Full Compatibility Patch WIP, Assistance needed

As you have probably know from the title I am working on a compatibility patch for MKS EL KPBS and OSE. I have most of the changes completed and have figured out that I could just run them through patch manager rather than needing to overwrite original configs. In this way it can also be completely optional but I'm not sure how to separate the patch into its own thing as I started by using the patch OSE.cfg in MKS, but I also noticed that MKS has a Patch Manager setup for EL so I started moving my changes over to the Patch Manager method so as stated before there would be no need to overwrite the original configs in their respective folders. To get more to my point would I be able to make my own mod folder to put into GameData and let Patch Manager make the changes from my folder rather than having to go through the folders of these other mods. It would contain the configs for part changes, the custom decals I made for the OSE containers, a ReadMe documenting all the changes (will probably also need help understanding licensing and requirements to even publish this) . It would use the Patch Manager folder structure as detailed in the MKS patches.

If you create an appropriate module manager patch, you can place it in your own folder and it will make adjustments to .cfg files elsewhere as directed.

Since you are only distributing the patch and your own original work, you could release it under any license you choose.

If you include any portion of the existing mods then you must adhere to their licensing requirements.

@zer0Kerbal may be a good resource for you here.

Thank you @Randazzo for thinking of me.

Everything above I probably can help with - just not Patch Manager, which I have a -/+ relationship with. Haven't spent any time working out how to write patches for it since I dread the UI, but like the concept.

Use GitHub to make sure the mod is visible (a requirement of publishing here) and it really does help with people contributing as well.

https://choosealicense.com/

disclaimer: am not providing legal advice. Also, Module Manager patches, and Patch Manager Configuration files are not considered software. You can also have a separate license for art assets - even if it is different than the primary license. 

18 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

If you include any portion of the existing mods then you must adhere to their licensing requirements.

this is true - and where it gets complicated. (IMHO)

@linuxgurugameris the one to ask about writing configs for Patch Manager

Readme's are simple and should remain so (even mine are simple, yet beautiful :sob::rolleyes: )

GitHub flavored markdown

Spoiler
# Mod Name

## by DSG Cubik

# Lorem Ipsum
## by DSG Cubik

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
"There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nullam ultricies, tellus non tristique pretium, diam ipsum tempus elit, varius hendrerit nisi lorem non nisl. Nam consequat malesuada diam vel feugiat. Duis tincidunt auctor odio et cursus. Fusce ullamcorper diam leo, non pretium augue consequat sit amet. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Nullam diam lorem, sollicitudin dapibus magna vitae, hendrerit mattis sapien. Nam fringilla, erat dictum dapibus consectetur, tortor orci convallis erat, malesuada mollis sapien ipsum quis odio. Ut at leo finibus, gravida mauris nec, blandit enim. Vestibulum placerat vel ipsum vel scelerisque. Suspendisse eget maximus augue, vitae interdum ex. Donec nunc ipsum, gravida eu suscipit at, porttitor eget massa. Duis feugiat dui sit amet eros volutpat dictum. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas.

Mauris mattis sapien urna, quis egestas dui eleifend in. Vestibulum laoreet pharetra lacinia. Sed vel fermentum massa. Morbi magna ex, condimentum quis arcu ut, tempus pharetra nunc. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Sed id diam lorem. Integer porttitor felis at neque consequat ultricies. Pellentesque ut arcu quis lectus fringilla dignissim. Sed ut nunc fermentum, sagittis nulla nec, ullamcorper diam. Praesent sagittis porta accumsan. Donec vitae nisi a est dictum facilisis. Mauris leo ex, fringilla id tempor vel, malesuada nec erat. Nam ac rutrum massa.

Etiam commodo interdum massa, sed sodales ante porttitor ac. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Integer id eleifend dolor, posuere dictum erat. Etiam aliquet ornare ligula, sed rhoncus libero mollis id. Suspendisse potenti. Cras in nulla eget nunc ullamcorper consectetur suscipit at urna. Curabitur interdum ex vel ornare accumsan. Mauris tempus tincidunt pulvinar. Ut in aliquam nisl. Suspendisse eget neque vel ligula hendrerit pulvinar. Vivamus maximus scelerisque tincidunt. Etiam tortor diam, aliquet non tincidunt et, posuere et nulla.

