Blockchain and KSP2

Poodmund

Blockchain and KSP2  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question here: Would you want anything blockchain related finding its way into KSP2, at release or further down the line?

• Yes
    • I do not care either way
    • No

17 hours ago, Master39 said:

Yep, what you said is obvious and leaves no space for subtlety:

I was arguing that, if you start to say that no, not all game with real money interactions are scam then we're on the same page.

I love additional content. If anything there's far to little in most games. What I wrote it the first post is not really clear. I honestly hope ksp 2 will have way more dlc as long as the base game is functional. 

Adding NFTs to KSP 2 would be the worst thing I could possibly imagine. Like, worse than breaking the base game up into expensive DLCs and endless microtransactions bad. Do the people who want that crap in video games even understand why video games are fun? Does it compute for them that there might be reasons to do things other than getting more money? It's disgusting. I don't want to play a speculative slot machine-like stock market, I want to get into orbit.

FDIuTpqWQAER7Zw?format=png&name=medium

Edited by Wubslin

1 hour ago, Wubslin said:

Do the people who want that crap in video games even understand why video games are fun?

Based on my direct experience with marketing and finance people working in video games space, absolutely not. This doesn't go for absolutely everyone, of course, and majority of them by far aren't bad people or anything. They're just hopelessly disconnected from the product they are trying to sell. It's like one of these Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercials, except with real people.

8 hours ago, K^2 said:

Based on my direct experience with marketing and finance people working in video games space, absolutely not. This doesn't go for absolutely everyone, of course, and majority of them by far aren't bad people or anything. They're just hopelessly disconnected from the product they are trying to sell. It's like one of these Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercials, except with real people.

Bro what even was that omg

21 hours ago, K^2 said:

There is a reason that should have been forgotten.  And darn you to heck for making us remember!

If this is even being vaguely considered by the development team, that's a very bad sign. Blockchain as a technology should frankly be abolished, the electricity requirements are ludicrously high to the point that fossil fuel power plants are being ramped up and reopened when they should be being shut down and phased out. You'd have to be a climate change denialist to think there's any merit to blockchain, or to anything else that has vast and exponentially-increasing power requirements by design. It is horrifying that this wildly unethical technology is being shoehorned into every possible situation for the sake of enriching shareholders that care nothing for the environment.

2 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

There is a reason that should have been forgotten.  And darn you to heck for making us remember!

I honestly almost forgot myself, and when I saw the year, I realized why. But that's also why I had to share. Some forumers here are too young to have seen these when they aired! I simply had to inflict it on younger generations.

Sound like an plan 

NFT are pointless , yes NFT could have work for stuff like tickets or simply an token saying you supported an good case, you donated 100 dollars and you get this token to show off. 
But its burned by scammers pulling very obvious scams towards other  "investors" who are mostly scammers themselves but want to get in to sell high before the rugpull. 
It has no utility in games with in game shops and an in game economy like any MMO and you can obviously not transfer items like weapons or even cosmetic between games as they don't work the same way. 
It has some utility like showing how the Disney star wars was not the worst idea ever. 

There is a problem with the NFT - developers and especially publishers want more money because they love money. And they are constantly developing something new in order to get more money. Remember how everyone was outraged because of the lootboxes? Instead, they came up with a season passes. Now they are implementing the NFT. Just imagine what a nightmare awaits us AFTER the NFT?!

Actually NFTs could be a way OUT of the lootbox problem, because you literally can't sell the same thing over and over with an NFT, you have to make a new thing every time you make a new NFT, right? Granted, you could make it so that it "looks the same but isn't" by using algorithms to make the textures for the thing scrambled just enough to show up by data analysis but not enough to show up to any but those with the keenest color sense on the best monitors, but that's probably too technical for major games publishers to implement correctly. (EDIT: And by that point you could just lie about the fact and change literally nothing and probably get away with it scott-free for the majority of the game's sales anyways, for all the difference it would make to the user experience).

I mean, these days the game developers for AAA titles seem to have enough problems releasing a complete game when they say they're going to (and by "complete", I mean "playable with no egregious bugs", not whatever passes for "complete" these days where you usually have to wait 6 months for the game to even remotely approach a playable state if it was ever going to be released "on a schedule even if it's not ready", which is the fate of most popular FPS games these days.
That's why I never pre-order games anymore.

Early Access is fine, because at least then you're TELLING the people who buy it that it's not finished. What's NOT fine, is having a day one driver update to support your new video game, and then the game STILL crashing every 5 minutes and being chock-full of gameplay bugs and exploits on top of that. I'm looking very directly at you, EA Games, with your Battlefield 4 launch. I've heard that BF2042 wasn't much different, and I refused to buy that game. Learned my lesson the first time.

So, IMO, NFTs are a technology that should be shied away from by games developers for the simple reason that they're already trying to do too much with their games, too fast, and the slipshod nature of their work that results is showing, so adding a requirement to accommodate EVEN MORE features on top of that seems a bridge too far indeed.

Edited by SciMan

I don't even CARE whatever the hell it is, blockchains are genuinely impossible to optimize, simply because you'd have to decrypt the WHOLE thing every time you wanted to use it. KSP2 having them would mean they would have to be used exceedingly sparingly, or just not used at all if they wanted to achieve higher framerates and less resource load than KSP1.

Besides, what even would be the use? I'm someone who thinks NFTs could have a reasonable use for a few situations, and even I think you couldn't find something useful for this technology, in terms of KSP2.

Edited by Missingno200
I somehow left my last sentence on my first "paragraph" incomplete. And left a "very" in from when it used to read something along the lines of "I'm a supporter of NFTs for a few very specific situations".

On 2/23/2022 at 6:17 AM, septemberWaves said:

If this is even being vaguely considered by the development team, that's a very bad sign. Blockchain as a technology should frankly be abolished, the electricity requirements are ludicrously high to the point that fossil fuel power plants are being ramped up and reopened when they should be being shut down and phased out. You'd have to be a climate change denialist to think there's any merit to blockchain, or to anything else that has vast and exponentially-increasing power requirements by design. It is horrifying that this wildly unethical technology is being shoehorned into every possible situation for the sake of enriching shareholders that care nothing for the environment.

I agree if you are talking about BTC, which has nothing to do other than keeping it or sending it to someone else. ETH is also a bad choice because it will take 10 years to go energy efficient.
But there are some alternative block chains that are carbon neutral,  and energy efficient. I think as long as it doesn't harm our world, and as long as it's not a 69 million dollar NFT robbery, ownnership of the in-game assets for players is not the worst thing ever. Also, the games could always been off-chain but can be transferred to on-chain when/if you want to sell that item to someone else.

Items have been sold by the game studios themselves and by the players in black markets for so long, so this is not something new. The thing is that, this "new tech" should make gamers life easier without robbing them :D Let's see it's evolution to that stage in the coming years.