Internet of things

Hi team,

First time I'm writing in this section.

Like the title says... at the time of Internet of things, think about this:

With a Settlement in place on a foreign planet/moon.

A little scout mission on the ground is triggered

Course planned with a Rover.

Some Analysers are dropped on a specific location.

What would be the network route for these little babies to communicate ?

I would love to see some features around communication, inspired by the largely deployed consumers estate type of devices :)

I would've always liked if it were possible to transmit data to a remote vessel instead of directly to the KSC, that way other vessels could store the data and take it to a position that's more ideal for transmission.

Like sending a written letter instead of an email?

Later edit: I thought about it and we should differentiate between science data (just information that can be transmitted through coms network) and science samples. I don't see the point of mixing the two. If you want to do research in a lab you need the samples (raw science) - so you have to physically move it from one place to another. This (transporting samples) can also be done if you want to send it to another vessel for better transmission. But what is the point of uploading / downloading the science data (mits) between vessels? You can just send it home through relays and get the science points.

Edited by Vl3d

Science is another portion.

Communication starts to be involved for Remote Control and monitoring. This is the very early value of it.

Differenciation should be made using the concept of "Internet of things" whereas this network is providing capabilities for actions (less delay along with tech progression etc...)

After that it can be leverages for Science data transmission, and even though, send readings of Samples (with less value because not transported)

Having said that, building a local network, routed to Gateways makes sense because of the environment which can sometimes be very far, or just having some constraints.

Diving in the concept of Internet of things may bring little aparatus with specific tasks and setup which can greaty complexify a mission, but gives it a unique outcome.

Edited by Demcrew