M.O.T.H.S. Development Thread

AtomicTech

Discussion/Suggestion Thread for  M.O.T.H.S.

@Randazzo (Production/Conceptual/Testing Modeler),  [snip] @benjee10 (Modeling Assistance), @AtomicTech (Engine and Part Programmer), @MatterBeam (STR Knowledge Guru)

M.O.T.H.S. is an acronym for:

--> Modular

--> Operation of

--> Thermal

tecHnologies

with

--> Solar heating

M.O.T.H.S. is a mod for Kerbal Space Program that uses ModuleManager to replicate a Solar Thermal Rocket Engine System similar to the Solar Moth concept.

Requirements:
-Latest Version of Module Manager.

-Latest Verion of Community Resource Pack.

Optional (Waterfall):
-Latest Version of Waterfall.

-Latest Version of Stock Waterfall Effects.

Roadmap:
-Add Waterfall Support

-Make Preliminary Parts and Tweak Performance to stay within a stock but interstellar scale.

-Add Laser Thermal Parts.

-Make Double Scale Parts for much larger exploration.

-Add RealFuels Support.

-Add Support for Nertea's WasteHeat System.

-Add Alternative Skins for all Parts.

-Add Support for RSS/RO Scale.

-Add Triple Scale Parts.

Hi folks-- just a gentle reminder that download links for mods need to follow the add-on posting rules.

In particular, please pay careful attention to the requirements of licensing:

On 1/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, Frybert said:

1. Licenses

1. All add-ons, dependencies and packs that are posted on the services maintained by Squad that serve the KSP Community (such as this forum and Curse) must be accompanied by a license for each add-on contained therein, that regulates what other users can do with the copyrighted material.
  2. The full text of the license must be made available in the download as a license file.
  3. The license type must also be clearly identified in any forum post that includes a download link, and in the location the user downloads from (such as a Curse, github, or spacedock listing).
  4. Packs of add-ons cannot be licensed as a whole and no ownership of a pack of add-ons is permitted.

Example:  You're releasing a mod and have decided to use the MIT License.  Packaged in your downloadable zip file, you include a LICENSE file with the full legalese text of the MIT License.  In your forum post where you link to the download, you put the words "License: MIT" next to the download link.  You ensure that in the place that you host your download-- for example, on your github repo, or your SpaceDock listing, or your Curse page, or whatever-- that it also clearly identifies that the mod is licensed MIT.

@Random-E, sorry that we had to snip your link.  Welcome to the forums, hope you have fun here!  :)

35 minutes ago, Snark said:

Hi folks-- just a gentle reminder that download links for mods need to follow the add-on posting rules.

In particular, please pay careful attention to the requirements of licensing:

@Random-E, sorry that we had to snip your link.  Welcome to the forums, hope you have fun here!  :)

I did see on ye olde SpaceDock that development was halted for some reason and I saw somewhere that AtomicTech was taking a break.

So, could you update the original post to include the new info?

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Random-E said:

So, could you update the original post to include the new info?

This is AtomicTech's thread, so it's up to @AtomicTech to update it if they want to.

If someone else wants to take over maintaining a release or development thread for the mod, they can spin up a thread of their own.  Just make sure to follow licensing guidelines, please.  ;)  (This includes not only following the forum rules about it per the add-on posting guidelines, but also ensuring that it's complying with the licenses of anyone else's work included in the mod.)

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, here-- please feel free to reach out to me (or anyone on the moderator team) if you have any questions.

Hey Zed'K,

I want to ask you a personal favor. I recently had to take a break from the forums, personal issues, and I can't access my account so I want to you relay a message here on this thread. Can you post a comment here and let the people I'm collaborating that I had to take a sudden, but neccesary break for personal reasons?

Thanks,
-James

received that from @AtomicTech's GitHub account. There is at least one precedent/antecedent/precedence for this.

Wishing a speedy return @AtomicTech. :targetpro:

Edited by zer0Kerbal

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You might want to read the opening post. Everything you need to know is there. However, @AtomicTech hasn't posted in a long time (see: zer0kerbal's post right above yours) so I'm pretty sure this mod project has halted.

Sad. Has anyone ever been given permission to pick up the project in their absence? I figure if we were allowed to, a bunch of people could get this back up and running.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

It would be nice if someone could upload some screenshots of what this mod adds, so that people can get a better idea of the parts in it.

