What did you make for dinner?

JoeSchmuckatelli

4 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of math fans suddenly ate pie.

Cherry pie for us!

My oldest is always going on about Pi Day. Every time we have pie he will mention it at least once. Amusingly, today I had to remind him.

Daughter and I made seared ahi tuna with some black sesame seeds/salt. A salad of wilted spinach with a sesame/soy/mirin dressing, and some quick mini cucumber pickles (similar Asian taste profile, but with some spice). Steamed rice, obviously.

Not dinner, but we decided to get rid of a Costco bag of almonds that been languishing in the cupboard by making almond milk. A LOT of almond milk. It was a Costco bag, after all...

E: like over 5 liters of the stuff. I'd make yogurt with it, but as far as Google can tell me, I need a non-dairy starter culture...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

• 9 months later...

Broke out the instapot for the first time in forever.  Speaking of which - that's how long it was taking to get up to pressure. 

Had to stop, remove the lid, replace the seal.  Started up again, and finally got the seal & pressure. 

Just a few more minutes to find out if 15 bean soup with country ham worked out. 

Wife made cabbage rolls for the first time in probably a year. For the ground pork, we ground up some whole pork tenderloin from Costco. It was delicious, much better than last time. Might have been the tenderloin, might have just been because she doesn't follow a recipe, just wings it from what she learned at her mom's side as a kid. Now we just need to decide what to do with the rest of the tenderloin...

48 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

. @JoeSchmuckatelli let us know how your 15 bean and country ham soup turned out :) 

Wife and daughter went back for seconds. 

...after saying they weren't really hungry on the way to the table. 

I really like the way 15 bean soup comes out of the Instapot.  Unlike the crock, the beans still have texture.   Peppers and onions almost invisible while the carrots and celery were perfect. 

FWIW - I added a tblsp & cornstarch after cooking to thicken it a bit.   Gud times. 

Edit - about the only thing I might have done differently was to hold the pepper until I was ready to cook.  This time I tossed them in with the onion, celery and carrots during the sauté

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

Yeah, our multi-cooker gets used almost every day. Chili, yogurt, pea soup, sous vide chicken for future use. Wife experimented trying to cook the cabbage in it yesterday, oops, too long, mush. Had to go buy more today...

E: Chicken in the bottom, rice on the rack above....

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Now we just need to decide what to do with the rest of the tenderloin...

If it's actually pork loin, Peameal Bacon.  If it's tenderloin- breaded fried pork tenderloin sandwiches.

Cabbage rolls is one of my favorite foods!

51 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Wife and daughter went back for seconds. 

...after saying they weren't really hungry on the way to the table. 

I really like the way 15 bean soup comes out of the Instapot.  Unlike the crock, the beans still have texture.   Peppers and onions almost invisible while the carrots and celery were perfect. 

FWIW - I added a tblsp & cornstarch after cooking to thicken it a bit.   Gud times. 

Edit - about the only thing I might have done differently was to hold the pepper until I was ready to cook.  This time I tossed them in with the onion, celery and carrots during the sauté

Sounds like a hearty meal! You could do half the veg on saute and then add the remaining in at a later stage for texture. But id say it comes down to preferences. 

A few months ago, I made some food from my Star Wars cookbook. I think it was near Thanksgiving, so I was at my parent's house. We made it, and it was basically gnocchi with pistachio avocado sauce on it. It was pretty good, but super heavy (food-wise), and I threw up within 30 minutes of cleaning my plate. I may or may not be allergic to pistachios because of this. I also got my mom a set of cookbooks made my a YouTuber named Joshua Weissman.

I just made a simple dinner. Baked 2 potatoes (400° for 60 min) then skinned them, put the skinned potatoes into a bowl, added some sour cream, shredded kraft mexican blend cheese and butter. Mixed it together and enjoyed. Super simple but so oddly satisfying.

On 1/18/2024 at 9:47 PM, Superfluous J said:

We made lasagna tonight so I have a food baby right now.

My wife made some sort of pastabake; penne, groundboef and chez.  Probably something else.

My 16yo grabbed a huge platefull and my inner competitor stepped up to the plate.

Fuud coma ensued.

• 3 weeks later...

Thing #3 is in the kitchen making chicken and dumplings for dinner tonight. Yesterday Thing #2 made galumpkis (cabbage rolls). (He did have supervision.) The wife and I have decided that our children will not be allowed to leave the house without the ability to cook for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

For Valentine's Day (I invited my mother-in-law over as well, father-in-law died in October) I made steak au poivre, crispy smashed potatoes (boil fingerlings, dry then smoosh them, add some oil/salt, roast til crispy), and mushroom soup—with a nice, Earthquake zin.