I’ve been thinking about music I’ve heard recently while browsing the forums and looking at KSP 2 show and tell highlight videos.

I’m wondering if Intercept will use the music in those show and tell highlight videos, as I really like it (for some reason reminds me of OG Fortnite music (I know FORTNITE CRINGE but that og song went hard)), if they have already decided on a soundtrack, or are open to suggestions. In that case, I would definitely recommend Askerad’s Home.

Does anyone have any information regarding this?

59 minutes ago, Pearx said:

I’ve been thinking about music I’ve heard recently while browsing the forums and looking at KSP 2 show and tell highlight videos.

I’m wondering if Intercept will use the music in those show and tell highlight videos, as I really like it (for some reason reminds me of OG Fortnite music (I know FORTNITE CRINGE but that og song went hard)), if they have already decided on a soundtrack, or are open to suggestions. In that case, I would definitely recommend Askerad’s Home.

They have a composer hired for KSP2. Their name is listed here somewhere on the forum. Mostrom? Bostrom? Something like that. The music from the vids is probably from the composer and will likely be in game.

Found it: Howard Mostrom.

Edited by TLTay

10 hours ago, Pearx said:

Some of the early Show and Tell's include Nate Simpson talking about the soundtrack by Howard Mostrom. What you hear in the S&T's will be in the game. Nate definitely has high praise for it.

Yep, those are snippets from Howard's score for the game. He's doing a great job - we're all really proud of him! Little known fact: he's also a saxophone prodigy! And he's really kind and is probably some kind of angel or something. 

55 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Yep, those are snippets from Howard's score for the game. He's doing a great job - we're all really proud of him! Little known fact: he's also a saxophone prodigy! And he's really kind and is probably some kind of angel or something. 

Thanks for the reply, Nate! I wonder if we will hear any of that saxophone talent in-game…  ;)

Edited by Pearx
Fixed wording

Not to throw shade but there are some periodic rhythmic and tonal dissonances in that "Home" piece that are a bit cloying if you have a musically trained ear.    And it isn't just a matter of preference, assonance is assonance and dissonance is dissonance and the psychological effects are scientifically measurable.  Dissonance can be used artistically, but only if your artistic goal is to make people feel like something is "wrong".  Because our primitive brain parts that music touches involuntarily interpret  dissonance as something broken, crippled, or about to break.  The mathematical structure doesn't click together; it fractures and breaks and threatens to fall apart.  So maybe right before a kraken attack

Edited by darthgently

On 2/8/2022 at 8:58 PM, Pearx said:

I think this is great as a fan made attempt but as a music composer myself, I feel like it gets too “retro-y” if that make sense. I guess it’s kinda what Askerad does. 

All this cool music in the show and tells and other sneak peeks we get sound so cool. I have so many thoughts a questions like if planets or moons will have their own music and if music changes depending on location. I hope the music is more than a randomized playlist of Howard’s amazing music. 

8 hours ago, TruffleSpy said:

I feel like it gets too “retro-y” if that make sense. I guess it’s kinda what Askerad does. 

Oh definitely, this just does not fit anywhere near KSP 2. In fact, I'd say the music better fits Spore.

Edited by Bej Kerman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know a whole lot about the soundtrack for the game, but one idea I would like is for different celestial bodies to have unique themes for reflecting the planet/moon's personality or environment. Don't need to make a new one for every individual celestial body, just enough that each sounds at least somewhat unique. This is kind of what the Original Score Project did for KSP 1, and I really liked how it did it. So I think it would be interesting to see how not only each planet would look, but how it would sound in music form.

49 minutes ago, The Laythean said:

I don't know a whole lot about the soundtrack for the game, but one idea I would like is for different celestial bodies to have unique themes for reflecting the planet/moon's personality or environment. Don't need to make a new one for every individual celestial body, just enough that each sounds at least somewhat unique. This is kind of what the Original Score Project did for KSP 1, and I really liked how it did it. So I think it would be interesting to see how not only each planet would look, but how it would sound in music form.

Building of that idea, you could have dynamic music. Dynamic music has been used masterfully in games like Doom and Doom Eternal. Basicly, every aspect of the music track reflects what is happening in game. This would be great for a game like KSP 2, imagine the music changing as you descend into the atmosphere of Eve. 

On 2/26/2022 at 1:41 PM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

I don't know what I am more excited for, the game or the soundtrack. If their is a "deluxe edition" release of the game, it should come with a copy of the soundtrack. Everything we have heared so far is absolutely stunning!

I love the soundtrack we've heard already, it sounds to me as if Howard Mostrom is doing a fantastic job.

I thought of posting this a while ago, but I thought it might just be me being silly, but I get there's interest in the soundtrack from others as well, so....

How about a special edition, or a deluxe edition, of the game that comes with the soundtrack on vinyl?? A nice coloured vinyl, a glossy booklet with some arty pics of the planets and a ship...

On 2/11/2022 at 12:17 AM, TruffleSpy said:

I think this is great as a fan made attempt but as a music composer myself, I feel like it gets too “retro-y” if that make sense. I guess it’s kinda what Askerad does. 

All this cool music in the show and tells and other sneak peeks we get sound so cool. I have so many thoughts a questions like if planets or moons will have their own music and if music changes depending on location. I hope the music is more than a randomized playlist of Howard’s amazing music. 

