Pax East Reveal?

9 hours ago, Bosun said:

Sadly it is not April Fools.  

The original launch date was even earlier than that.  The initial trailer hit in 2017.    That was, I believe, almost a year and a half, to two years into development already.  The game has been 'in official development' of some sort, since 2015, really.  

I've said it other places, but most games take 6-10 years to fully develop from public announcement to public release, nowadays.  Don't know why.  Just is.  

Kerbal 2 will likely launch sometime *actual* year 2023/4.  If they release it before 2025, they're above the curve for normal game development timelines in our modern age.   Due to to the complex nature of computing and modeling, and higher customer expectations for graphics and representation by modelling, game development just take significantly longer.    
There isn's a single game I've waited on in the last decade and a half, that has been publicly announced, and then released, in less than 6 years.    It has been worth the wait every time, and I highly doubt Private Division wants to rush things.    I would estimate, when they say '2022' release, that they will release sometime in the actual year 2023, possibly fiscal year 2024.   The fact that we've seen so little of the game in renders, there have been no firmer timelines set, and there have been very few development updates lately, would render that they are behind schedule, and have no further news to update at this time. 

Wait, if you subtract a few years so the timeline is correct that means...

Overconfident Alcoholic | Know Your Meme

Ahres, are you in possession of information that we may have missed?   I would love to be wrong, but going off of the information provided thus far, and the indications that the lack of even an estimated quarter for release are giving us, already almost 3 months in to the year, doesn't seem to back up any conclusion that I could be wrong.   

At the stages of development we have been privy to thus far, it would be a fast pace for them to deliver a 'finished' product by the November/December months, unless they're much further along than they've shown in the videos so far.    If the developer were to commit, unambiguously to a quarter this year (not even a solid date), I think that would go a long way to reassure folks that the game will not be in perpetual development for the next few years as so many other titles fall victim too in their cycles.   However, it is entirely common for games to take years from their public announcement, to any sort of viable release, and I cannot fathom that KSP2 would be any different, unless they're doing something radically different in the development process that no game company has ever done before.  

I wouldn't worry for it though, this just means the game is being tediously worked on, and will be finished and well put together.   As stated above, if they release before 2025, they're well within the normal development time lines for similarly scaled games elsewhere, as 2022 was ambitious, even for being 2 years past their initial call.    In fact, I've never seen a game in the last 20 years that's been developed in less than 2 years or so, and within the last 10, I'd be hard pressed to pull an example of a title that was publicly announced, and then released, within two years, that has a similar scale and depth of physical and graphical modeling that they're attempting here.  

1 hour ago, Bosun said:

Ahres, are you in possession of information that we may have missed?   I would love to be wrong, but going off of the information provided thus far, and the indications that the lack of even an estimated quarter for release are giving us, already almost 3 months in to the year, doesn't seem to back up any conclusion that I could be wrong.   

I've addressed your post. Every single date you've given is verifiably wrong. Your estimates on development time are also wrong, and only applicable to very expensive AAA games. Having worked both at AAA studios and at mid-size studios, I can tell you that the turn around for studios like Intercept is much, much shorter.

Also, while I do not have qualifications to estimate development time for art assets for a game like KSP2, I am very well qualified to estimate engineering effort required to produce a game like that (because that's been part of my job description for the past 3 years or so) and KSP2 appears to be on track for a late 2022 release as far as technical work goes.

1 hour ago, K^2 said:

I am very well qualified to estimate engineering effort required to produce a game like that (because that's been part of my job description for the past 3 years or so) and KSP2 appears to be on track for a late 2022 release

Color me reassured.