5twyNpI.jpg

BhZFAM0.jpg

y6vbMCd.jpg

T5pfW1I.jpg

VolCWA5.jpg

mIBSs3E.jpg

jmqJh7O.jpg

Description

The Blue Comet has its history debuting back in early 3480 A.E in the war against The Zxatan Imperium. One of the many heroes of the war, Zack Fireball Kerman and his trusty T-9 Specter. While this craft was feared for being a stealthy infiltration, he was known to show off with his flashy blue with reflective polished steel and signature Fireball.

Flight Controls

Action Groups

Throttle - ascending kraken drive

Full throttle - take-off (keep on to reach space)
Half throttle - descending hover mode

AG1 forward thrust kraken drive
AG2 control from the command chair
AG3 control from the probe unit
AG4 open canopy

Every time before the flight it will be controlled by default from the Probe unit tied to (action group 3) Press Radial Out and then throttle up to ascend with the vertical lifting Kraken drive. After you have achieved your desired altitude you can lower to half throttle to have a slow hover descend.

When you are floating mid-air engage the forward thrust Kraken drive (action group 1) to achieve forward flight. Press (action group 2) to Control from your command chair and deselect Radial Out. Remain in half throttle and fly around in the atmosphere or fly off-planet. Adjust throttle for hovering on other planetary bodies.

STOCK REQUIRES DLC

DOWNLOADS

Steam https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2734498805&searchtext=

Kerbal X https://kerbalx.com/InterstellarKev/Blue-Comet

Downloads for flags that are needed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23w6n1w8zvstdhl/bluecomet.zip?dl=0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BliF2g_CnBmm3v4vicypfMlvxJoM-kfi/view?usp=sharing

Edited by InterstellarKev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks cool and flies pretty well (albeit slowly in thick atmo, i wouldnt reccomend it on eve).  Now if only it wasnt more parts then most of my massive starships :), a bit laggy when brought near any bases or other things but fine on its own at least...

9E3nBtL.png

Btw, have you ever tried pure 2 directional gear drive?  The reason i ask is that your craft is extremely complex and frankly im not even entirely certain how you made the kraken engine work in the 1st place, at least the vertical part, i know what docking port drives are and the few times ive tried them they were too weak, high part count and required way too much real estate to fit on a fighter sized craft (at least at the scale i make fighters at which is literally maximum length of 1.5 mk1 cockpits).  I think 2 gears forward and 2 gears up would be more then enuff for the 30 or so tons your craft is, and it would save some insane amount of parts.

163FmP7.png

Then there's this model, its what ive come up with and started outfitting my craft, capable of lifting 90t with but 5 parts, vertical+horizontal capability.  Doesnt let me hover quite like yours (although it is possible to tweak it so that the vertical velocity gained is extremely low hence making it a pseudo hover engine, just need to adjust the spacing between the gears and the block they push), normally accelerated vertically by around 3-8m/s depending on config and craft weight (the frigate will NOT play nicely when going above 5m/s as the drive often goes explody for whatever reason when i add too many wheels to it).  Also requires 0 robotics parts which have been pretty buggy from day 1 (aside from turrets on ships, anything with a prop on it and mechs/walkers i tend to avoid them especially with how the drifting bug is still a thing that the devs never fixed).

06G6sLn.png

So yeah, 2 landing gears per side lifts 90t and gives you forward thrust once it lifts, not to mention accel is quite solid around 1-2Gs depending on how i configure the drive and what mass its pushing.  Note sure how many parts your k-drives take up, but i guessing you can easily save over 100 parts with this concept (giving you either less lag or more asthetic options if you so desire).  Now if only the ship i built was aerodynamically stable, i cared only about looks and performance (armor, firepower, dV), keeps flipping when i exceed 30m/s every time (having ONLY 6 of the smallest reaction wheels also dont help)...

Btw, have you ever tried pure 2 directional gear drive?  The reason i ask is that your craft is extremely complex and frankly im not even entirely certain how you made the kraken engine work in the 1st place, at least the vertical part, i know what docking port drives are and the few times ive tried them they were too weak, high part count and required way too much real estate to fit on a fighter sized craft (at least at the scale i make fighters at which is literally maximum length of 1.5 mk1 cockpits). 

For my vertical lift I use a Kal-10000 to first program my 2x - 1 G-11 hinge which has 3 LY-05 attached to it. This craft battled me staying stable through flight unlike most of my other kraken craft I will admit. Normally the amount I used here was not needed. I had to double up on the normal amount that I used here. 

I have not tried your method you are suggesting. I like to control my lift with the throttle by attaching a KAL to the throttle and adjust based on weight of the craft. Adding to the KAL usage and robotic parts it gives you more flexibility.

WOphneA.jpg

wMilP7O.jpg

For forward thrust I just use the typical docking port drive but I attach to a hydraulic cylinder and bind it to a action group so that way I full control. I'm still working on building bigger craft using these methods my biggest one being this one pictured and its Kraken drive. 

My newest creation Is a much better system with my new drop ship. You can modify the layout to fit into most ships to get the same amount of performance shown in the video above but smaller fighters I am experimenting with more folding drives to cut down on space further. (no working prototypes yet)

1C5pVn9.jpg

jYAqwhD.jpg

AAetOPP.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.