet or moon, the difference between 0.1g and 1g could be trivial.

We don't know much about the new resource system, but perhaps the deciding factor will be what resources each body will offer, not surface gravity.

As a side note, I hope that the sky color for most planets is not the same as Kerbin or Gurdamma. Atmospheres on planets with developing life have different molecules than atmospheres on “dead” planets, so unless there are some photosynthetic organisms on Gurdamma, then there should not be as much diatomic oxygen and the sky should look different. On the other hand, this might mean we get photosynthetic things on Gurdamma, sort of like laythe in most visual packs. 

9 hours ago, Badoobicus said:

We might also be thinking about this in the entirely wrong way. I imagine by the time you have the technology to land on an exoplanet or moon, the difference between 0.1g and 1g could be trivial.

We don't know much about the new resource system, but perhaps the deciding factor will be what resources each body will offer, not surface gravity.

Yeah who knows! It’ll probably depend on your mission profile, whether you plan to land your whole mothership on Donk or detach smaller mining vessels with higher TWR, or set up a self-sufficient mining base there. That in turn might be determined by whether you sent an interstellar fly-by probe to scan first so you could design accordingly, or just wung it with a jack of all trades colony ship from the outset that could build mini-colonies and adapt once you arrived. 

In theory your main propulsion drives to another system would have crazy high ISP, but relatively low TWR for landing on high-mass bodies.  You might get away with it on a low-mass moon with no atmosphere though. And when you’ve got a long approach and can time your encounters gravity assists are usually free money.  We don’t know much yet but the engineering puzzles could be amazing. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 1/28/2022 at 2:23 PM, Zaffre said:

I've also noticed that it mentions that this is pre-alpha footage. Is this pre-alpha of this particular feature, or the game itself? Making games is not a joke and is a long and strenuous task even for whole teams of people. Alpha and beta stages are not short, and with a present release target of some point this year, that brings me great concern for both the quality of the game and the health of those working on it. Crunch is abusive and NOT something to be taken lightly.

If you look up in this forum post you can see an image from Nate from the up to date version of the planetary system the video is from. The footage is most likely a tad old.

On 1/29/2022 at 8:00 PM, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah who knows! It’ll probably depend on your mission profile, whether you plan to land your whole mothership on Donk or detach smaller mining vessels with higher TWR, or set up a self-sufficient mining base there. That in turn might be determined by whether you sent an interstellar fly-by probe to scan first so you could design accordingly, or just wung it with a jack of all trades colony ship from the outset that could build mini-colonies and adapt once you arrived. 

In theory your main propulsion drives to another system would have crazy high ISP, but relatively low TWR for landing on high-mass bodies.  You might get away with it on a low-mass moon with no atmosphere though. And when you’ve got a long approach and can time your encounters gravity assists are usually free money.  We don’t know much yet but the engineering puzzles could be amazing. 

I wonder what interstellar ships with landers and surveying equipment would look like. The ship we see in the trailer orbiting Jool has no landers to be seen, unless it’s hiding something in those big cargo crates behind the habitation rings.

We also see a pretty big lander detach from an even bigger ship to land on Merble at the end of the trailer. Was that a newly-arrived interstellar ship? Is the lander carrying the “city-in-a-box” Nate mentioned previously, enough to bootstrap an entire interstellar colony?

@Badoobicus Thats the fun part for me. For big missions in modded installs to planets like Duna with a relatively low-mass moon with no atmosphere I generally like to design motherships in sections with different functions that can disassemble on arrival. So for instance I'll put habitation inside the main planetary lander and assent vehicle, followed by a utility section (planetary fuel plant, science lab, rover(s), and finally a refueling main drive section. Once in orbit the drive section becomes a tanker with main engines, fuel tanks, and ISRU rig detaching to go top off on Ike. It then returns to give the the main landers enough fuel to get to the surface. I'll often build the utility vehicle as one big rover so I can drive it right up to the hab/lander if they don't land right next to each other, but you can also drop the whole shebang at once, or rovers separate, whatever. Sometimes I'll also include a separate station section with a science lab and centrifuge that stays in orbit and processes data collected on Ike. I usually send survey and communications satellites ahead of time as a separate package, but there's no reason you cant bolt those to the side of your mothership as well. 

Interstellar missions could be pretty similar to this just with a much more efficient drive section and bigger fuel tanks (probably drop tanks are a good idea?), but being able to build colonies and live off the land adds a lot more possibility. It might be that you're really just arriving with a bunch of kerbals in a habitation ring and enough raw materials to make an orbital construction platform and a few ISRU landers to go down to the surface and set up shop, or it could be that the conversion from raw materials to finished landers is inefficient and you'd rather attach them to your mothership pre-built. I sort of hope both are encouraged--that making vessels once you arrive is somewhat inefficient, but offset by not having to pre-scout ahead of time. It should be a tough enough call that some players will do one and some players will do the other. 

f5tTTX0.jpg

Edited by Pthigrivi

3 hours ago, TROPtastic said:

@LezRowlFortunately, there will be a lot of continued improvements between now and release in a year or two. I don't think we have anything to worry about on the graphics side of KSP2.

I don't know. Wouldn't this kind of thing be saved for last since it can be finished while the otherwise completed game is in testing? It might be done soon...

7 hours ago, TLTay said:

I don't know. Wouldn't this kind of thing be saved for last since it can be finished while the otherwise completed game is in testing? It might be done soon...

I don't know if game studios do it similarly or if every one has a different approach to when they do what, do we have someone here that is more informed on the matter?

On 1/29/2022 at 9:04 AM, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

I'm going to Donk just for the views. Imagine landing at one of the poles and seeing the rings arc away in either direction, with Gurdamma just above the horizon...

Pitch: Kerbal Screensaver for desktops and TV. ...

Timelapse videos of all the places your kerbals are currently hanging out on your multiplayer server. 

19 minutes ago, mattinoz said:

Pitch: Kerbal Screensaver for desktops and TV. ...

Timelapse videos of all the places your kerbals are currently hanging out on your multiplayer server. 

I like that. It's probably the only way for me to see the worlds as the devs intended for awhile. (At least until the gpu market isn't ruled by the scalpers.)

2 hours ago, intelliCom said:

Sorry for completely ignoring the entire point of your reply, but what mod is this, I am strongly fascinated: https://imgur.com/a/GgkKDVA

Oh haha its the Undockinator. It hasn't happened in a while but there used to be a bug where docking ports would get stuck and there was no way to undock them. Except Arnold, of course. 

38 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Oh haha its the Undockinator. It hasn't happened in a while but there used to be a bug where docking ports would get stuck and there was no way to undock them. Except Arnold, of course. 

So a bug-patching mod? I don't really know any of them.

Would love if there was a bug-patching mod for apoapsises (apoapses? apsides? unsure.) and periapsises from extremely far away nodes moving strangely when your craft rotates (Typically happens on Jool transfers, to name one example.) Also, a patch for the sun's inconsistent heat.

1 hour ago, intelliCom said:

So a bug-patching mod? I don't really know any of them.

Would love if there was a bug-patching mod for apoapsises (apoapses? apsides? unsure.) and periapsises from extremely far away nodes moving strangely when your craft rotates (Typically happens on Jool transfers, to name one example.) Also, a patch for the sun's inconsistent heat.

Oh man I hadn't thought to look for a mod to fix that but yes that would be amazing.