The focus of this mod is set on these two things:

1. Solar thermal rocketry. Instead of using nuclear reactors, you use vast, reflective, lightweight curved mirrors to concentrate sunlight into points in a specific engine to heat the propellant. The mirrors take up a lot of space and would be quite fragile but they're safer and lighter than a mass of radioactive material and its shielding, and its fuel (the Sun itself) never runs out. A solar thermal rocket safely runs hotter than nuclear thermal so the engine's Isp can easily be 1.2x to 2x as good as NERVA-esque nuclear thermal.

NickStevensSolarMoth09.jpg NickStevensSolarMoth13TB.jpg

2. Beamed power. Instead of concentrating solar energy into an engine's chamber, it's converted to electricity to power a laser gun that produces an extremely powerful beam of whatever radiation between Microwaves and X-rays, whatever works for the distance and target environment at hand. The beam target is either a field of specialized receiver panels on a celestial body's surface, or it's a spaceship with a very large receiver surface like the Solar Moth. The principle is the same as the microwaves that are used to carry Wi-Fi connections or whatever the frequency of a Samsung Galaxy wireless charger is.

A beamed power infrastructure can also include chains/relays of satellites that are able to send and receive from each other and can send power to odd places like Earth's south pole when it's nighttime 24/7 for whatever fraction of a year, or a small planet that happens to be in Lagrange Point 2 (always in the shadow) of a larger inner planet. The principle is the same as setting up two or more mirrors so you can see the back of your head.

Kingatua_space_solar_2.jpg solar-power-satellite-providing-power-to-the-uk-night-time-frazer-nash-consultancy-3.jpg?sfvrsn=9fa99e12_0&size=705 Yumen-Xinneng-50MW-molten-salt-tower-CSP

16 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The focus of this mod is set on these two things:

1. Solar thermal rocketry. Instead of using nuclear reactors, you use vast, reflective, lightweight curved mirrors to concentrate sunlight into points in a specific engine to heat the propellant. The mirrors take up a lot of space and would be quite fragile but they're safer and lighter than a mass of radioactive material and its shielding, and its fuel (the Sun itself) never runs out. A solar thermal rocket safely runs hotter than nuclear thermal so the engine's Isp can easily be 1.2x to 2x as good as NERVA-esque nuclear thermal.

NickStevensSolarMoth09.jpg NickStevensSolarMoth13TB.jpg

2. Beamed power. Instead of concentrating solar energy into an engine's chamber, it's converted to electricity to power a laser gun that produces an extremely powerful beam of whatever radiation between Microwaves and X-rays, whatever works for the distance and target environment at hand. The beam target is either a field of specialized receiver panels on a celestial body's surface, or it's a spaceship with a very large receiver surface like the Solar Moth. The principle is the same as the microwaves that are used to carry Wi-Fi connections or whatever the frequency of a Samsung Galaxy wireless charger is.

A beamed power infrastructure can also include chains/relays of satellites that are able to send and receive from each other and can send power to odd places like Earth's south pole when it's nighttime 24/7 for whatever fraction of a year, or a small planet that happens to be in Lagrange Point 2 (always in the shadow) of a larger inner planet. The principle is the same as setting up two or more mirrors so you can see the back of your head.

Kingatua_space_solar_2.jpg solar-power-satellite-providing-power-to-the-uk-night-time-frazer-nash-consultancy-3.jpg?sfvrsn=9fa99e12_0&size=705 Yumen-Xinneng-50MW-molten-salt-tower-CSP

I don't suppose you want to take over it?

I've got nothing left in the ol' modding tank :(

On 1/23/2023 at 10:28 AM, AtomicTech said:

I don't suppose you want to take over it?

I've got nothing left in the ol' modding tank :(

It's a long way off but I do intend to provide a Solar Thermal Rocketry ecosystem under Sterling Systems. On the whole, Modular Operation of Thermal tecH has been the core of Sterling Systems the whole time since I changed the scope from "expanding the stock engines progression" to "rivaling FFT and KSPIE." You can follow my dev thread to see what I've produced so far.

12 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It's a long way off but I do intend to provide a Solar Thermal Rocketry ecosystem under Sterling Systems. On the whole, Modular Operation of Thermal tecH has been the core of Sterling Systems the whole time since I changed the scope from "expanding the stock engines progression" to "rivaling FFT and KSPIE." You can follow my dev thread to see what I've produced so far.

Is this going to be a KSP 2 mod or KSP 1 mod?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.