Graphics Card Requirements/Limits for KSP2

TruffleSpy

38 minutes ago, Lijazos said:

I haven't really ever followed these kind of information towards the launch of a game.

Funny, it's my first time also. Never preordered, never followed a release. Guess this is why I'm so impatient. I've never been burned.

Elden Ring got specs published 1 week before launch.

well i have a gtx 1660 ti, which is just a rtx with ray tracing tech removed and overall less powerful. I am thinking is more similar to KSP 1 with additional graphics mods 

• 8 months later...

Im really worry about the VRAM, since NVIDIA stuffing the entry level laptop with the bloody hell 4GB VRAM 3050ti,wich is what i bought,i think that the high graphic setting on KSP2 will trash my game.

Edited by jebycheek

Some of the vusuals features we've seen are VRAM hungry, but hopefully, Intercept will give us an option to tune these down or disable them. I don't think there's a reason to go for 4GB min spec here.

• 4 weeks later...

These are not really that reasonable, also why is it needing 45GB of space for a start, are we looking at space being taken up with un-optimised textures? good to see that it seems to work on more than a single core, but disk and GPU are going to be a pain for a lot of people and exclude a lot that currently run on laptops

1 hour ago, Christopher M said:

are we looking at space being taken up with un-optimised textures?

No, probably a ton of high resolution textures. If you look at Restock, BDB, any of the Wild Blue mods, they have really high texture quality. High texture quality equals really large image files.

Uh, wow... Wasn't it mentioned at some point that one of the improvements over KSP1 would be better optimization?.. Because KSP1 can basically run on a potato, if you turn the graphics to minimum and keep your part counts low... (Source: In the past, I've played KSP1 on a tiny old-fashioned Windows 7 netbook. No, it wasn't pretty, but it was still fun...)

1 hour ago, Multivac said:

Uh, wow... Wasn't it mentioned at some point that one of the improvements over KSP1 would be better optimization?.. Because KSP1 can basically run on a potato,

So. Ksp has a minimum requirement of 512mb vram (listed on steam, not sure if that is still accurate based on how KSP has changed over the years. And definitely wouldn't handle many graphics mods) and was first available in 2011. At the time, the 8600GT was a 5 year old card that cost $200 at release and only just met that requirement. 

Now in 2023, the minimum is the RTX 2060, a 4 year old card that cost $350 at release.

Not all that different really with how prices have increased. Today's upper-mid gaming pc is tomorrow's potato.

Edited by SolarAdmiral

2 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

My GPU isnt up to snuff... but the 45GB install is  going to be more of an issue for me.

I wouldn't worry too much. They always over allocate storage for future updates and dlc. My guess, is that the 60 GBs is the finished product size. As of right now, the real size is probably closer to 15 to 25 gigs is my guess. 

My modded KSP install is about 25 gigs right now, without planet packs, but I run Parallax, EVE and other visual mods on ultra. 

8 minutes ago, KalleHeHa said:

All my specs just reach recommended except my graphics card is a gtx1660, I'm scared, will I be able to run it?

A 1660 is more or less a 2060 without ray tracing. Even if it were significantly worse, I'm sure you could crank down the resolution and get acceptable frame rates. I'm thinking you'll be quite all right

Edited by whatsEJstandfor

14 minutes ago, KalleHeHa said:

All my specs just reach recommended except my graphics card is a gtx1660, I'm scared, will I be able to run it?

Yes. Minimum specs is kind of a misnomer. It should be called Minimally Recommended Specs. KSP 2 will run for you, even if you have below the minimum specs. How well it will run is up in the air. the 2060 might be an over allocation of power on Intercepts part. Could be that they have only tested as low as a 2060 since they either don't have anything below that on hand or they didn't get to testing anything else due to the time constraints. 

If I can run KSP with the graphics settings turned down without a GPU, I'm fairly sure I can run KSP2 with the graphics settings turned down with a GPU that has so far handled every other game I've tried it with, without too many issues. The "minimum" specs are for 1080p; turn your resolution down and limit the frame rate and you might find it works just fine on less capable hardware.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Could be that they have only tested as low as a 2060 since they either don't have anything below that on hand or they didn't get to testing anything else due to the time constraints. 

I was about to make a joke about that being the issue, it's actually more funny when it is used as a real argument. ;)

So... 

There is always the possibility that you could get a refund from Steam if you purchase and the game is unplayable on your setup - you have two hours of playtime to make that decision.  If it won't load, or constantly crashes then it should be obvious that your specs are coping. 

That's my plan if the game is unplayable due to hardware issues. 

I'm going to buy it anyway.  I had expected to want, or need, to upgrade my PC before long so if it won't run then I have it ready for when I do.

I will endeavour to post here with my experience and current specs in case  it help anyone else.

I can't believe I'm looking for a 6800 XT on the basis of delivery date over price but here we are.

And here we go, it'll be here Tuesday lol.  It was time though, my RX 570 has been great but it's over 4 years old at this point.

Edited by Dinkledash
Pulled the trigger on Amazon

39 minutes ago, Dinkledash said:

I can't believe I'm looking for a 6800 XT on the basis of delivery date over price but here we are.

And here we go, it'll be here Tuesday lol.  It was time though, my RX 570 has been great but it's over 4 years old at this point.

Was it priced lower than a 3070 in your zone too?

That exactly the reason I've pulled the trigger on a 6800XT a few months back.