Recovery mission says part is in Duna orbit but it appears to be in a solar orbit

Confused on this contract.   It specifically states the part is "In orbit around Duna".  So I went out there and it wasn't showing up on the map.  When zooming out or viewing in the tracking stations it shows the part in a solar orbit.

aDG3sEj.png

H4Ba7O3.png

Is this normal?

Edited by Biggen

13 minutes ago, Biggen said:

Is this normal?

One guess is that the part eventually had an encounter with Ike and was ejected from Duna’s SOI.  That sometimes happens with Mun as well.

Very rarely, a recovery contract part will collide with a CB, destroying it, and any Kerbals inside.

One tip for doing recovery contracts is look at the orbit, either before you accept or immediately after you accept.  If the orbit looks like it could hit a moon’s SOI, that means you need to do the contract right away, before the part gets flung into solar orbit.

I have not seen this, but I wonder if the contract might be taking into account that the part will be in Duna's SOI when you get there?

And yes, things get thrown out of Duna's SOI all the time.  I've personally had craft in orbit of Duna waiting on a transfer window to get home, only to have them ejected at some point into solar orbit, messing up my window and dV calculations.  It happens.  <_<

Edited by Scarecrow71

On 1/28/2022 at 10:51 PM, Biggen said:

Ah ok. That answers my question then.  It probably was Ike.   Thanks guys!

Now to figure out how to get that part from solar orbit.

Do it like you do an Duna mission, note that you will need to do more adjustment burns as you get close as you are after an part and not an planet. 

And it was Ike, had it kick out an capsule I rescued an kerbal from around Duna once, luckily I was on Duna and rescued him but saw an ship in solar orbit and wondered that it was, well it was an single capsule who name matched the kerbal now at Ike. 

7 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Do it like you do an Duna mission, note that you will need to do more adjustment burns as you get close as you are after an part and not an planet. 

And it was Ike, had it kick out an capsule I rescued an kerbal from around Duna once, luckily I was on Duna and rescued him but saw an ship in solar orbit and wondered that it was, well it was an single capsule who name matched the kerbal now at Ike. 

Yup, I was able to get it done.  Had to tweak the maneuvers quite a bit but was able to finally get the part and bring it back home. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.