Show and Tell - Atmospheric Scattering

StarSlay3r

Just looking at this amazing scenery and how well detailed everything is for such a massive game. The graphics are so pretty and I honestly don’t know if a gtx960 could handle top graphics. I just built my PC and the only reason I have a 960 is because it’s my friends old one, hehe. I have a great CPU though and a sturdy amount of RAM. Just hoping I can run this game on the best settings when it comes out.

On 1/28/2022 at 9:15 AM, Nate Simpson said:

image.png

This is literally so beautiful. I’ve never seen anything like it and I’m actually kinda jealous that I saw this here instead of experiencing it myself when the game launches. I don’t mean any negativity, this is just great! 

Also, I wonder how Donk, the shepherd moon, is able to be (or look) so big and not tear apart the ring system with its gravity. I bet it just looks bigger and the rings are more spread apart than they look because I know the team really likes getting the science right. 

On 2/11/2022 at 3:34 PM, TruffleSpy said:

This is literally so beautiful. I’ve never seen anything like it and I’m actually kinda jealous that I saw this here instead of experiencing it myself when the game launches. I don’t mean any negativity, this is just great! 

Also, I wonder how Donk, the shepherd moon, is able to be (or look) so big and not tear apart the ring system with its gravity. I bet it just looks bigger and the rings are more spread apart than they look because I know the team really likes getting the science right. 

Very often, a lot of stuff in KSP is scaled down for ease of gameplay. Jool's moons, for example, should be way further away than they are. Applying n-body physics to a simulation of Jool's moons becomes unstable quite quickly.

9 hours ago, intelliCom said:

Very often, a lot of stuff in KSP is scaled down for ease of gameplay. Jool's moons, for example, should be way further away than they are. Applying n-body physics to a simulation of Jool's moons becomes unstable quite quickly.

Yeah, you make a great point! Even then it still might be further and the rings might be more spread apart than they look just for more plausibility. Also, since Rask and Rusk have their own N-body physics, maybe Shepard moons will kinda make the parts of the ring that are close to it wobble? But I feel like that attention to detail would be insane for the scale of the game.

I wonder if there will be more Shepard moons in the game? Maybe in other ringed planets like Ovin and Glumo? I know Shepard moons are quite common in ring systems. I could be wrong though.

Edited by TruffleSpy
Added, “ I could be wrong though.”

Im just posting this here cause its pretty and the level of cloud cover is relatively high, which could be an interesting slider for navigation and mapping incentives between very dry worlds and places like Eve that might mimic dense, opaque atmospheres like Venus has. 

WSz0r51.jpg

On 2/15/2022 at 3:43 PM, Pthigrivi said:

Im just posting this here cause its pretty

Not to ignore your good point in the rest of your comment, but you had at me at "pretty". I could stare at images like these for a very long time. In fact, I kind of already do.... Does anyone else start up a visually-modded KSP, turn off the UI, and have it going in the background or on your second monitor so you can watch Kerbin slowly spin by underneath you while you work? Can't wait to do the same with KSP2, especially after seeing this Show and Tell.

On 2/18/2022 at 5:28 AM, Ahres said:

Not to ignore your good point in the rest of your comment, but you had at me at "pretty". I could stare at images like these for a very long time. In fact, I kind of already do.... Does anyone else start up a visually-modded KSP, turn off the UI, and have it going in the background or on your second monitor so you can watch Kerbin slowly spin by underneath you while you work? Can't wait to do the same with KSP2, especially after seeing this Show and Tell.

No but do turn on AppleTV screensavers of basically the same thing shot from the ISS. 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

You mean, why haven't the devs yet integrated scatter into a gameplay-optimised build of the game that they're already being pressured to get out for "EA" because the T2 execs need the money to run their green baths?

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to ask. Apparently even the 3080 can't handle such settings?

7 minutes ago, Alexoff said:
2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

You mean, why haven't the devs yet integrated scatter into a gameplay-optimised build of the game that they're already being pressured to get out for "EA" because the T2 execs need the money to run their green baths?

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to ask.

Isn't the question somewhat self-explanatory?

Apparently even the 3080 can't handle such settings?

That's not the point. It's not about what your rig can do, it's about how quickly the developers can put together the things they've built, over the course of EA.

Edited by Bej Kerman

3 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Perhaps this is an attempt to reach out to the creators of the game?

4 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

It's not about what your rig can do, it's about how quickly the developers can put together the things they've built, over the course of EA.

It reminds me of the story with the heroes of might and magic 7. I played part 3 in elementary school, probably the most popular game in my environment. The sixth part came out mediocre and many hoped for the seventh part. It turned out that the publisher allocated very little money and the students made the game almost for free. And looking at the budget, they must have accomplished a feat - to make such a game. But from the player's point of view, it was a terrible game compared to the previous parts, it was absolutely unbearable to play it.

4 minutes ago, Alexoff said:
15 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Perhaps this is an attempt to reach out to the creators of the game?

What?

I'm saying the reason there's no scatter isn't to do with hardware, or at most hardware is only a secondary concern. The devs haven't integrated it into their main builds in the first place, presumably. Just because they've got a system for scatter doesn't mean integrating it into a much bigger, playable build of the game is going to be a straightforward process.

Edited by Bej Kerman

6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'm saying the reason there's no scatter isn't to do with hardware, or at most hardware is only a secondary concern. The devs haven't integrated it into their main builds in the first place, presumably. Just because they've got a system for scatter doesn't mean integrating it into a much bigger, playable build of the game is going to be a straightforward process.

I think it's all about the system requirements. If the developers do not have time to add an already created and extended feature to the build, then there are big questions about the professionalism of the management.

I think it's all about the system requirements.

Well it isn't.

If the developers do not have time to add an already created and extended feature to the build, then there are big questions about the professionalism of the management.

Coding = magic! Just drag and drop the scatter files into the gameplay files, hey presto, scatter's implemented now! :D

5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Well it isn't.

Once again I ask you - are you a developer and do you know what's going on in the studio?

Coding = magic! Just drag and drop the scatter files into the gameplay files, hey presto, scatter's implemented now!

No, I think it's "work". Promised something to the consumer - carry out. Don't expect him to make up excuses for you.

Just now, Alexoff said:

Well it isn't.

Once again I ask you - are you a developer and do you know what's going on in the studio?

I've seen development work first-hand and know that it isn't a straight-like process. In fact, not knowing what's going on in the studio should be the exact reasoning for giving them the benefit of the doubt! You have no idea what the devs are having to deal with or what kinds of challenges come with making a working product from the building blocks within the time Intercept was given.

Just now, Alexoff said:

Coding = magic! Just drag and drop the scatter files into the gameplay files, hey presto, scatter's implemented now!

No, I think it's "work". Promised something to the consumer - carry out. Don't expect him to make up excuses for you.

Oh, yes. Just "work" and watch the game completion percentage go up in a linear manner :confused:

Nobody is entitled to super-devs that can "carry out" anything when given unreasonable deadlines. Don't think that developers are 2000000-word-per-minute superheroes who can just pull a working product out of their backside within 2 hours if you say "give me x within 2 hours".

16 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Nobody is entitled to super-devs that can "carry out" anything when given unreasonable deadlines. Don't think that developers are 2000000-word-per-minute superheroes who can just pull a working product out of their backside within 2 hours if you say "give me x within 2 hours".

What were the deadlines? When did the development of the game start? The first deadline was not spring 2020?

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Your point is?

I already wrote - the publisher allocated little money to a weak developer who could not master such a project. And now both the publisher and the developer have taken an ostrich position - they pretend that everything is going as expected.