Switching from Console to Computer KSP

I finally got a laptop that will be able to play KSP 2 (based on 1). I am going to wait until KSP 2 comes out, because I already have KSP on Xbox, to buy it. What can I expect with PC KSP?

(probably should be moved to a more suitable thread)

19 minutes ago, BekfastDerp13 said:

I finally got a laptop that will be able to play KSP 2 (based on 1). I am going to wait until KSP 2 comes out, because I already have KSP on Xbox, to buy it. What can I expect with PC KSP?

(probably should be moved to a more suitable thread)

Get a newer computer, at least an 11th gen or 10th gen i7 with 16 GB's of ram.

My laptop cost about ~800 and it runs KSP with part mods, LS mod, and visual mods pretty well!

1 hour ago, AtomicTech said:

Get a newer computer, at least an 11th gen or 10th gen i7 with 16 GB's of ram.

My laptop cost about ~800 and it runs KSP with part mods, LS mod, and visual mods pretty well!

I got an MSI GE76 raider, I was wondering if there are some tips and tricks for harnessing the power of PC KSP

1 hour ago, AtomicTech said:

We've got a PC converter, do y'all have any suggestions on how to make the PC experience legendary?

Hmm, the OP does not seem to be asking about KSP1:

3 hours ago, BekfastDerp13 said:

I am going to wait until KSP 2 comes out, because I already have KSP on Xbox

I guess if I had to give advice for PC ownership, it would be to try GNOME Shell on Ubuntu, but I realize that not everyone likes what I like.

1 hour ago, BekfastDerp13 said:

I got an MSI GE76 raider, I was wondering if there are some tips and tricks for harnessing the power of PC KSP

That ought to cut it. The laptop version of that CPU is a bit underclocked, but it's still very close to performance of the desktop i7 from the same generation, which is has comparable performance to the PS5 CPU.

So some architectural hiccups aside, if this laptop has significant problems running KSP2, so will the PS5, and we know Intercept will have to get performance at least good enough for the new consoles to run it. So yeah, that will do for sure.

3 hours ago, K^2 said:

That ought to cut it. The laptop version of that CPU is a bit underclocked, but it's still very close to performance of the desktop i7 from the same generation, which is has comparable performance to the PS5 CPU.

So some architectural hiccups aside, if this laptop has significant problems running KSP2, so will the PS5, and we know Intercept will have to get performance at least good enough for the new consoles to run it. So yeah, that will do for sure.

Helps a bunch!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pearx said:

They did say KSP 2 would be better optimized, right?

Yeah, but it's also a bigger game with much more expensive physics and time warp calculations to enable multiplayer, so it's very hard to say where that's going to land.

We know it has to run well on PS5, because otherwise they might as well cancel the whole thing, hence using that console as a benchmark. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the min spec will end up higher than that for KSP, because I don't think all the optimizations Intercept are likely to put in are going to outweigh the game getting bigger.

Somewhere between these two goal posts pretty much for sure, but it's a wide spread. I would guess that general case with all the bells and whistles will end up on the high end of that range. Primarily, because that's where the main financial pressure ends - if you can ship the game on modern consoles, you're going to bring in most of the money the title can collect. Spending more time optimizing sees diminishing returns. So usually, min spec optimization only goes as far as it needs to. But depending on how Intercept chose to handle some of the optimizations and quality settings, if you play single player (or at least, don't host) and tune some of the quality settings down, the requirements might be much lower.

There's also a question of what breaks first if you are bellow min-spec. Based on limited info we have, my biggest concern would be time-warp in interstellar. So maybe if you're ok with things getting really slow and choppy when at max warp, and trips generally taking longer, maybe the game is still playable for you.

So again, for anyone who absolutely must upgrade their system now (even though it's still kind of the bad time for it), the safe threshold is matching PS5 performance. But if your system is bellow that, don't despair yet. It's much too early for that. Wait and see.

4 hours ago, K^2 said:

So again, for anyone who absolutely must upgrade their system now (even though it's still kind of the bad time for it), the safe threshold is matching PS5 performance. But if your system is bellow that, don't despair yet. It's much too early for that. Wait and see.

Definitely agree on the wait-and-see at this point.  No min specs published yet, and PC hardware prices are completely bonkers.

I'd also suggest that - on the console side - the game will be optimized to run well on the slower Series S, as Xbox is holding its own against PS this generation, and there's a lot of dev focus on the Series S hardware.  We don't have specific numbers for the Series breakdown, but here's what the last few months look like for PS5 (black)  vs  Xbox Series (green):

kA436z1.png

Also with the dearth of PC hardware right now, there's going to be motivation for Intercept to keep the min spec pretty low to reach a broad audience.  I'm champing at the bit to upgrade, but I'm going to hold off until we have a better idea what performance is like, especially with mods ;)

4 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

I'd also suggest that - on the console side - the game will be optimized to run well on the slower Series S, as Xbox is holding its own against PS this generation, and there's a lot of dev focus on the Series S hardware.

Fair point, but Series S runs on the same CPU as SX, just with a slower clock speed, which is still higher than PS5 clock speed, and the architectures of all 3 are very, very similar. There's a reason why Series S is popular, and not having a CPU that runs like it came from a cereal box is a big part of it. Series S might actually be a more reasonable comparison in terms of graphics hardware you'll need to run all the bells and whistles on high, but in terms of CPU benchmark, PS5 is still the bottom threshold.

So we could revise the "Guaranteed No-Higher-Than" min spec to Ryzen R7 3700X with Radeon RX 6500 XT (down from 6600XT) and 8GB RAM. Though, I think it's still a given that you'd be able to go way lower on graphics hardware for min spec here. We just don't have any indication on where the cutoff is going to be, since we don't know how many of the new features we'll be able to disable.

6 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

Yo dude, don't wait for KSP2. KSP1 with mods is the love.

If you run KSP on puter with less then 40 mods, you ain't playing!

From someone with, maybe, 100 mods, with visual mods included (Scatterer, EVE, SVE Medium), you ain't living until at least 35.

1 hour ago, fragtzack said:

Yo dude, don't wait for KSP2. KSP1 with mods is the love.

If you run KSP on puter with less then 40 mods, you ain't playing!

But it’s no fun waiting 15 min for KSP to load.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if your KSP is taking a long time to load, you need another upgrade. This time it's not CPU, it's not GPU, it's not RAM, it's not Motherboard, none of that.

It's the absolutely critical part that everyone seems to forget about until it fails. The hard drive.

If you can, try switching to a M.2 NVMe SSD. Doesn't need to be particularly large if you're not sure about it, but I put my OS and most of my games on a 1TB one (from gen3 of PCIe mind you, so current offerings are even faster), and the data read/write speeds are thru the roof even compared to a SATA SSD.

If you're on a magnetic hard drive right now, you could easily cut your loading times in HALF or more.

And the best part? Assuming you have a motherboard with the right socket for it, the SSD itself isn't even all that expensive. My 1TB one (when I got it, and when it was the latest and greatest) was only ~$275 USD.
Much much cheaper than trying to buy a GPU or CPU right now.

If your motherboard doesn't have a socket for it, you can get a PCI-E card that has anywhere from 1 to 4 sockets for M.2 NVMe SSDs on it. They're not even that expensive unless you get the 4-socket version, a single or twin-socket version from a reputable brand will probably only run you maybe $50 USD. Of course, you'll also have to check motherboard compatibility, as you usually should be doing.