What the ESRB Rating Pending Means?

To me it feels like the difference here was that this Show & Tell was more formal. It had the rating pending, the KSP2 screen at the end, and was shown on other platforms besides the forums. In the past, I believe it was only the forums (maybe also reddit?) that were getting the S&T's on Fridays, while the rest got it the following Monday or Tuesday. But this time it was on Twitter also. I'm assuming it was on other platforms as well, but I haven't looked. 

I don't know what it means, except maybe PD and/or T2 wanted less S&T's and the fewer ones that are given are more presentable and official?

I'm pretty sure, "rating pending," simply means it hasn't been submitted yet. You can register a title with ESRB long, long before it's finished enough for a submission.

Edit: Per ESRB, Rating Pending (RP):

Not yet assigned a final ESRB rating. Appears only in advertising, marketing and promotional materials related to a physical (e.g., boxed) video game that is expected to carry an ESRB rating, and should be replaced by a game's rating once it has been assigned.

Edited by K^2