I feel the need, the need for speed!

After taking into account the wisdom of the last post I have created this-

https://imgur.com/a/vAMcB4I

I know she is small but she can reach a top speed of 1842 M/s before the wings disintegrate. That leads me to the present, the craft is far too unstable at those high speeds, and the pre-engine coolers are the first to be destroyed at those speeds. This is mainly because the plane likes to pull up but is highly responsive at the hypersonic speed she is moving at, so I am dammed if I correct and dammed if I don't. 

The issue with the Big S-2 elevons I am using as wings also need to be dealt with. I tried to fit heat shields in front of and in the middle of the wing but that seemingly does nothing.

Here is the craft file for you to experiment or have fun with.(I made a few upgrades since those screenshots were taken.)

https://kerbalx.com/JetGoFast/S-34

If anyone finds a solution it would be very appreciated if you could describe that you did the comments below. 

Thank you,

-guy

Just now, JetGoFast said:

I tried to fit heat shields in front of and in the middle of the wing but that seemingly does nothing.

Heat shields in front of the wings? That doesn't sound like something I'd recommend, also because it adds a lot of drag (and your craft seems to already have a lot of drag). Maybe you should attempt another design.

9 hours ago, JetGoFast said:

After taking into account the wisdom of the last post I have created this-

https://imgur.com/a/vAMcB4I

I know she is small but she can reach a top speed of 1842 M/s before the wings disintegrate. That leads me to the present, the craft is far too unstable at those high speeds, and the pre-engine coolers are the first to be destroyed at those speeds. This is mainly because the plane likes to pull up but is highly responsive at the hypersonic speed she is moving at, so I am dammed if I correct and dammed if I don't. 

The issue with the Big S-2 elevons I am using as wings also need to be dealt with. I tried to fit heat shields in front of and in the middle of the wing but that seemingly does nothing.

Here is the craft file for you to experiment or have fun with.(I made a few upgrades since those screenshots were taken.)

https://kerbalx.com/JetGoFast/S-34

If anyone finds a solution it would be very appreciated if you could describe that you did the comments below. 

Thank you,

-guy

if you press caps lock, you'll see the gauges on the lower left window become blue. that makes them a lot less sensitive. I use that setting to drive rovers at high speed, where the normally responsive controls would flip them. it could help you with too responsive controls too

You can probably get a bit faster by exploiting KSP's aerodynamics system, but ultimately unless you're making an SSTO there's going to be a practical limit to how fast you can go, that limit being heat.

The stock game only really has heat shields for dealing with atmospheric heating in flight. As others have pointed out, those cause a lot of drag and will slow you down. SSTO spaceplanes (which also go very fast) handle heat basically by just dealing with it while they climb out of the atmosphere until they can reach space and start radiating it away, but if you're not going to space you won't have that opportunity.  Maybe you should let that plane climb as it runs up to speed and add some oxidizer for the closed cycle mode of those rapiers. You'll find that plane is actually a spaceship.

You can limit or completely disable the control authority of those elevons you're using as wings by right-clicking them.  Their responsiveness is a function of speed and surface area, since they're the biggest control surfaces in the game and you're going so fast it's only natural that the plane gets a little touchy. You can set them to an action group and probably just control the plane with the cockpit's reaction wheels at high speed.

If you're interested in cheesing the aero system to go even faster, it may be of interest to you that 2 service bays clipped into each other experience no drag or heating at all at any speed. Clip an engine half inside and you can go as fast as you want. You can also get a lot of aero-cheese mileage out of clipping and offsetting stuff into fairings to achieve unrealistic reductions of drag.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.