• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 4:53 PM, t_v said:

It has been confirmed that missions can be automated- fly them once and in some capacity they will be repeated on a schedule. 

The question (at least for me) is whether this will manifest in the form of automatically delivered resources, or if there will be actual automated ships flying through space.

The latter would be cooler, but also more complex, since if the automated ship is only following your own flight plan, then it can only launch when all relevant celestial bodies are in the exact same position as the original mission. You might need to launch multiple missions at different times of day/year (depending on where your destination is) to ensure a steady supply of resources.

Having a bunch of automated ships flying around also seems like it could seriously increase lag, but I don't know a lot about coding, so it's possible this isn't the case (or that the devs have a solution in mind).

100% I would prefer seeing ships and space traffic. And of course they should have the same flight plan that you had when you first did the mission - if you want something faster or better you do the flight again improving the ship and course (and now you would probably have 2 ships doing transports). But I think it's important to automate transports not just for rockets, but any type of vehicle we design. I would not worry about lag except if you crash into that automated transport. Other than that it could be on rails with only the external image rendered. Other games solve the issue by making objects non-interactive (you fly through them). Same kind of issue should be solved for multiplayer.

Edited by Vl3d

On 2/23/2022 at 6:32 PM, Vl3d said:

I would not worry about lag except if you crash into that automated transport. Other than that it could be on rails with only the external image rendered. Other games solve the issue by making objects non-interactive (you fly through them). Same kind of issue should be solved for multiplayer.

Bad idea. Just simulate the rocket as a single part, then actually punish the player for destroying the rocket by ruining colony happiness, and of course not letting the player take the resources from the shipment.