Threads of the month: February 2022

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
February 2022 Edition

iZ6Fn8p.png?1

Hello to the seasoned forum members, the new forum members, and everyone in-between! And welcome to another exciting edition of the threads of the month, hosted by me, the one and only adsii1970! :cool:

It's hard to believe it's already February - but I'm glad it isn't a leap year. Only 28 days in this month and after today, we have just 27 more days to go until March! There's a lot going on this month in the world of spaceflight and space exploration. While this is not meant to be a complete list of everything going on, according to Space.com and other various Internet sources, here's what we are hoping to see in the month of February:

• The the European Space Agency (EU - ESA), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (US - NASA), Department of Space (DoS-India) and Israel Space Agency (ISA) to launch Artemis I into Lunar orbit.
  • NASA will launch and fly the Space Launch System (SLS) on a four to six-week test flight around the Moon, in a similar flight path taken by the Apollo missions.
  • The China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASTC) has committed itself to two unmanned cargo flights and one manned flight, and an additional module for its new space station.
  • Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, has announced it will begin to bring tourists to the International Space Station once an agreement is made with other international agencies by mid February. There's still a lot to be done according to multiple sources.
  • The Indian Space Research Organisation is preparing to present to the Indian Parliament plans to begin its own manned space program using Indian-made rockets and components. They want to begin prototype testing in early 2023.

These are just the major headlines. There are literally hundreds of others out there, to include recent discoveries on Mars, and even some stuff about our own Moon and even more surprising, things we are still learning from Voyager 2!

For those out there who like the nerdy parts of the TOTM:

To continue a thing I started in May (2021) about the forum and new members as a way to answer the fears some folks had about the forum dying. In Jamuary, using the new forum metric, there were 422 new forum accounts created (an increase of 90 from December).  Of those, we have 34 new forum members (defined as no longer having their comments queued) within the community. This means that roughly 8.0% of the new user accounts are actively participating on the forum (while the number of new accounts is up, the number of active new accounts is also up. In December, only 6.32% new accounts became new forum members). If you're interested in seeing the new members to our forum, you can click here!

Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for February:

General community threads of the month:
This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit in the game support/game mod categories. This month, there were no nominations for this category.

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:

This category features either help with the game (stock or modded), or a mod (or mods) which adds to the quality of life game play of Kerbal Space Program. This month, there was a mod nominated which truly deserves such recognition.

If you're new to Kerbal Space Program, you have learned through trial and error this game has a very steep learning curve. And if you play this game like I play most of the games I own, I often bypass the tutorials and start a new game immediately, believing I can learn to play as I go. Unfortunately, I'm no rocket scientist. And in the early days of KSP, the tutorials were just what I needed to help me learn the basics of how to rendezvous, dock, and the other basic stuff.

As KSP continued to be developed, one of the unfortunate consequences was the tutorials became stagnant. With the most recent updates, some of the parts were redesigned, renamed, or even depreciated to the extent some of the tutorials became unplayable. For us more experienced players, we never gave the tutorials a second thought. For the less-experienced player, this is a serious issue. A special thanks to @linuxgurugamer for this terrific mod that repairs the broken tutorials so they are once again relevant and usable for those who need them.

@linuxgurugamer describes what the mod does:

The tutorials were broken both by the following changes:

1. The parts revamp changed the category on the LV-T45 "liquidEngine2" to "none"  because of the revamed LV-T45;  they left the old engine to avoid breaking old saves, but by changing the category the old engine would be there, but not in the editor. Unfortunately, they forgot to update the tutorials which still refer to the old engine
  2. The "Hopper" craft which the tutorials reference isn't showing up because the old vessel loading screen apparently had some code to look for the Hopper in a non-standard location. I've created a new Hopper to avoid any issue of redistributing Squad assets, it is identical to the original, and this patch puts it into the stock vessels.
  3. Due to the change in the parts, a number of vessels in the various tutorial files were borked

Forum Member Created Challenges and Missions:

For the past few years, we have seen a lot of really good missions and challenges threads created that expand our fun with the game and presses our skills, creativity, and sometimes, luck, beyond what we get accustomed to. Let's face it, we all have our go-to design basics, our go-to Kermen, and even our go-to vehicles we like to use. So sometimes a good challenge can cause us to think of another way to achieve our goals. This month, there were no nominations for this category.

Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Thread of the Month:

This category features a thread (or threads) which while is not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation which is related to the game. This month, there were no nominations for this category

Honorable mention:

Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mentions for this month are:

The honorable mentions for this month may not have made the Thread of The Month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month for February! We'd like to thank @Spaceman.Spiff, @AlamoVampire, @Kuiper_Belt, and the members of the moderation team and staff who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads for this month!

And this month, I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to @UomoCapra for allowing me to serve as a member of the KSP moderation team and for the other endeavors he has given me an opportunity to be involved. Oh, and since I was asked to ping the community manager in the TOTMs... (this began in October, @KSP Star, you've been pinged - again!)  :P

TO NOMINATE  A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, then use the "report comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post "Nomination for thread of the month" and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

In case you missed last month's threads of the month, you can click here.

1 hour ago, BlackMesaSurvivor said:

Well, i though they have forgotten about the TOTMs. And then i fell asleep while i was waiting for the thread to show up.:P

Anyways, Congratulations for all those who winned(and those who had an honorable mention)!^_^

Nope, didn't forget about it at all. I don't like doing the TOTM post until the actual date it needs to be posted. 

Today was a busy day and as the old U.S. Army recruiting slogan once said, "we do more before 9 a.m. than most people do all day" isn't far from the truth. :confused:

But thank you for being patient with me. It's appreciated. 

adsii

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.