Base overheating then returning from suborbital flight.

Now this is an weird one, has an huge base on Minmus. Its work nice plenty of landings from Kerbin, but twice then returning from an suborbital flight with an small lander it overheated so much it blew up.
No I was not in warp until inside of 2.3 km with the small lander that was the first thing I thought about. 

I suspect that KSP messes up calculating heat her as we know it does during warp, and these missions are just flying out, repair and rover or rescue an kerbal before flying back, The entire mission is done in one go. 
Then you return to the base all the heating get added at once. 
Wonder if this theory is correct? 

• 2 weeks later...

If your base has ISRU equipment (drill or converter) that is one likely culprit.  It is a bug.

Sometimes heat-producing equipment like drills or ore converters exhibit a glitch.  When you come within physics range their heat rises rapidly, causing explosions.  This occurs even if your operation has adequate heat controls (radiators).  I have also seen this happen when going to a mining base for the Tracking Station.

Again, it is a bug, and not something you are doing wrong.  To avoid the issue, I try to make sure no drills or converters are active when I switch focus to another vessel or go to the KSC.  That is not ideal, and means you can’t leave ISRU equipment running in the background while you do other things.  

On 2/16/2022 at 5:16 AM, 18Watt said:

If your base has ISRU equipment (drill or converter) that is one likely culprit.  It is a bug.

Sometimes heat-producing equipment like drills or ore converters exhibit a glitch.  When you come within physics range their heat rises rapidly, causing explosions.  This occurs even if your operation has adequate heat controls (radiators).  I have also seen this happen when going to a mining base for the Tracking Station.

Again, it is a bug, and not something you are doing wrong.  To avoid the issue, I try to make sure no drills or converters are active when I switch focus to another vessel or go to the KSC.  That is not ideal, and means you can’t leave ISRU equipment running in the background while you do other things.  

Yes, base has plenty of ISRU, I found out that caused it and its pretty interesting. Coming in from Kerbin or even orbit and I will go to other crafts or to the space center but doing an rover repair tend to be done in one go. 
You fly out repair the rover, drive it to location, then I usually drive back and take back parts then fly back. I suspect that happened is that since I had not been other places the the game dumped all the accumulated heat into the base at load. Solution is to jump to the space center and back before the return flight. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.