Mauris malesuada volutpat cursus. Donec sollicitudin hendrerit ante, imperdiet auctor turpis feugiat in. Pellentesque laoreet at arcu vel consequat. Sed venenatis rhoncus sem a eleifend. Phasellus molestie facilisis magna, non aliquam urna pharetra bibendum. Aliquam quis purus tortor. Quisque vulputate vitae sapien dictum tincidunt. Donec sollicitudin posuere condimentum. Mauris eget augue nec tortor suscipit sollicitudin. Aliquam non urna in mi venenatis aliquet ut ut nisl. Fusce malesuada odio eget enim porttitor tempus. Nam tincidunt erat pretium, mattis purus sit amet, egestas justo. Donec suscipit odio quis hendrerit vulputate.

Suspendisse at velit mattis, gravida est id, aliquam sapien. In in diam nibh. Nullam erat justo, faucibus eu porta vel, volutpat et mi. Nam id neque in arcu porttitor congue. Curabitur cursus magna eget lorem viverra, sed tempor tellus dapibus. Curabitur pretium ultrices erat eu vehicula. Mauris congue lorem et augue laoreet vestibulum dignissim at erat. Donec diam erat, mollis ut gravida nec, vulputate non urna

Pics or no clicks

Source: link

Download: link

Download: link

insert wittism here

License here

License Link

Thank You @RandazzoI highly appreciate the info and insight, on the note of using a part of the other mods causing licensing issues would having MODULE USI_Converter or any text/definition used in the original mod inside my configs be considered as use of the originals assets?

Thank You as well @zer0Kerbal I'm taking the time to create and setup a github account for the patch and possible future content as suggested, I also took a look at the licensing info page and I assume the way I would like others to be able to possibly add or change the configs like having a different setting  to use  would put my choice on CC0 public domain? Also Thank You for the ReadMe template I had almost forgot about including any info about the most important stuff. 

3 hours ago, DSG Cubik said:

Thank You @RandazzoI highly appreciate the info and insight, on the note of using a part of the other mods causing licensing issues would having MODULE USI_Converter or any text/definition used in the original mod inside my configs be considered as use of the originals assets?

No, simply having a module node in a .cfg file or patch does not constitute distributing the original mod. In fact, patches like these are the way many mods can continue to be used even when they are very restrictively licensed and abandoned. Since the original mod itself is not being distributed, there is no licensing violation.

Edit: But if you find yourself worrying over it, you could always politely ask Roverdude for permission and understand that he may be very busy.

Edited by Randazzo

Thank You, that really helps and I think like you said I'll bring it to his attention (and respect he may not have very much time to respond) and give full disclosure of whats included so if there's anything that might be in question he can make the final decision. Also I reorganized everything to a dedicated mod folder as suggested (hopefully correctly structured will be running tests soon :/)that should hold this and any future projects.

Thanks @zer0KerbalI'm doing some revisions in the configs to try to make it where it doesn't depend on anything so if an accidental install happens it stays null and void, and will only be active (meaning you could apply them but are not activated by default) if Patch Manager is installed and only show the patches that would be applicable to the mods the user has installed. I'm hoping that this system works the way I think it does :confused:

9 hours ago, DSG Cubik said:

Thanks @zer0KerbalI'm doing some revisions in the configs to try to make it where it doesn't depend on anything so if an accidental install happens it stays null and void, and will only be active (meaning you could apply them but are not activated by default) if Patch Manager is installed and only show the patches that would be applicable to the mods the user has installed. I'm hoping that this system works the way I think it does :confused:

:NEEDS[] is a very powerful tool for Module Manager patches :D

:science:

Thank you all again for all the info. I've tested everything out and it looks ready to go, I have a github repo setup now and I'll be moving it public soon so it can be downloaded and looked over for errors or anything and taking your advice I tried to make the readme as smooth on the eyes  :confused:  as possible. will work on getting a better understanding of all the features available. Hopefully everything is in working order and only maintenance is needed now I'll drop a link as soon I get it over if anyone was interested in it, also I'm still not sure how the ksp.com and github linking will work I assume I open an addon topic here linking the repo, and CKAN I have no clue about but I will attempt to research some info to be more familiar with it.

I finally got it all worked out and got it transferred to public it's here https://github.com/DSG-Cubik/DSGC-AIO-Patch also is there a way to show its been cleaned and its safe to use, I guess kinda like Nexus mods where it displays it was scanned and shown to be free from any bad stuff? Or does that not really matter for things like an image and text config that aren't executables

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.