TruffleSpy, as you stated you are a music composer I'm going to assume you have some training.  I'm trying to figure out if it is just me or do some of Howard's pieces have some really glaring dissonances in them, especially in the baselines?  There is one piece that plays in the editor featuring a xylophone-ish lead  mostly with a wandering baseline that just about blows my subwoofer even at low volume the baseline bi-tone or tri-tone dissonance is so blatant.  I'm honestly trying to figure out if it is just a problem with my musical ear, or a real thing.  I really like his music overall, I'm just hoping that if I'm not imagining or mishearing that some of these can be remastered for KSP2

On 3/10/2022 at 1:44 PM, darthgently said:

TruffleSpy, as you stated you are a music composer I'm going to assume you have some training.  I'm trying to figure out if it is just me or do some of Howard's pieces have some really glaring dissonances in them, especially in the baselines?  There is one piece that plays in the editor featuring a xylophone-ish lead  mostly with a wandering baseline that just about blows my subwoofer even at low volume the baseline bi-tone or tri-tone dissonance is so blatant.  I'm honestly trying to figure out if it is just a problem with my musical ear, or a real thing.  I really like his music overall, I'm just hoping that if I'm not imagining or mishearing that some of these can be remastered for KSP2

Hey Darthgently, I’m not a professional but I do have quite a bit of musical training as well as composition experience myself.  Maybe I can take a listen this if you give me the link or a reference to a video? Did you hear this in a specific show and tell video or in one of the feature videos?

57 minutes ago, TruffleSpy said:

Hey Darthgently, I’m not a professional but I do have quite a bit of musical training as well as composition experience myself.  Maybe I can take a listen this if you give me the link or a reference to a video? Did you hear this in a specific show and tell video or in one of the feature videos?

Thanks TruffleSpy, I've found the piece I'm thinking of, it is Brittle Rille by Kevin MacLeod and is typically played in the VAB when building craft.  Maybe it is more an artifact of how the game delivers the track because every mix of it I find on the internet sounds better, but in the VAB the dissonance glares when some of the higher range bass notes overlap with the "glockenspielish/xylophonish" melody in what I think is after the upward key shift in the section where the bass goes up an octave a few times and the higher note is just sour on its own, or dissonant with the melody, not sure.  If I had to guess, the bass was fretless and the bassist was off a smidge maybe.  My gaming machine is down right now so can't verify.  It really isn't a big deal, more of a reality check because so many people love that music and I have to turn the volume down very low whenever it comes up.  So, a mystery

Here is a good sounding version of it (first track) which I am about certain isn't the same mix as in the game as of 1.10.x as it sounds very good over the same sound system

Edited by darthgently

3 hours ago, darthgently said:

Thanks TruffleSpy, I've found the piece I'm thinking of, it is Brittle Rille by Kevin MacLeod and is typically played in the VAB when building craft.  Maybe it is more an artifact of how the game delivers the track because every mix of it I find on the internet sounds better, but in the VAB the dissonance glares when some of the higher range bass notes overlap with the "glockenspielish/xylophonish" melody in what I think is after the upward key shift in the section where the bass goes up an octave a few times and the higher note is just sour on its own, or dissonant with the melody, not sure.  If I had to guess, the bass was fretless and the bassist was off a smidge maybe.  My gaming machine is down right now so can't verify.  It really isn't a big deal, more of a reality check because so many people love that music and I have to turn the volume down very low whenever it comes up.  So, a mystery

Here is a good sounding version of it (first track) which I am about certain isn't the same mix as in the game as of 1.10.x as it sounds very good over the same sound system

This is a bit puzzling, especially because you mentioned how you tend to notice the dissonance in the game. I think there still dissonance in the piece since it’s also a bit of a “jazz-ie” piece. Here’s my best analysis right now, but I’ll dig into it with my keyboard tomorrow:

I believe the lead instrument some kind of vibraphone. It’s possible it was played with harder mallets with way less yarn than usual making that xylophone-ish sound. The bass in this sounds like a double-bass typically used is symphony orchestras or jazz bands. Like most symphony stringed instruments, these don’t have frets so there is a possibility that the bassist played a microtone but this in this case it’s unlikely that this is actually what you think you’re hearing. From what I’m hearing your probably hearing dissonance, and it’s most likely a tritone.

For simplicity let’s say it’s in the key of C, (I can’t check right now since I don’t have my keyboard on me). What you’re hearing is probably the double-bass playing their high F, still assuming this is in the key of C, while the vibraphone is playing a C and whatever other notes their playing in the chord. This would create a tritone or a Cmaj11 chord (C major 11th) assuming every note is covered by the vibraphone or another instrument (which it isn’t). The vibraphone and the bass are maybe playing some variation of the Cmaj11 chord but I’ll really have to check this and look into it more tomorrow when I have my keyboard.

Anyways that’s my best explanation as of the moment. I’d also probably be able to deduce something better if you could give me a time stamp, and once I figure this out on the keyboard, but that’s still my best explanation. 

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favorite pieces of KSP2 music is at the end of the Celestial Bodies feature. It has an almost retro sounding instrument in the background as the sounds of leaves rustling is played, and the main “instrument” is this weird wind sound. It’s probably the strangest sounding piece so far and I love it. I really hope they release the soundtrack on Spotify and Apple Music. 

You know what i'd want? I'd want them to keep some of the royalty free music in, like the theme song, and REMiX it to the ground. Just so it would have much more of the ksp feel to it.